graphic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » My Back Pages » Allan Clarke: The Hollies Need Me Back
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Vrinda wrote:
Quote:
Bravo Geoff!!! Another terrific insight into Hollies music history. I think what's lacking in their current apporach to recording new music is the failure of someone to offer that "contemporary ear" you referred to. With their next album, the band MUST garner a strong sense of what listeners are likely to listen to these days...in other words...a true "feel" for what's in the charts.

Holliesfan, unless my ears are decieving me, what's in the charts is not something I would want the Hollies to stick their hands into!

I agree completely. They should not try to compete with the teen acts of today; it would be totally ludicrous. Their audience is their longtime fans who have stuck by them. Personally I would rather them concentrate more on the band's legacy (ALL of it, not just the 60s) with archival material; some previously unreleased live stuff , showing just how brilliant they were on stage, would be dandy.
PostPosted:Tue Oct 09, 2007 23:47 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
holliesfan Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Dennis wrote:
Vrinda wrote:
Quote:
Bravo Geoff!!! Another terrific insight into Hollies music history. I think what's lacking in their current apporach to recording new music is the failure of someone to offer that "contemporary ear" you referred to. With their next album, the band MUST garner a strong sense of what listeners are likely to listen to these days...in other words...a true "feel" for what's in the charts.

Holliesfan, unless my ears are decieving me, what's in the charts is not something I would want the Hollies to stick their hands into!

I agree completely. They should not try to compete with the teen acts of today; it would be totally ludicrous. Their audience is their longtime fans who have stuck by them. Personally I would rather them concentrate more on the band's legacy (ALL of it, not just the 60s) with archival material; some previously unreleased live stuff , showing just how brilliant they were on stage, would be dandy.

Are there that many "longtime" Hollies fans out there to result in a new single climbing up the charts? All I'm saying is any new release would have to be appealing enough for both longtime as well as NEW listeners. it's just that the charts are very suspect these days and music tends to be all over the place.
PostPosted:Wed Oct 10, 2007 0:13 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Vrinda Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Quote:
Are there that many "longtime" Hollies fans out there to result in a new single climbing up the charts? All I'm saying is any new release would have to be appealing enough for both longtime as well as NEW listeners. it's just that the charts are very suspect these days and music tends to be all over the place.

If you can get a hold of someone who likes '60s music in general, especially British Invasion stuff, they would be interested in the Hollies, even if they are not longtime or devoted fans. I got a friend of mine (age 25) interested in them after sending her some of their videos from YouTube, and she told me if they came out with new stuff today, she might try it.

The music charts go all over like a boomerang. What's in today is out tomorrow, and there are so many genres around that it leads to the audience being so fractured that it's hard to get the masses interested in one singer or group and one type of music. Certain styles stay forever (unfortunately) like rap, hip-hop, heavy metal, alternative, and hard rock, and today's maisntream pop has been polluted by the good-for-nothing teen pop stars to have any amount of credibility. Give me the first British Invasion any day!
PostPosted:Wed Oct 10, 2007 1:34 am
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Bonus Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Geoff is putting right on the edge; the group needs a modern producer! After listening to Staying Power at least 100 times Iīm totally convinced. Thereīs very good material on that album but the arrangements and the production is not good enough.

If you listen to for example Suspendid Animation thereīs a good idea in doing it in a "Jamaica-way", but itīs not fullfilled. Something of the same goes with So damned beautiful. Itīs a lovely ballad, but missing the little extra in the production that could have made into a big hit. Another example is Let love pass. Itīs wonderful when performed live, but on record it sounds quite ordinary.
PostPosted:Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:12 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Gee Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

I think The Hollies are quite capable of "Straddling the line" between older fans tastes and younger fans today with their music.
PostPosted:Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:06 am

Last edited by Gee on Mon May 24, 2010 17:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Gee Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Re " Producers" - One top Producer was The late Gus Dudgeon.
PostPosted:Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:36 am

Last edited by Gee on Mon May 24, 2010 17:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
James Towill Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Lindisfarne were a great band. I only saw the last incarnation with Billy Mitchell (which was superb) and have seen Rod Clements solo and with his band on a few occasions - always brilliant. Hoping to see Ray Jackson with his buddies (including Clive Bunker from Tull) later this year when they play locally.

PostPosted:Wed Oct 10, 2007 15:16 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
holliesfan Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Geoff coles wrote:
The follow up album to "Staying Power" will be a very important release for them....hopefully with some of their OWN composed songs...
....and REAL drums (!)....when you have a Drummer of Bobby Elliott's supreme ability....and a Master gutarist like Tony Hicks...you MUST use them !
....and they need good Production....
....plus good support and Promotion from EMI too....!

Geoff, I couldn't have summed it up better. If the Hollies are ever to make their presence felt in the charts, all these factors must come into play. Do you have a feel as to whether the band would even consider a well established producer to work with them? Do you suspect EMI may have given up on their promotion efforts on behalf of the band?
PostPosted:Wed Oct 10, 2007 15:44 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Gee Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Well Bobby told me last week that they DID hope to do a follow up to "Staying Power".
PostPosted:Wed Oct 10, 2007 19:26 pm

Last edited by Gee on Mon May 24, 2010 17:48 pm; edited 2 times in total
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
shootthebusstop Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

I was so blown away by the Beatles LOVE album.The songs and new mixes were so exciting and helped me show my teenage daughter just how good the band were and now she is an ardent fan.A Hollies album like this would definitely bring new fans on board.I love the Kasabian shoot the runner/busstop mix on youtube(hence my name).Think would could be done with some giggling around(that's the technical term)and changing of some arrangements and a new producer who was both respectful of the past but also prepared to kick some of the old songs up the arse a bit(excuse my french).I'm getting excited already Very Happy .

