graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
holliesfan Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Dennis wrote:
benny-b-goode wrote:
The new DVD is great, although I would have preferred original live sound instead of the dubbed studio masters over the film. Most of all I wondered why they chose that clip of "Blowin' In The Wind" while there is a colour clip with The Hollies performing the song live from 1968 around (still with Graham Nash). I have got it on a DVD I bought on Ebay called "The Hollies: The Nash Years". Some of the clips of "The Dutch Collection" are live on my other DVD. So one DVD has the better material but "The Dutch Collection" has the much better sound and image quality. So it's a nice contribution to my DVD collection. And with "The Baby" it was very exciting for me to see Mikael Rickfors perform with The Hollies. I have never seen material of that quality before (especially not of the Rickfors period).
All in all I am thankful for this DVD. We really need more of that !!!!

Agreed. The highlights for me among the clips I hadn't seen before:

Promo film for "I Can't Let Go". Some fine camera work here, from different angles. Opens with a medium close shot of Hollies Newboy Bernie Calvert. I can see how some females thought of him as the cutest. Excellent song and video.
Promo film for "Dear Eloise". Opens with Graham Nash writing a letter. Brings to mind the video shown on the US variety show The Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour, only this one is in black and white. Another topnotch song and video.
Promo film for "Listen To Me". Interesting concept, with all of the lads seated. Graham's last hurrah.
TV performance of "Gasoline Alley Bred". Have seen this before, but incomplete. This is absolutely great, with live vocals. It makes a world of difference when at least the vocals are live.
TV performance of "The Air That I Breathe", Another one with live vocals. Great.
TV performance of "Son of a Rotten Gambler". The Hollies got a rotten break when this one didn't get released in the US. I think this would have been a hit here. Stunning live performance. Super!
TV performance of "Sandy". I can appreciate this track more now. Live again.
"Star" and "Boulder to Birmingham" are good lipsyncs. I think they should have been given a chance as singles in the US too.

Dennis, you've really peaked my interest in purchasing the DVD. I hesitate simply because I'm not sure it will play on my DVD palyer. I believe it was once mentioned that you need an ALL Regions player. Do you have such a player or does the DVD work on your regular unit? Can you tell me where I can buy the ALL Region type? Any advice would be much appreciated. I really want to get my hands on this DVD...it sounds super.
PostPosted:Fri Mar 09, 2007 11:33 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

holliesfan wrote:
Dennis wrote:
benny-b-goode wrote:
The new DVD is great, although I would have preferred original live sound instead of the dubbed studio masters over the film. Most of all I wondered why they chose that clip of "Blowin' In The Wind" while there is a colour clip with The Hollies performing the song live from 1968 around (still with Graham Nash). I have got it on a DVD I bought on Ebay called "The Hollies: The Nash Years". Some of the clips of "The Dutch Collection" are live on my other DVD. So one DVD has the better material but "The Dutch Collection" has the much better sound and image quality. So it's a nice contribution to my DVD collection. And with "The Baby" it was very exciting for me to see Mikael Rickfors perform with The Hollies. I have never seen material of that quality before (especially not of the Rickfors period).
All in all I am thankful for this DVD. We really need more of that !!!!

Agreed. The highlights for me among the clips I hadn't seen before:

Promo film for "I Can't Let Go". Some fine camera work here, from different angles. Opens with a medium close shot of Hollies Newboy Bernie Calvert. I can see how some females thought of him as the cutest. Excellent song and video.
Promo film for "Dear Eloise". Opens with Graham Nash writing a letter. Brings to mind the video shown on the US variety show The Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour, only this one is in black and white. Another topnotch song and video.
Promo film for "Listen To Me". Interesting concept, with all of the lads seated. Graham's last hurrah.
TV performance of "Gasoline Alley Bred". Have seen this before, but incomplete. This is absolutely great, with live vocals. It makes a world of difference when at least the vocals are live.
TV performance of "The Air That I Breathe", Another one with live vocals. Great.
TV performance of "Son of a Rotten Gambler". The Hollies got a rotten break when this one didn't get released in the US. I think this would have been a hit here. Stunning live performance. Super!
TV performance of "Sandy". I can appreciate this track more now. Live again.
"Star" and "Boulder to Birmingham" are good lipsyncs. I think they should have been given a chance as singles in the US too.

Dennis, you've really peaked my interest in purchasing the DVD. I hesitate simply because I'm not sure it will play on my DVD palyer. I believe it was once mentioned that you need an ALL Regions player. Do you have such a player or does the DVD work on your regular unit? Can you tell me where I can buy the ALL Region type? Any advice would be much appreciated. I really want to get my hands on this DVD...it sounds super.

Buy the DVD immediately. Any recently purchased DVD player should play it. I just bought a VHS to DVD dubbing machine, the brand name is LG. Invest in a new unit if you haven't bought one in a few years. The DVD plays perfectly, no problem.
PostPosted:Fri Mar 09, 2007 16:19 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

MichealC wrote:
Yep, excellent DVD. Gold star here too. The highlight for me is the live (vocals) Son Of A Rotten Gambler. I dig Allan's preformance and outfit.

