graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Write On » Mikael Rickfors in Trollhättan, 20 July 2007
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Agneta Post subject: Mikael Rickfors in Trollhättan, 20 July 2007
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Hi everybody!
Yesterday I watched Mikael Rickfors perform for one hour, on a stage set up in a park in my home town Trollhättan, in the west of Sweden. He was accompanied by two young musicians: Steve Eriksson and Martin Gabriel. They were all playing acoustic, amplified guitars, and Eriksson sometimes an electric mandolin.

Mikael sang 13 songs; nine of them in English and four in Swedish, two of them from his time with the group Grymlings (Där gullvivan blommar and Mitt bästa för dig).
At least six of the songs were completely new, written on different islands in different parts of the world, he told us. Most of them were rather slow.

I didn't think he was going to do any Hollies songs, but right in the middle of the concert he started talking about his time with the Hollies, and said: "This is a little song that I think many of you have danced to." And then he surprised us by playing Bus Stop! It sounded alright, but of course there were no drums, and the ending was a bit different.

The last song was his very popular Swedish hit Vingar (wings), but he also did an extra number, another new song.

It was a good concert, but I think the audience had expected to hear more of the familiar songs. And that's what it says in the review in the local paper today: "The show would have gained from a more generous mix of hits and up-tempo songs."
Also, the two musicians, who weren't bad at all, opened the show by performing six of their own, unknown songs before Mikael came on stage, and that made the audience a bit impatient.

Anyway, it was a beautiful summer's evening, and Mikael was looking (and sounding) good, in a light coloured suit, black t-shirt and sun glasses, that came off later, as the sun set.

Here is a link to the review, if you want to see pictures from the show:
www.ttela.se/?article=31707

PostPosted:Sat Jul 21, 2007 20:43 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Martin Dodd Post subject: Re: Mikael Rickfors in Trollhättan, 20 July 2007
Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar

Agneta wrote:
Hi everybody!
Yesterday I watched Mikael Rickfors perform for one hour, on a stage set up in a park in my home town Trollhättan, in the west of Sweden. I didn't think he was going to do any Hollies songs, but right in the middle of the concert he started talking about his time with the Hollies, and said: "This is a little song that I think many of you have danced to." And then he surprised us by playing Bus Stop! It sounded alright, but of course there were no drums, and the ending was a bit different.

Hi
Thanks for posting up on that, I am just curious...what did he have to say about his time in The Hollies?

Best Wishes,
Martin
PostPosted:Sun Jul 22, 2007 9:08 am
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Agneta Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Hi Martin!

To be honest, I got so busy getting my camera redy to record when he mentioned the Hollies, I'm not sure exactly what he said, but it wasn't all that much. Probably just that he used to sing with a group called the Hollies, back in the seventies.

PostPosted:Sun Jul 22, 2007 19:15 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
snowflake Post subject:
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

Agneta, thanks for your concert review and for posting a link to the photos. Interesting that Mikael chose to perform "Bus Stop". Sounds like it was a good show!

PostPosted:Sun Jul 22, 2007 20:39 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Anthony Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Thanks for your thoughts on the show, looks like he still has fond memories of his days with the Hollies. When Mikael was with the band did he sing lead in Bus Stop in concert?

PostPosted:Sun Jul 22, 2007 23:32 pm
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Gee Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Yes, Mike Sang the Lead Vocal on "Bus Stop"....there is a "Live Version" of this recorded at a concert in Santa Monica which I understand is in existance...but NOT "Officially" !
PostPosted:Mon Jul 23, 2007 7:50 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Anthony Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Thanks Geoff. It would be fantastic if we had live DVD's of the Hollies line ups over the years much like the DVD with this line up. I'd love to see Mikeal doing more Hollies songs from his stay with the band.

PostPosted:Mon Jul 23, 2007 13:32 pm
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Anthony wrote:
Thanks for your thoughts on the show, looks like he still has fond memories of his days with the Hollies. When Mikael was with the band did he sing lead in Bus Stop in concert?

The live version with Mikael singing lead was excellent; the tempo was pumped up a notch, and it was abridged. Sounds like they just wanted to hurry through it and get it out of the way. Understandable, really, as that song was from a different time and lineup.
PostPosted:Tue Jul 24, 2007 21:26 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Agneta Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

I just want to add that I quite liked Mikael's new songs. I enjoy soft, acoustic music, and the few songs that I've had the chance to listen to again, have grown on me, like "Away Again", written on the Irish island Inisheer.
But it's hard to really appreciate new songs on the first hearing.

In an interview published two weeks ago, Mikael talks about the music he's writing now, and calls it more thoughtful, softspoken and inspired by folk music. He won't say if it's a pause from rock music, or a complete change of genre, but says that much of what he writes now, is for a trio or a quartet.

He also says that he's going into the studio this autumn and plans to have the album, his 13th, ready in the beginning of next year. (But on his website he says that he might release early fall.)

At the end of the interview it says that Mikael became known internationally as a frontfigure of the Hollies. That he took over as singer after Allan Clarke, but also played guitar, bass and piano, and wrote many songs. And that after two years of recording and touring, he left the band in 1973.

PostPosted:Thu Jul 26, 2007 18:56 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Write On
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic

Page 1 of 1