PostPosted:Wed Oct 10, 2007 20:27 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Bonus wrote:
Geoff is putting right on the edge; the group needs a modern producer! After listening to Staying Power at least 100 times Iīm totally convinced. Thereīs very good material on that album but the arrangements and the production is not good enough.

If you listen to for example Suspendid Animation thereīs a good idea in doing it in a "Jamaica-way", but itīs not fullfilled. Something of the same goes with So damned beautiful. Itīs a lovely ballad, but missing the little extra in the production that could have made into a big hit. Another example is Let love pass. Itīs wonderful when performed live, but on record it sounds quite ordinary.

Yes, I agree regarding "Suspended Animation". I had previously mentioned that the track CRIED OUT for some remixes. This track had HIT written all over it, but it really needed some outside remixers to give this great cut the push it needed to make it sound even better. Remixing of tracks is done all the time. If only the band weren't so insulated they could have made a genuine hit out of "Suspended Animation" by letting some reknowned remixers have a go at it. Pet Shop Boys come to mind; they're even on the same label. This was a missed opportunity, but it's never too late. It could still be done. All it would take is some initiative on the part of the band or someone connected with them. An additional idea: put it out under a psuedonym! DJs might be more apt to give it a try if it didn't have 'The Hollies' name attached to it. Doing this would also stir up some much-needed publicity.
PostPosted:Wed Oct 10, 2007 20:46 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Vrinda Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Quote:
I was so blown away by the Beatles LOVE album.The songs and new mixes were so exciting and helped me show my teenage daughter just how good the band were and now she is an ardent fan.A Hollies album like this would definitely bring new fans on board.I love the Kasabian shoot the runner/busstop mix on youtube(hence my name).Think would could be done with some giggling around(that's the technical term)and changing of some arrangements and a new producer who was both respectful of the past but also prepared to kick some of the old songs up the arse a bit(excuse my french).I'm getting excited already . Very Happy

I like the old, simple, unembellished sound of sixties music, so I would be very careful about putting any new touches on the Hollies' sixities material. However, fixing up the fragmented sound structure that Geoff mentioned - vocals on one channel, instruments on the other - could be done to restore the quality of their sound.
PostPosted:Wed Oct 10, 2007 22:48 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
holliesfan Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Dennis wrote:
Bonus wrote:

Yes, I agree regarding "Suspended Animation". I had previously mentioned that the track CRIED OUT for some remixes. This track had HIT written all over it, but it really needed some outside remixers to give this great cut the push it needed to make it sound even better. Remixing of tracks is done all the time. If only the band weren't so insulated they could have made a genuine hit out of "Suspended Animation" by letting some reknowned remixers have a go at it. Pet Shop Boys come to mind; they're even on the same label. This was a missed opportunity, but it's never too late. It could still be done. All it would take is some initiative on the part of the band or someone connected with them. An additional idea: put it out under a psuedonym! DJs might be more apt to give it a try if it didn't have 'The Hollies' name attached to it. Doing this would also stir up some much-needed publicity.

Sort of like The Four Seasons AKA The Wonder Who when they recorded "Don't Think Twice" years ago. Four Seasons fans(like Hollies fans would do) had no problem deciphering the vocals of the Seasons although DJs uttered .."and that was The Wonder Who".
PostPosted:Thu Oct 11, 2007 1:32 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

holliesfan wrote:
Dennis wrote:
Bonus wrote:

Sort of like The Four Seasons AKA The Wonder Who when they recorded "Don't Think Twice" years ago. Four Seasons fans(like Hollies fans would do) had no problem deciphering the vocals of the Seasons although DJs uttered .."and that was The Wonder Who".

Exactly. I think it would be a great idea. Tears For Fears did a similar thing when they put out a record under the name Johnny Panic and the Bible of Dreams. It was an experimental track without their usual vocals so nobody knew right away who it really was. The sound of the new lineup of the Hollies is not known to those outside of regular fans, so this would be a good way to get them to listen without prejudice.
PostPosted:Thu Oct 11, 2007 3:45 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
holliesfan Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

[quote="Dennis"][quote="holliesfan"]
Dennis wrote:
Bonus wrote:
d .."and that was The Wonder Who".

Exactly. I think it would be a great idea. Tears For Fears did a similar thing when they put out a record under the name Johnny Panic and the Bible of Dreams. It was an experimental track without their usual vocals so nobody knew right away who it really was. The sound of the new lineup of the Hollies is not known to those outside of regular fans, so this would be a good way to get them to listen without prejudice.

I wasn't aware of that.....Johnny Panic and the Bible of Dreams, wow...now there's a name you're not likely to forget.. Very Happy. Of course a Hollies momentary name change would need to be a bit more subtle....any ideas? In reality, I'm not sure the lads would want to take a bold step like changing a name they've had for lo these many years.
PostPosted:Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:19 am
graphic
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » My Back Pages
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next