graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Words and Music » Mainz, & Magnum Centre , Irvine Hollies Concerts.....
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Gee Post subject: Mainz, & Magnum Centre , Irvine Hollies Concerts.....
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Hollies Vintage Concerts:

Rob

Can The Hollies be made aware that Hollies Fans everywhere WOULD love to see "Official" releases, if possible, of these Two Vintage 1980's concerts :

1) Mainz, Germany - Recorded 23 February 1982 - 17 Tracks in Excellent Sound Quality.... (Both "Write On" and "Blowin' in the Wind" on Polydor's "20 Years" Official CD release came from this concert recording...) - This show also features Rare "Live" versions of "Somethin' Ain't Right" and the Non-Studio Recorded "Johhny B.Goode" plus a really blistering Live version of "Long Cool Woman (In A Black Dress)"......

2) Magnum Centre, Irvine, Scotland - Recorded in June 1985 by Radio Clyde -
16 Tracks in Excellent Sound Quality.... (Including a very rare "Live" version of "Too Many Hearts Get Broken", plus "Gasoline Alley Bred" and "Stop in The Name of Love")

Both these concerts feature the "Clarke-Hicks-Coates" Line up of The Hollies, and given that they were Professionally recorded in Top Sound Quality ,then, if given a final "Mixing", "Equalisation", and "Mastering" to bring the sound up to Final Studio Production Quality, they would make for a Brilliant "Official" Release....
......possibly as a Two CD "Live" set....?

An "Official" CD release, in the BEST Sound Quality possible, would please The Hollies many fans worldwide...
Plus This would also ensure that The Hollies received THEIR "Due" for the Recordings...Rather than it going to the Bootleggers !!!!

We have had the DVD of the Current Hollies Line Up in concert...

....and now we are about to get a French Magic records issue of the 1976 "Hollies Live Hits" album with bonus tracks....
while The BBC have just re-screened the vintage 30 March 1969 Golders green Hippodrome "Hollies in Concert" Televised special....which is highly Likely to be repeated on the BBC's Digital channel very soon...

Thus there IS renewed interest in vintage Hollies "Live" concerts - especially with Allan Clarke...!

Can The Hollies be advised of the Fans wishes...?
PostPosted:Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:14 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Tony Wilkinson Post subject:

Phew, thanks Geoff,brilliant, hope this request gets past the censors (you mentioned Allan Clarke.......!!!!) good sales pitch (you gave reasons and benefits) these recordings would be massively welcomed by all traditional Hollies fans I'm sure.
PostPosted:Thu Aug 02, 2007 13:40 pm
graphic
Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
SpartyScott Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

I can give you EMI's reply right now - any new "greatest hits" compilation with all the old standbys would sell more copies than any live album.

Crying or Very sad
PostPosted:Thu Aug 02, 2007 13:53 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Gee Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

That may well be true....
....but I have just got a Compact Disc of "Demos and Rare solo tracks" by The Zombies and group members.... "Into The Afterlife",
and The Zombies, superb band tho' they were (and are again !)....had about TWO reasonable chart hits in the UK...plus a later big hit in the USA...after they had disbanded....and in their "Sixties lifetime" made just TWO official albums ("Begin Here" and "Odyssey & Oracle"...the second of which THEY had to help pay to get released !) ....and sadly , despite making superb music, they sold NOWHERE near as many records as The Hollies did ...! - Yet there IS still interest in their rare tracks.....and issues of their Sixties material....
...so too with MANY other underrated at the time Sixties and Seventies bands and artists...

