graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Words and Music » The Hollies In Concert 1969
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
MichealC Post subject: The Hollies In Concert 1969
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

I found this show to be just plain interesting. As a Hollies performance, it wasn't up to much given the odd sound and its part live/ part pre-recorded nature. As an historical document it was great though.

My guess, and it is pure speculation, is that the band gave a more or less live performance in front of an audience and the "white suit" parts with the orchestra were filmed at another time without an audience. It looks that way to me.

The highlights for me were Carrie Anne and Maybe I'll Settle Down.

It's strange to look at how formal the '60s were, especially with a group like the Hollies. I wouldn't call them stiff but they seem to have their own stage attitude, I can't imagine them being remotely similar on stage a few years later.

I also thought the show had a weird vibe because you never exactly knew what was live and what wasn't, and the setting was a bit strange. For example, it looked like they didn't have enough amps and things for it to be real.

Still, it was great to see. Thanks BBC4.

Michael
PostPosted:Sun Jul 29, 2007 10:12 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
marko661 Post subject:
Banjo

Banjo

I agree with Michael. It was strange trying to work out what was live and what wasn't, and as to the stage presona, I suspect that this was because it was for TV rather than a real concert.

What did come through though was how great a drummer Bobby Elliot was then (and of course, now); I think they kept his live parts in.

It was funny seeing how much Terry Sylevester loved the camara: the rest of the group ignored it, treating as a live concert, wheras he took every oppertunity to look at it. Seeing soem Youtube videos you can see that he was always like that.

Was he miming On a carousel? If not, amazing how much he sounded like Nash.
PostPosted:Sun Jul 29, 2007 14:10 pm
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
shootthebusstop Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

I loved this piece of archive material.I think it should be released on dvd.Live or not it totally got me re-Hollified after,I'm afraid, a few years in the wilderness.And of course we got to hear Allan speaking(something I never heard before this).The band looked and sounded amazing but I found the audience hilarious!Alot of them would have been the same age or younger than the band but yet they looked like grannys and grandads(not that there is anything wrong with grannys and grandads, oh I think I'm digging a hole here Embarassed )

PostPosted:Sat Sep 01, 2007 20:35 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Anthony Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

I agree Terry seemed to love the camera, to me Terry just seemed so happy to be part of the Hollies he could not hide his delight.

PostPosted:Sun Sep 02, 2007 9:22 am
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Words and Music
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic

Page 1 of 1