graphic
Goto page 1, 2  Next
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Words and Music » Distant Light released by Magic Records
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
James Towill Post subject: Distant Light released by Magic Records
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Yet another issue of DL, this time by Magic:

THE HOLLIES « Distant Light »

3930631 - CD DIGIPAK 13 TITRES - 15 euros

Remasterisé en haute définition 24-bit – Remastered in high definition 24-bit

What A Life I’ve Led / Look What We’ve Got / Hold On / Pull Down The Blind / To Do With Love / Promise Land / Long Cool Woman (In A Black Dress) / You Know The Score / Cable Car / A Little Thing Like Love / Long Dark Road / Bonus Track : Oh Granny / Long Cool Woman (In A Black Dress) (Live).

PostPosted:Tue Sep 25, 2007 16:20 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Tony Wilkinson Post subject:

If 'Long cool woman' is from the Mainz radio concert then it would be well worth having, but no doubt it will be the '76 New Zealand one 'again'
PostPosted:Tue Sep 25, 2007 17:43 pm
graphic
Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
James Towill Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Tony Wilkinson wrote:
If 'Long cool woman' is from the Mainz radio concert then it would be well worth having, but no doubt it will be the '76 New Zealand one 'again'

Yeah, as well as releasing the whole Live Hits recently, Magic have tagged most of it onto relevant albums as bonus cuts.

PostPosted:Tue Sep 25, 2007 18:15 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Magic does a bangup job with packaging of their CDs, but as for sound? Their "Out On The Road" was horrible. Somebody fell asleep at the switch because THE ALBUM TRACKS ARE ALL IN MONO. If only EMI would put it out, IN STEREO. Geoff, can you help? PLEASE!
PostPosted:Wed Sep 26, 2007 19:40 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Gee Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

There IS a market and a demand for a Remastered version of "Out On The Road"
PostPosted:Wed Sep 26, 2007 20:47 pm

Last edited by Gee on Wed May 26, 2010 17:17 pm; edited 2 times in total
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
carlane3 Post subject:
Banjo

Banjo

Geoff coles wrote:
I am working on trying to persaude both EMI and the band that there IS a market and a demand for a "crystal clear" Remastered version of "Out On The Road" - Finally giving this Classic album it's belated UK release at long last....
(hopefully remastered by Peter Mew at Abbey Road, like as with the recent re-issue of "Romany" ....)

I have suggested some relevant "Bonus" tracks too.....

1.Magic Woman Touch - "Single mix" version 06 October 1972 (hopefully they can correct the vast "Dropout" flaw on the intro of the single master tape.....)
2.Jesus was A Crossmaker - USA "Single Edit" version
3.Long Dark Road - "Live version" - Vocal: Tony Hicks
4.Long Cool Woman - "Live Version" - Vocal: Terry Sylvester
5.He Ain't Heavy...He's my Brother - "Live version" - Vocal Mike Rickfors, Organ : Bernie Calvert.

I DID enquire re other Rickfors era songs such as "Heaven in Her Heart", "(18-19 April 1972), "On The Summer Side of Life" (27-28 April 1972) , and "Nearer To you" (Version One - 12 September 1972)....
....however I am informed that Both EMI people and The Hollies HAVE recently listened to these Recordings and, sadly, there are Good reasons why they are unissued...and I guess we have to accept that (Shame !)

I have suggested the belated UK issue of the Second Rickfors album...and those Five Bonus tracks......we can now only wait...and hope !

Excellent Job !!! Perhaps they will finally listen to a voice of reason. As far as the unreleased tracks, it is hard to believe that the Hollies recorded material too bad to release. perhaps the recordings themselves are damaged beyond repair and restoration. Thank You Geoff for all your effort!!!! Very Happy
PostPosted:Wed Sep 26, 2007 23:35 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
holliesfan Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Geoff, without a doubt...you're the man! As always, great work.
PostPosted:Thu Sep 27, 2007 0:25 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
shootthebusstop Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

holliesfan wrote:
Geoff, without a doubt...you're the man! As always, great work.
I second that Cool .

PostPosted:Thu Sep 27, 2007 12:49 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
benny-b-goode Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Yes, thank you, Geoff. "Out On The Road" is an excellent album and it's time for a release in good sound quality. It is one of my Hollies favourites.
PostPosted:Fri Sep 28, 2007 11:44 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
DistantLight Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

I would like "Distant Light" to be rereleased by EMI again, It could contain these bonus tracks:

Salvation Band
Father Machine (any information about these two songs Geoff? Songwriters etc.)
Hey Willy
Row The Boat Together
Oh Granny (Clarke vocal version)
plus
Long Dark Road (live; Hicks vocal))
Long Cool Woman (live; Sylvester vocal)
Long Cool Woman (live with Clarke)

And re "Heaven In Her Heart", "On The Summer Side Of Life", "Nearer To You"

Did they tell you anything about the reasons they aren't released Geoff? Because according to the sessionography they've spend two days recording only "On The Summer Side Of Life", one day for the unissued "Nearer To You" and three days to record "Heaven In Her Heart" together with "Indian Girl" and parts of "Words Don't Come Easy". So what could these reasons be? I don't think the performances aren't good enough...