We can , of course, easliy just sit back and say..."It will never happen"......
...BUT it's worth a try asking....yes ?
PostPosted:Thu Aug 02, 2007 16:09 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
James Towill Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

As far as I know, the Irvine recording is now owned or rights administered by River Records. They did an excellent job of re-releasing most of Gallagher & Lyle's back catalogue on CD a few years ago, and also released some live material from other bands (including a wonderful set from Lindisfarne) who had performed for Radio Clyde. Nothing much has been heard from them of late.

http://www.riverrecords.com/

PostPosted:Thu Aug 02, 2007 20:32 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

The Zombies had much more success in America than they did in the UK. Unbelievably, "She's Not There", a classic that many artists have covered but never made better than The Zombies, didn't even make the Top 10 in the UK. It was No. 1 in many cities in the US. The U.S. followup, the sublime "Tell Her No" (regulated to B-side status in the UK; those Decca honchos really knew how to pick 'em, didn't they?) topped out at No. 6. "She's Coming Home" made No. 58. And of course "Time Of The Season" hit No. 1 on many playlists in 1969, two years after it was recorded. No wonder they concentrate on touring here now. "Into the Afterlife" sounds interesting; I had some of those Neil MacArthur singles at one time.
PostPosted:Thu Aug 02, 2007 22:50 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Gee Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

The Trouble was in the UK as the Beat Boom turned into 1965's Folk Rock, R'n'B boom, and Soul.....the Zombies more studious smart image (with about 50 GCE Exam passes between the five guys !) was seen as both unfashionable and "at odds" with the "Image" of hairier gritty bands like The Stones, The Yardbirds, The Pretty Things and The Who.......pity !

Hailing from the decidedly "Unhip" St.Albans (!) ,The band members all looked like smart bright young men...which they were !..... plus DECCA had NO idea how to record them....they got the poorer DECCA studios to work in (as did both Stones and Moody Blues too....) , while their elderly DECCA staff Producer did not get on too well with these "Kids".... as it was generally felt that this "Pop Music" thing would soon fade....MANY did think that...even some of band's members themselves....

Rod Argent and Chris White donated some of their composing Royalties to help put "Odessy & Oracle" together....while Al Kooper was very instrumental in getting the album released in the USA....

The Beatles most certainly respected The Zombies...whose sophisticated mature Pop/Rock...with Colin Blunstone's atmospheric Lead Vocals...Rod Argent's great Electric piano work...superb Vocal Harmonies, and The late great Paul Atkinson's underrated guitarwork...plus early use of Mellotron ("Changes lV", "Walking in the Sun" etc)...saw them one of the most influential and ground breaking bands to emerge in the Sixties UK music scene....

Ironic...after they had split up "Time of The Season" was put out as a USA single...as an afterthought (Shades of Hollies "Long Cool Woman..." in 1971 !)....and was a smash hit....Rod Argent refused to reform The Zombies then....He and Chris White has just put ARGENT together....so some "Bogus" Zombies sprung up touring the USA....the actual band having to then take Legal action to stop this....

Today Rod and Colin have a fine Touring and occasionally Recording version of The Zombies...with full approval of Chris White who I understand has now retired....
PostPosted:Fri Aug 03, 2007 9:15 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Gee Post subject: Afterlife.....
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Re "Into The Afterlife" :
This CD is on BIG BEAT Cat No CDWIKD 266

Tracks are:
1.She's Not There - Neil MacArthur (Colin Blunstone)
2.Hung Upside Down - Neil MacArthur
3.Unhappy Girl - Rod Argent & Chris White
4.She Loves The Way They Love Her - Rod Argent & Chris White
5.Telescope (Mr. Galileo) - Rod Argent & Chris White
6.Walking in The Sun (Orchestral Mix) - The Zombies
7.Without Her - Neil MacArthur
8.Twelve Twenty Nine - Neil MacArthur
9.It Never Fails To Please Me - Rod Argent & Chris White
10.I Could Spend The Day - Rod Argent & Chris White
11.I Know She Will (Orchestral Mix) - The Zombies
12.Don't Try To Explain - Neil MacArthur
13.World Of Glass - Neil MacArthur
14.To Julia (For When She Smiles) - Neil MacArthur
15.If It Don't Work Out (Orchestral Mix) - The Zombies
16.Never My Love - Neil MacArthur
17.It's Not Easy - Neil MacArthur
18.Telescope (Mr.Galileo) - Chris White & Argent
19.Going To A Go-Go - The Zombies
20.Ma Non E Giusto (She's Not There - Italian Version) - Neil MacArthur

I believe "Neil MacArthur" (Colin Blunstone) was normally backed by musicians including members of The Zombies group...

