graphic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Words and Music » Witchy Woman & Papa Rain...finally!
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Agneta Post subject: Papa Rain
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

I was looking through some of my old fan club news letters. In the June/July 1972 issue, Bobby writes a little about each one of the ten tracks on the coming album, that was going to be called "Touch".(In the next news letter, secretary Rod Shields wrote that the name had to be changed, because The Supremes had just released an album with that name, and the release of the LP would be delayed because of this.)

Papa Rain was going to be on the LP, and Bobby wrote this about it:
"A slow, sad song which again shows Mikael can sing a bit. Tony and Terry come in to make up the three-way harmony. There are some rather tricky vocal breaks further along the line."

PostPosted:Wed Aug 08, 2007 19:47 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
James Towill Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Papa Rain sounds great, Agneta. Can't wait to hear it!

PostPosted:Wed Aug 08, 2007 20:29 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
carlane3 Post subject:
Banjo

Banjo

A very good track indeed....well worth waiting 30 odd years for. I hope they will put out the other unreleased rickfors tracks someday soon. Smile
PostPosted:Thu Sep 06, 2007 15:21 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
SpartyScott Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

carlane3 wrote:
A very good track indeed....well worth waiting 30 odd years for. I hope they will put out the other unreleased rickfors tracks someday soon. Smile

It's currently scheduled for release in 2037.

I hope I'm around to see it!
PostPosted:Thu Sep 06, 2007 20:04 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
carlane3 Post subject:
Banjo

Banjo

SpartyScott wrote:
carlane3 wrote:

It's currently scheduled for release in 2037.

I hope I'm around to see it!

Or hear it Laughing
PostPosted:Thu Sep 06, 2007 23:52 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
DistantLight Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Hi Agneta,

could you maybe, if you have the time, post what Bobby has written about the other 9 tracks that were supposed to be on "Touch"?
PostPosted:Mon Sep 10, 2007 18:06 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
benny-b-goode Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Was this album "Touch" supposed to be released after "Out On The Road" or instead of "Out On The Road" ?
PostPosted:Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:57 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

I think 'Touch' was to be the album that 'Romany' became. Manfred Mann's Earth Band recorded Stepping Sideways as their debut, then cancelled it and rerecorded a lot of tracks which eventually made their eponymous debut.

PostPosted:Wed Sep 12, 2007 14:18 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
carlane3 Post subject:
Banjo

Banjo

James Towill wrote:
I think 'Touch' was to be the album that 'Romany' became. Manfred Mann's Earth Band recorded Stepping Sideways as their debut, then cancelled it and rerecorded a lot of tracks which eventually made their eponymous debut.

It would be interesting to see what the original track lineup and program would have been and if the album artwork would have differed , besides the obvious title, from the Romany cover we all know and love.
PostPosted:Wed Sep 12, 2007 15:09 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Agneta Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

DistantLight wrote:
Hi Agneta,

could you maybe, if you have the time, post what Bobby has written about the other 9 tracks that were supposed to be on "Touch"?

Hi DistantLight,

certainly! I'm glad you asked.

Over to Bobby, June 1972.

"TOUCH. As this is Mikael’s first album with us, it is fitting that the first song on side one is written by him. The mood is mystically dreamy, with first Mike, then Tony in the guitar slot. Bernie plays some fine piano and organ.

WORDS DON’T COME EASY. Here, the backing track consists of Tony on his big ‘Martin’ acoustic and myself on congas. The latter having been recorded with tape echo, giving a rather strange effect. We originally did a fuller production on this, but the lonely simplicity of this version is more suited to the mood of the song.

CROSSMAKER. Bernie begins on piano, Mike comes in on bass to give Terry his first chance to sing lead on the album. A great song, this, by Judy Sills.

MAGIC WOMAN TOUCH. One of the more instant songs on the album. Tony is once more on acoustic, myself on footstamps, congas and one or two extra effects, plus Bernie on organ. Mike is, of course on voice assisted by Tes and Tone (Terence and Anthony).

DOWN RIVER. (or RIBBER – depending on where you live). Once more a piano intro, with Mikael singing a very moving love song with great words. The final section is a real spine tingler, an excellent finale to side one.

SIDE TWO

DELAWARE TAGGET & THE OUTLAW BOYS. A favourite song of mine which I think has great potential. It is about a young guy who is having a laugh with his mates, being at the age where he feels like rocking on a bit.

