graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Write On » Hollies Movie
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Vrinda Post subject: Hollies Movie
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Just imagine if they were to make a movie (made for TV, cable, or feature) about the Hollies. What cast would you pick and what eras should the film focus on? I would have to hire unknowns to play the boys, because I can't think of any well-known actors who could play the Hollies to perfection. Since their history is too long to smash into a one hour and forty-five-minute film, I would vote to do a TV or cable miniseries, starting with Graham and Allan's days as Ricky and Dane Young in the late fifties and early sixties; joining up with the Deltones; signing a record contract; picking up Tony; choosing the name Hollies; and Bobby joining. It could then continue through the Beat Boom, the British Invasion, Graham leaving, and Terry joining; and into the seventies and eighties, culminating with Allan retiring in 2000 and the boys deciding to press on. It would be a huge undertaking in terms of writing a good script and finding the right talent to pull it off. It's just a dream, but I'm interested in seeing all your thoughts.
PostPosted:Thu Sep 20, 2007 2:10 am
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
shootthebusstop Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

I think it would be so hard to get actors to play the boys convincingly but I have this idea of Rupert Graves playing Allan.There's something about the eyes.

PostPosted:Thu Sep 20, 2007 12:15 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
snowflake Post subject:
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

Orlando Bloom should play Allan -- I noticed the resemblance the first time I saw him!

PostPosted:Thu Sep 20, 2007 12:34 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Vrinda Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Orlando Bloom does resemble Allan - especially near the eyes. Though when I came across some photos of him doing a very ... well, what shall I say - private hygienical act on a public beach, I lost any interest I had in him. With proper makeup and hairstyling, and the right clothes, he could look like a British rocker.

Usually when they cast these types of movies, they hold auditions and somtimes hundreds of actors turn out. They made a TV movie on Sonny and Cher here a few years ago, and I saw photos of some of the women who were auditioning for Cher. They were all dead ringers for her! None of them were famous actresses, and the girl they actually picked to play Cher was a little prettier than she was, but the guy who played Sonny looked and acted just like him, and they were both very convincing!

VH1, a cable music channel in the U.S., did a movie on the Monkees in 2000, and the cast had all the moves and music down perfectly. I thought I was watching the actual TV show when I saw this film! The actors looked just like the Monkees and even talked like them.

Paula, Rupert's eyes do look a lot like Allan's, but can he play Allan as a teenager or at 20? Wink
PostPosted:Thu Sep 20, 2007 17:05 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Vrinda wrote:
Orlando Bloom does resemble Allan - especially near the eyes. Though when I came across some photos of him doing a very ... well, what shall I say - private hygienical act on a public beach, I lost any interest I had in him. With proper makeup and hairstyling, and the right clothes, he could look like a British rocker.

Usually when they cast these types of movies, they hold auditions and somtimes hundreds of actors turn out. They made a TV movie on Sonny and Cher here a few years ago, and I saw photos of some of the women who were auditioning for Cher. They were all dead ringers for her! None of them were famous actresses, and the girl they actually picked to play Cher was a little prettier than she was, but the guy who played Sonny looked and acted just like him, and they were both very convincing!

VH1, a cable music channel in the U.S., did a movie on the Monkees in 2000, and the cast had all the moves and music down perfectly. I thought I was watching the actual TV show when I saw this film! The actors looked just like the Monkees and even talked like them.

Paula, Rupert's eyes do look a lot like Allan's, but can he play Allan as a teenager or at 20? Wink
He could play the 80's Allan.I've seen him in a period drama in the mid 90s and he had wavy hair and he was very similar to Allan. Wink As for Orlando Bloom Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes .Actually I think we think too much of the lads to be comfortable seeing them substituted.I'd never be happy with anyone playing Allan, he's a one in a million Smile .

PostPosted:Thu Sep 20, 2007 21:39 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Vrinda Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Quote:
He could play the 80's Allan.I've seen him in a period drama in the mid 90s and he had wavy hair and he was very similar to Allan. Wink As for Orlando Bloom Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes .Actually I think we think too much of the lads to be comfortable seeing them substituted.I'd never be happy with anyone playing Allan, he's a one in a million Very Happy .

No one will ever replace the lads. Movies have been done on the Beatles with actors, and they never make us forget the originals. If the cast can play their roles with dignity and grace, than they will make us think even more of the boys than before. I agree, though - Allan is one in a million! Wink

I have this book of baby names, and I looked up Allan. It's an Irish Gaelic name that means (no kidding!), "handsome and charming." Two better words to describe this man have never been found! Very Happy
PostPosted:Thu Sep 20, 2007 22:34 pm

Last edited by Vrinda on Fri Jan 25, 2008 0:02 am; edited 1 time in total
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Vrinda wrote:
Quote:
He could play the 80's Allan.I've seen him in a period drama in the mid 90s and he had wavy hair and he was very similar to Allan. Wink As for Orlando Bloom Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes .Actually I think we think too much of the lads to be comfortable seeing them substituted.I'd never be happy with anyone playing Allan, he's a one in a million Very Happy .