This collection of Now Rare Singles tracks, Rare Tracks and Demos, plus Rare "Alternate Mixes" bridges the gap between The Zombies and both the prototype Argent Band and Colin Blunstone's seventies solo career.
PostPosted:Fri Aug 03, 2007 14:28 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Gee Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

I wonder if the French Magic records Might issue both The Mainz 1982 and Irvine 1985 Concerts in their Fine Hollies series....?
PostPosted:Sun Aug 05, 2007 10:27 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Knut Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Fine initiative, Geoff! But I doubt Magic is the company that can do this. To me it seems more likely that EMI Holland can do the job for us, considering the nice DVD/CD pack.

Sorry to correct you, Dennis, She's not there was no 1 i the UK while the Zombies toured Norway! Any other band had cancelled such a tour to do the most out of the situation in the home market. Not the polite Zombies. They are a bit like the Hollies in fact, but lacket UK hits after Tell her no. But Colin Blunstone (as Neil Macarthur) and Argent charted in the 70's. I have also bought the Into the afterlife CD. If there is a market for this release, a Hollies BBC live CD certainly would sell. Hollies must be one of the last big 60s bands not having a live at the BEEB CD available.

Chris White will join the Zombies for the Odyssey and oracle shows. I have booked my ticket for Shepherd's Bush on 8. March, any other Hollies fans going there?

Would you believe the Hollies had power to stay by evolution of their style from Buddy Holly ? That's for certain because they follow what goes around, write on and go out on the road. They did it then, they do it now - please do it always.
PostPosted:Sun Aug 05, 2007 12:16 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Gee Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Sounds great Knut....You should enjoy The Zombies show !
PostPosted:Sun Aug 05, 2007 12:25 pm

Last edited by Gee on Wed May 26, 2010 17:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Knut wrote:
Fine initiative, Geoff! But I doubt Magic is the company that can do this. To me it seems more likely that EMI Holland can do the job for us, considering the nice DVD/CD pack.

Sorry to correct you, Dennis, She's not there was no 1 i the UK while the Zombies toured Norway! Any other band had cancelled such a tour to do the most out of the situation in the home market. Not the polite Zombies. They are a bit like the Hollies in fact, but lacket UK hits after Tell her no. But Colin Blunstone (as Neil Macarthur) and Argent charted in the 70's. I have also bought the Into the afterlife CD. If there is a market for this release, a Hollies BBC live CD certainly would sell. Hollies must be one of the last big 60s bands not having a live at the BEEB CD available.

Chris White will join the Zombies for the Odyssey and oracle shows. I have booked my ticket for Shepherd's Bush on 8. March, any other Hollies fans going there?

I did my research. "She's Not There" by The Zombies reached No. 12 in the UK.
PostPosted:Sun Aug 05, 2007 21:00 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Knut Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Dennis, you are right! How can memory play me a trick like that?

Would you believe the Hollies had power to stay by evolution of their style from Buddy Holly ? That's for certain because they follow what goes around, write on and go out on the road. They did it then, they do it now - please do it always.
PostPosted:Sun Aug 05, 2007 21:35 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Knut Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

But the first part was right, the Zombies were on tour in Norway while She's not there went into the UK Top 20. Without proper promotion, it did not break the top 10. (Any similarity with Hollies later years?)

Geoff, here is the site for EMI Holland, which should give you the info you need. Let's cross our fingers.

http://www.emimusicpub.com/worldwide/around_the_world/holland_home.html

PostPosted:Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:20 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Chirpy Post subject: concerts
Banjo

Banjo

Folks,
Remember the Hollies doing the Cafe De Paris gig for Capital Gold recently? - well, the Zombies did one as well - http://www.capitalgold.com/article.asp?id=103402

Haven't seen it myself though...

Cheers,
Chirpy
PostPosted:Mon Aug 06, 2007 8:13 am
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Words and Music
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic

Page 1 of 1