ROMANY. This is the story of a sailing ship called Romany. Unfortunately, she comes to grief on a coral reef. A wonderfully descriptive song with Mikael singing lead. When listening to this one, close your eyes: you can almost feel the room sway.

PAPA RAIN. A slow, sad song which again shows Mikael can sing a bit. Tony and Terry come in to make up the three-way harmony. There are some rather tricky vocal breaks further along the line.

LIZZY AND THE RAINMAKER. I like this one – it has a great feel and once more Tes sings. This story is that of a ‘Fancy man’ selling rain to some folks in West Texas. All – “for the small price of $ 100”.

BLUE IN THE MORNING. As Mikael’s song opened the album Tony’s plays us out. The tempo is up and Tony rocks a nice guitar solo.

Well - that’s our new album; I can use all the words in the world, but music of any form cannot be described in such a way. What I should really have written was … LISTEN for yourself."

Well, that was Bobbys’s views on the album Touch, and after the delay and changes, and the deletion of Papa Rain,he also reviews the three added songs on the album, now retitled Romany, in the September/October issue of the Fan Club newsletter. I can't resist including what he writes before the review too:

"Hello there, everybody! Here’s me, Drummer Bob, trying to get some kip in the back of our car, when Rod “the wheel” sticks this bit of paper in me and tells me to write something about the three new tracks on our new album. “Write”, I say, when we are bouncing along the M1 motorway at 85 miles an hour (Sorry, Officer 70) getting choked by diesel fumes and Rod’s St. Bruno (hand rubbed) flake. I’ve been at it all week-end (not that!). Just as I was about to watch the football on Sunday afternoon T.V., I got a phone call saying that Tony’s brand new customised, hotted-up Mini had blown up on the M1. His dad and I had to go and tow it all the way home at 25 miles an hour - Blimey! Phew! … Stop rambling, Bob; get back to what they want to know about, the three new tracks, right, magic time …

SLOW DOWN: A mid-tempo rock number, starting with Tony’s double tracked guitar ( an orange Gretch) leading into the full rhythm guitar, bass and me. Mike the Swede sings the verses, one section of which is purposedly tracked out of time to give a nice effect. All the harmonies come in for the “slow downs” in the chorus. Bernie plays a pukka ‘fairground’ organ solo. Oh, and not to mention Tony’s fantastic solo on his favourite instrument, Tambourine! …..

COURAGE OF YOUR CONVICTIONS: When our friends from Epic record in America heard this, they thought it would be the ideal follow up to our number one smash over there, “Long Cool Woman”. The tempo is similar to L.C.W. as Robin, our Manager, calls it: the words are quite interesting and a nice guitar riff runs through the song. A good dancer.

WON’T WE FEEL GOOD THAT MORNING: Up tempo-organ and guitar featured. Happy Hollies Harmonies (H.H.H.). Tony featured on voice in a nice little centre spot, arranged and conducted by him. It has been known for Paul Sylvester to sing this song in the back of cars. A possible future single release in the U.S.A.?"

Well, that's it. Bobby's great, isn't he? Hope you enjoyed reading this.

Agneta

PostPosted:Wed Sep 12, 2007 20:28 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Once again, many thanks Agneta. Great to read this after all these years!

PostPosted:Wed Sep 12, 2007 21:24 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
DistantLight Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Thanks a lot Agneta! Really interesting to read what he thinks or thought about the songs... I'm glad they've changed the "Touch" album to "Romany", though. With the more rocking songs on it it is stronger I think!

By the way... are there other articles written by some band members concerning other albums and songs?
PostPosted:Thu Sep 13, 2007 16:55 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Agneta Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

You are both welcome!

The albums "Hollies Sing Hollies", "Confessions Of The Mind" and "Distant Light" were all reviewed by the fan club secretary, but there is one more "review" by Bobby, of "Out On The Road", an album that I unfortunately haven't got yet.

I could post it if you are interested, perhaps after your review of that album on "Reflections Of A Time Long Past".
PostPosted:Sat Sep 15, 2007 22:03 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Agneta wrote:
You are both welcome!
I could post it if you are interested, perhaps after your review of that album on "Reflections Of A Time Long Past".

Yes please! Wink

There's a section on this forum where clippings can be scanned and posted, that might be quicker for you than type it all out!

Thanks again Razz

PostPosted:Sun Sep 16, 2007 9:41 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
MichealC Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Very interesting post Agneta. Thanks for sharing.
PostPosted:Sun Sep 16, 2007 9:59 am
graphic
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Words and Music
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next