graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Write On » After the Fox
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Vrinda Post subject: After the Fox
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

I've heard the theme to After the Fox and have seen some YouTube videos of the opening credits, but what I'd like to know is how they got the Hollies to do the song with Peter Sellers. Did the film makers want them specifically to do it?
PostPosted:Tue Aug 21, 2007 19:50 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Gee Post subject: Who is The Fox.....?
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Yes The Hollies were asked to do the title song for the Comedy film Starring Peter Sellers......

Recorded on 10 May 1966,at Abbey Road Studios, With Composer Burt Bacharach on piano and Ex-Manfred Mann member Jack Bruce ( Just about to form Cream with Eric Clapton and Ginger Baker ) standing in on Bass Guitar....(This was just after Eric Haydock had left The Hollies).....

Legend has it Ron Richards Produced The Hollies vocals ....while Sir George Martin Produced Peter Sellers....and both Ron and George kept turning up the volume of their own artist respectively....! - However it seems Burt Bacharach actually Produced it overall.....!

A Now Rare Mono single of this was issued on United Artists in September 1966 (UP 1152)...around the time of "Stop Stop Stop" the following month..
....but it failed to chart....The 'B' side was not by the Hollies tho'
This Mono version was later included on the UK "Rarities" Album of November 1988....(EMI EMS 1311).

A Rare Stereo version of it is on the American "30th Anniversary:1963-1993" Three CD Set.....

In the 90's The Hollies actually performed it "Live" with a Backing tape of The late Peter Sellers....

However Graham Nash, back in 1966, Later said he was very dissatisfied with the Recording......
PostPosted:Wed Aug 22, 2007 7:29 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Bonus Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Interesting info, Geoff!

But on what ground has it come to the conclusion that Burt Bacharach was the producer (sometimes itīs also said to be George Martin)?

I think we all agree that Jack Clegg was the sound engineer, or.....?
PostPosted:Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:26 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Vrinda Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Thanks for clearing that up, Geoff!

So Peter Sellers and the Hollies didn't record their vocals in the same studio at the same time?
PostPosted:Wed Aug 22, 2007 16:36 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
SpartyScott Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

They were there together in the studio.

On the "Hollies Rarities" CD, I'm sure that the liner notes talk about the recording session.

I think it was Clarke quoted as saying that he was amused by seeing Sellers "kill" the piano with a karate chop.

If I was at home, I'd pull out my CD liner notes and type them out. I'll do it later, if someone doesn't beat me to it.

(and by the way, the movie's not particularly funny, IMO)
PostPosted:Wed Aug 22, 2007 16:43 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Vrinda Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Maybe they should have had the Hollies co-star. That would have made it fun to watch!
PostPosted:Wed Aug 22, 2007 17:17 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Gee Post subject: Foxy goings on.....?
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

The Hollies and Peter Sellers were there in the studio together....

The Booklet to "Long Road Home:1963-2003" page 12, actually states that Burt Bacharach was The Producer.
PostPosted:Wed Aug 22, 2007 18:16 pm

Last edited by Gee on Wed May 26, 2010 17:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Gee Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Re above....although they were an EMI act...The Hollies COULD appear on United Artists , as it was a Film Theme song (Like Film Soundtracks music could appear on a Film Companies Record Label).....there was a special arrangement for such things I understand, tho' there were some exceptions....The Hollies "Now's The Time" (1963) is NOT on the Decca album soundtrack of "It's All Over Town" despite being from that film....possibly as They used it as an EMI Parlophone 'B' side themselves.....
PostPosted:Wed Aug 22, 2007 18:23 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Vrinda Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Thanks again, Geoff and Sparty!

I only saw a few minutes of the movie a few months ago, but correct me if I'm wrong: The Hollies don't actually appear in this film, do they? Someone on the imdb said they did.

They're not listed as actors in the film's cast page, but as performers and miscellaneous crew.
PostPosted:Wed Aug 22, 2007 19:40 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Gee Post subject: Chasing After the Fox.....?
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

No The Hollies....only sing the opening song....so I understand - I have Never heard any mention of them being seen in the film....

They were all great fans of Peter from "The Goon Show" days....yet Graham Nash particularly was unhappy about The song...or The Hollies involvment....probably as Graham wanted to concentrate on "Proper" music....remember he might also have wondered if doing a throwaway "Comedy Record" might get them another "Trivial Label".
PostPosted:Wed Aug 22, 2007 21:58 pm

Last edited by Gee on Wed May 26, 2010 17:27 pm; edited 2 times in total
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Vrinda Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Thanks again for the in-depth response, Geoff. Reading your posts is always fun! Chart-wise and artistically speaking, I can understand Graham's dislike of the song, but from another viewpoint, doing a movie theme song would expose any singer or band to a different audience and maybe increase their following. Doing backup with Peter Sellers would put them in his shadow, and people might not have even wondered who they were on hearing the song, except for Hollies fans. If they did a movie theme on their own for a major film release, like a James Bond or Hollywood film, then that would have gotten them more attenion, but singing backup with a major film star like Peter Sellers on a movie theme is no mere feat, and would have only proven what prolific performers the Hollies were - not they needed to prove it, but at that time, to establish themselves professionally as more than a singles group, it would have been another way of branching out. I thought, when I first heard about this song, "Cool, the Hollies did a movie theme song! These guys were all over the place!"
PostPosted:Wed Aug 22, 2007 22:44 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
SpartyScott Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

I would dearly love to get a DVD (or even good quality VHS) copy of "It's All Over Town." Does anyone know if this movie is available for purchase, either in the US or UK?
PostPosted:Wed Aug 22, 2007 23:08 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Sounds like a three-way battle of the titans, Did anyone win? I heard Bacharach was a strict taskmaster. He put Cilla Black through hell apparently during the recording of "Alfie". The results were worth it, though. Her version is lovely.

By the way, has anyone seen the Peter Sellers film from 1968 "I Love You Alice B. Toklas"? Now that's a funny movie, my favorite with him.
PostPosted:Thu Aug 23, 2007 0:39 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Gee Post subject: Whats it all about....Perfectionism ?
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

In a TV interview Sir George Martin spoke of the recording of "Alfie"......

He wanted Cilla Black to do it....She replied "ONLY if you can get Burt Bacharach himself to arrange it...."
As chance would have it Burt WAS in London....and readily agreed to come and arrange Cilla's version....
No question Burt did a really superb arrangement....and Cilla sang it....Burt then wanted another take....then another....then another....then....

George Martin in The Producer's chair noticed Cilla's vocal performances...and the Orchestras....were then starting to "go downhill".....so, after about "Take 14", he cut in :
"What Exactly are you Looking for Burt....?" he asked

"....Oh That bit of special Magic...." Burt replied

"I think we got that early on...." George replied
Indeed it was "Take FOUR" that was later picked by Burt and George as the Final Single....!
PostPosted:Thu Aug 23, 2007 10:52 am

Last edited by Gee on Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Gee Post subject: It' All Over Town....
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

I think possibly the film may now be out on DVD
PostPosted:Thu Aug 23, 2007 11:18 am

Last edited by Gee on Wed May 26, 2010 17:26 pm; edited 2 times in total
graphic