Do you know who has written "Heaven In Her Heart" and "On The Summer Side Of Life"?
PostPosted:Mon Oct 01, 2007 15:17 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
benny-b-goode Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Yep, any information about "On The Summer Side Of Life" and "Heaven In Her Heart" would be fine. No Rickfors-era Hollies song can be bad, can it ?`

And concerning "Distant Light". I was very surprised that "Hey Willy" and "Row The Boat Together" did not turn out to be bonus tracks on the Magic Records release. As far as I know those songs were a single A- and B-side in 1971. On all other Magic releases the singles of the same year the album was released were put on the album as bonus tracks.
O.K., we can't expect from Magic to put unreleased material on their issues. They have never done that before. But I'm very interested in "Salvation Band" and "Father Machine". I have never heard of those songs before. Are they unreleased "Distant Light" material ? If that is so the next two choices for EMI should be "Distant Light" with those two songs and "Out On The Road" in top sound quality for the first time and with "Heaven In Her Heart" and "On The Summer Side Of Life" on it.
PostPosted:Mon Oct 01, 2007 16:34 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

carlane3 wrote:
Geoff coles wrote:
I am working on trying to persaude both EMI and the band that there IS a market and a demand for a "crystal clear" Remastered version of "Out On The Road" - Finally giving this Classic album it's belated UK release at long last....
(hopefully remastered by Peter Mew at Abbey Road, like as with the recent re-issue of "Romany" ....)

1.Magic Woman Touch - "Single mix" version 06 October 1972 (hopefully they can correct the vast "Dropout" flaw on the intro of the single master tape.....)
5.He Ain't Heavy...He's my Brother - "Live version" - Vocal Mike Rickfors, Organ : Bernie Calvert.

I DID enquire re other Rickfors era songs such as "Heaven in Her Heart", "(18-19 April 1972), "On The Summer Side of Life" (27-28 April 1972) , and "Nearer To you" (Version One - 12 September 1972)....
....however I am informed that Both EMI people and The Hollies HAVE recently listened to these Recordings and, sadly, there are Good reasons why they are unissued...and I guess we have to accept that (Shame !)

I have suggested the belated UK issue of the Second Rickfors album...and those Five Bonus tracks......we can now only wait...and hope !

Excellent Job !!! Perhaps they will finally listen to a voice of reason. As far as the unreleased tracks, it is hard to believe that the Hollies recorded material too bad to release. perhaps the recordings themselves are damaged beyond repair and restoration. Thank You Geoff for all your effort!!!! Very Happy

Let's not forget the remaining two live tracks from the same US TV broadcast: "Bus Stop" with Rickfors on lead vocal and "Carrie-Anne" with shared lead vocals among Hicks, Rickfors, and Sylvester. If those 5 live tracks could get an official release, this would be a dream come true. These live tracks are pure dynamite. Care must be taken that they are speed-correct, as I've sometimes heard them transferred TOOO SLOOOW.

There was also a US Epic "single edit" version of "Slow Down", at 2:28.
PostPosted:Mon Oct 01, 2007 19:16 pm

Last edited by Dennis on Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:41 am; edited 2 times in total
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Geoff coles wrote:

Giving credit where it is due, Mikael Rickfors shares lead vocal with Tony Hicks on "Long Dark Road", as he finishes the song in rousing fashion. Rickfors also plays lead guitar on this one, and does a superb job of it, too.
PostPosted:Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:36 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Gee Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

I spoke with Bobby Elliott last night.....I drew his attention to the fact that MANY Hollies fans would love to see "Out On The Road" given a decent remastering, plus the "Bonus Tracks" we have mentioned and finally get a UK issue on CD, much like the recent re-issue of "Romany"....
Bobby noted this....
PostPosted:Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:26 am

Last edited by Gee on Mon May 24, 2010 18:01 pm; edited 2 times in total
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
DistantLight Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Thanks a lot Geoff Exclamation Good to know that you have talked to Bobby and pointed out what we are thinking. I hope Tony remembers who wrote these songs and they will maybe put them out on future releases. If they are unfinished they could maybe finish them now...?

Nice information concerning a new album - let's hope they think about writing their own songs if they'll ever record again!
PostPosted:Thu Oct 04, 2007 14:33 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Words and Music
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic

Goto page 1, 2  Next