The Hollies Forum Index » Elevated Observation » people you see
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Anthony Post subject: people you see
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Hi all,
I was working in the city yesterday when I saw Gerry Marsden walking down the street, it was a bit of a thrill as he was one of the biggest acts in the 60's. Now I wished I had just gone up and said a quick Hi. I bet he could not have walked down the street in Melbourne in the mid 60's.

PostPosted:Thu Sep 13, 2007 21:27 pm
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
SpartyScott Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

The day before the failed presidential election of, I guess, 1980, I shook Walter Mondale's hand at a rally. I was a college student at the time.

Yes, as pitiful as it sounds, that's my brush with greatness. Crying or Very sad
PostPosted:Fri Sep 14, 2007 0:13 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Vrinda Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

In 1997, I was a junior in high school, and we had to do a research paper on a living American who was making a contribution to their field and to the community. I did Stephen Sondheim, the Broadway composer. We each had to write to the person were were writing about. No one expected to get a response, and our teacher was not going to grade us on that if we did, but some of us did get responses, including me. I got an autographed photo of him, plus a typed card - typed by him - telling me which biographies on him I could use to answer some of the questions I asked in my letter. I still have the autographed photo, somewhere in my closet! That's the closest I got to ever "meeting" a celebrity.
PostPosted:Fri Sep 14, 2007 2:15 am
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
chig Post subject:
Banjo

Banjo

I have a couple of memories from the 60's.

I was at school in London and we walked to a swimmimg pool near Fleet Street for our lessons . One day we met Billy Fury in a side street and talked to him.

The other was while I worked in a bank in Baker Street and I spoke a few times on the phone to one of our customers - Mr N S Engel - known popularly as Scott Walker of The Walker Brothers

PostPosted:Fri Sep 14, 2007 7:30 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
speedwaybloke Post subject:
Banjo

Banjo

It was about 1974 or 1975 that I met Eric Sykes. In Napier, New Zealand, I had put my motorcycle in for a scheduled service one Saturday morning. I was wandering around the streets when I saw someone leaning against the doorway of a motel smoking a cigar. As I got closer I recognised him. I said good morning and then spoke to him for a few minutes. I am a big fan of his work and was a bit overawed. I did gush a little. He was touring with a play along with Jimmy Edwards whom he said was still inside "waiting for the gun to go off." My provisional motorcycle license was a paper document and I got his autograph on the back of it. I had it for many years until it went missing in one of our moves. I saw "The Plank" again a few nights ago. It is still funny after all these years.
PostPosted:Fri Sep 14, 2007 7:58 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
holliesfan Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Years ago I met Muhammed Ali (Cassius Clay) in the Kansas City airport. I recall being in awe as I reached out to shake his hand. He was such a gentle and kind man and we spoke for about 5 minutes or so. Being so close to him, I couldn't imagine what it must have been like to be in the same ring. I probaby would have run forever to avoid being hit... Very Happy
PostPosted:Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:18 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
shootthebusstop Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

I met Mike Pender of the Searchers after a gig in my home town in 1988.I shook his hand ,said I was a fan and that I had one of his records.He laughed and said "only one"?I replied",well it's an album",he laughed again.

PostPosted:Fri Sep 14, 2007 13:27 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
SheLenka Post subject:
Banjo

Banjo

Thanks to Knut from this forum, I met Peter Daltrey of Kaleidoscope/Fairfield Parlour this year in Prague for a radio inteview. It was a nice 2-hour chat and a real pleasure. Cool
PostPosted:Mon Sep 17, 2007 20:00 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Vrinda Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

My dad used to work for Air India in the fifties and sixties, and in 1957 - while he was working the night shift in the baggage handling facility - he was asked by an Indian Air Force colonel to babysit his bratty 16-year-old daughter's French poodle. My dad didn't like the girl, and wanted nothing to do with her dog, but his friend and co-worker insisted he do it, otherwise the colonel's daughter will raise a bing stink about it and they'd all be fired. So, my dad puts the dog on a leash and walks it around the perimeter of the baggage loading room. After a while, he was alone there as his friend stepped out for a few minutes. The friend came back later with two people - a man and a woman - whom my dad recognized instantly as Stewart Granger and Barbara Rush. They were in India for the Indian premiere of their film Harry Black (released in the US as Harry Black and the Tiger). My dad's friend was telling him to come over to them and have his picture taken. Stewart Granger was calling out to my dad, "Hey, kid, come over here!" but my dad declined, as there was no one with whom and nowhere to leave that damn French poodle, and he didn't want to pose in a photo with two of Hollywood's biggest movie stars holding onto a dog's leash. He didn't want to associate a wonderful celebrity meeting with something he didn't like! (caring for that snippy dog!)
PostPosted:Mon Sep 17, 2007 22:43 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
malco Post subject:
Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar

I have had the privelege of chatting with Bernie and Bobby after a Hollies concert at the Sydney Hordern Pavilion in 1976 and with John Paiva of the Four Seasons at the same venue. Also I caught up with Frank Allen and John McNally of the Searchers just last year at the Woonona Bulli R.S.L. club.
PostPosted:Sun Dec 02, 2007 1:15 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
loenen16 Post subject: meet people
Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar

hi folks
a bit naughty maybe , we meet the hollies in eastbourne at the convention in 2006 ,
and visit after that a brillant concert ,what more do we want to meet celebrities from that kind very pleasant memories on that one .
greetings bernard ,almelo
PostPosted:Sun Dec 02, 2007 22:29 pm
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
DistantLight Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Currently I work at the local newspaper and I've done a telephone-interview with Mick Box of Uriah Heep. He was very friendly and it was really interesting to ask him all the question that I wanted. Next Monday they play a gig in Solingen, where I live. He has put me and my girlfriend on the guestlist and asked if we'd like to drink a beer with him afterwards.
PostPosted:Mon Dec 03, 2007 16:45 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Shelley Post subject: People we see
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

The other day I was in central London meeting a friend of mine when I was about to cross the road and heard someone talking on his mobile, I recognised the voice and when I turned to look it was Noel Clarke who plays Mikey Smith - Rose Tylers boyfriend in Dr Who, my son is annoyed with me that I didn't stop to speak to him or get an autograph.

I work in a small supermarket in the Docklands area, and was doing evenings recently, one night a man come in and I thought to myself that I recognised him, but just thought he was a customer from during the day. The next night he came in and I made a joke about him looking like a pop star, he said he was 35 years ago, it was Les Mckeown from the Bay City Rollers, who has an office nearby as well as continuing his singing.
PostPosted:Mon Dec 03, 2007 18:44 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
shootthebusstop Post subject: Re: People we see
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Shelley wrote:

I work in a small supermarket in the Docklands area, and was doing evenings recently, one night a man come in and I thought to myself that I recognised him, but just thought he was a customer from during the day. The next night he came in and I made a joke about him looking like a pop star, he said he was 35 years ago, it was Les Mckeown from the Bay City Rollers, who has an office nearby as well as continuing his singing.
Is he still wearing the three quarter-length tartan trousers and matching scarf.A bit of a give away Laughing Laughing ?

PostPosted:Mon Dec 03, 2007 21:58 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Anthony Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Les was in Australia not that long ago as part of a larger concert of stars from yesterday,

PostPosted:Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:10 am
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Elevated Observation
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Page 1 of 2