No one will ever replace the lads. Movies have been done on the Beatles with actors, and they never make us forget the originals. If the cast can play their roles with dignity and grace, than they will mske us think even more of the boys than before. I agree, though - Allan is one in a million! Wink

I have this book of baby names, and I looked up Allan. It's an Irish Gaelic name that means (no kidding!), "handsome and charming." Two better words to describe this man have never been found! Very Happy
Ah! us Irish we know what we're talking about Smile ,but having said that my brother-in-law is also called Alan and he's neither handsome nor charming Rolling Eyes ,but that's another story!

PostPosted:Fri Sep 21, 2007 11:52 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Vrinda Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Quote:
Quote:
No one will ever replace the lads. Movies have been done on the Beatles with actors, and they never make us forget the originals. If the cast can play their roles with dignity and grace, than they will mske us think even more of the boys than before. I agree, though - Allan is one in a million!

I have this book of baby names, and I looked up Allan. It's an Irish Gaelic name that means (no kidding!), "handsome and charming." Two better words to describe this man have never been found!
Ah! us Irish we know what we're talking about Smile ,but having said that my brother-in-law is also called Alan and he's neither handsome nor charming Rolling Eyes ,but that's another story!

At the same time, Allan's real first name is Harold, which means "army ruler." That hardly suits him! Very Happy
PostPosted:Fri Sep 21, 2007 18:24 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Vrinda wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
No one will ever replace the lads. Movies have been done on the Beatles with actors, and they never make us forget the originals. If the cast can play their roles with dignity and grace, than they will mske us think even more of the boys than before. I agree, though - Allan is one in a million!

I have this book of baby names, and I looked up Allan. It's an Irish Gaelic name that means (no kidding!), "handsome and charming." Two better words to describe this man have never been found!

At the same time, Allan's real first name is Harold, which means "army ruler." That hardly suits him! Very Happy
Ooooooooooh! I dont know, Allan in uniform Wink Wink .His army would be an army of luuuuuuuuuv Laughing Laughing .

PostPosted:Fri Sep 21, 2007 21:22 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Vrinda Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Ooooooooooh! I dont know, Allan in uniform Very Happy Very Happy .His army would be an army of luuuuuuuuuv Wink Wink .

That could be the name of a hit song, "Army of Love"! Very Happy All the soldiers would have the same long hair cuts, and their uniforms would consist of mod suits, thin ties, stovepipe pants, and cuban-heeled boots! Wink I wouldn't mind engaging in hand-hand-combat with them! Very Happy
PostPosted:Fri Sep 21, 2007 22:47 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

I'm ready to sign up now Wink .

PostPosted:Sat Sep 22, 2007 8:15 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
katdowl Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

shootthebusstop wrote:
Vrinda wrote:

He could play the 80's Allan.I've seen him in a period drama in the mid 90s and he had wavy hair and he was very similar to Allan. Wink As for Orlando Bloom Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes .Actually I think we think too much of the lads to be comfortable seeing them substituted.I'd never be happy with anyone playing Allan, he's a one in a million Smile .

If there was a movie the only person I could see playing Allan is Antonio Banderas Smile
PostPosted:Sat Sep 22, 2007 10:10 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Vrinda Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Quote:
If there was a movie the only person I could see playing Allan is Antonio Banderas Smile

This whole thread's gone crazy! Very Happy

Antonio Banderas is a nice guy and a good actor, but he's in no way a good choice to play Allan!
PostPosted:Sat Sep 22, 2007 15:51 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

I love The Hollies as everyone does here, but let's get real. The band is not larger than life personality-wise or popular enough with the masses to warrant a film.
PostPosted:Mon Sep 24, 2007 0:07 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Vrinda Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Quote:
I love The Hollies as everyone does here, but let's get real. The band is not larger than life personality-wise or popular enough with the masses to warrant a film.

Neither were the Monkees or Sonny and Cher, yet VH1 and CBS did movies on them, respectively. We are talking "what if" here. VH1 even did a film about the first band that ever opened at Woodstock, a band that disappeared as quickly as they became famous. It could be done, but we're not talking about anything on a grand scale for theatrical release that could generate big bucks. If it were a TV or cable movie or miniseries, it could be done. They work on lower bugets, and often are more reliant on realistic casting and storytelling than the major studio productions.
PostPosted:Mon Sep 24, 2007 2:08 am
graphic
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Write On
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Page 1 of 4