Downsides!:

The CD audio mixed over some of the performances comes off a bit weird and ultra- fake here and there. The interview with Tony and Terry isn't long enough! And Allan really looks terrible in some of the clips, he looks truly wrecked in some of them.

Anyways, an excellent DVD and package which no fan should be without.

Michael

Allan looks like he spent too much time in the noonday sun, basking and getting overcooked. The perm didn't help.
PostPosted:Fri Mar 09, 2007 16:34 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
holliesfan Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

[quote="Dennis"][quote="holliesfan"]
Dennis wrote:
Buy the DVD immediately. Any recently purchased DVD player should play it. I just bought a VHS to DVD dubbing machine, the brand name is LG. Invest in a new unit if you haven't bought one in a few years. The DVD plays perfectly, no problem.

Thank you Dennis...think I'll order it today.
PostPosted:Fri Mar 09, 2007 16:55 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
MichealC Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

About the Magic Woman Touch video, I'm sure I have a longer version than the one on the DVD. I recall it shows them having a cup of coffee.

Does anoyne else know this?
PostPosted:Sun Mar 11, 2007 11:43 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
SpartyScott Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

OK, we have about 125 posts in this thread, give or take. Give me the all-important info - can someone kindly give me a reliable place that's not charging rip-off prices who is selling this DVD, on a page that's in English (so that I can read it), and will ship to the U.S., where I can order a couple of copies of this package?
PostPosted:Sun Mar 11, 2007 19:51 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
snowflake Post subject:
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

Hi, Sparty. I just ordered mine a couple of days ago from one of the vendors that sell through Amazon. Go to Amazon.com and search for the Hollies Dutch collection, then look under their "new and used" section. I ordered it from ImportCDs.com -- the price is better than the Amazon price, and it's supposed to be brand-new and factory sealed.

PostPosted:Sun Mar 11, 2007 21:32 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
SpartyScott Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

snowflake wrote:
Hi, Sparty. I just ordered mine a couple of days ago from one of the vendors that sell through Amazon. Go to Amazon.com and search for the Hollies Dutch collection, then look under their "new and used" section. I ordered it from ImportCDs.com -- the price is better than the Amazon price, and it's supposed to be brand-new and factory sealed.

Thanks Snowflake - I just ordered two copies, and both are coming from your sellter ImportCD's.

Now we'll just have to wait and see how long it takes to arrive (he says with fingers crossed)
PostPosted:Mon Mar 12, 2007 13:49 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
snowflake Post subject:
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

ImportCDs sent me an email stating that my order was shipped on 3/10 -- so hopefully it will be here soon Smile

PostPosted:Mon Mar 12, 2007 15:49 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
snowflake Post subject:
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

Sparty, I received my Dutch collection yesterday so if you haven't gotten yours yet, it should arrive soon.

A note to U.S. fans who are considering this purchase: I wasn't able to play this DVD in my new player that I just got a couple of months ago. Fortunately I have a CyberHome DVD player that was formatted to play PAL discs, and it plays fine in it.

PostPosted:Fri Mar 16, 2007 14:35 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
holliesfan Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

snowflake wrote:
Sparty, I received my Dutch collection yesterday so if you haven't gotten yours yet, it should arrive soon. A note to U.S. fans who are considering this purchase: I wasn't able to play this DVD in my new player that I just got a couple of months ago. Fortunately I have a CyberHome DVD player that was formatted to play PAL discs, and it plays fine in it.

Snowflake...I'm awaiting shipment of my previously ordered DVD and expect I may experience the same problem. Can you please tell me where you purchased your CyberHome DVD player and how much it cost? I suspect I may need to purchase one as well...did your CyberHome player come formatted? Thanks!
PostPosted:Fri Mar 16, 2007 15:58 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
snowflake Post subject:
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

Hi, holliesfan. I bought my DVD player online from German Language Video Center – germanvideo.com. If you scroll down to the bottom of the home page, there is a link that says “DVD player to play German DVDs” that will take you to that page of the website. Yes, it was already formatted to play the Region 2 PAL discs. You might be able to find one for a better price; I think one of the people on this forum posted about a cheap Cyberhome player that can be formatted to play PAL. Hopefully they will chime in on where to get one cheaper. I think I might have paid too much for mine. Shocked Embarassed Oh well, I’m really glad I have it now!

PostPosted:Fri Mar 16, 2007 18:54 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
James Towill Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

A friend has given me a sequence of buttons to press on my DVD player which will enable it to play all regions, such as DVD's from the US. I haven't tried it yet, but I'm told it works fine and that there are website fora out there which can supply the necessary know-how!

PostPosted:Fri Mar 16, 2007 19:17 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
holliesfan Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Thank you Snowflake and James! I'll check the website and also see what other info is on the net relative to "pushing the right buttons"... Very Happy
PostPosted:Fri Mar 16, 2007 19:43 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
James Towill Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

holliesfan wrote:
Thank you Snowflake and James! I'll check the website and also see what other info is on the net relative to "pushing the right buttons"... Very Happy

Don't say I'm not good to you:

http://www.dvdexploder.com/
http://forum.ecoustics.com/bbs/messages/2/9675.html
http://www.dvdunlockcode.com/

Razz Wink

PostPosted:Fri Mar 16, 2007 19:49 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Write On
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Page 9 of 10