graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Write On » New Hollies DVD
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
James Towill Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Yep, got mine through today, Rob. What an absolutely brilliant colection. I've seen a fair few items of Hollies footage, but I've not seen at least 10 of these. The fashions and facial hair are hilarious but the music, coupled with visuals is a real treat. Gold star, a tick and a pat on the shoulder to all involved in this production.

Can we have another one?! Laughing

hollies wrote:
James, I got my original order from Key Mail Order in the post this morning so you should have yours shortly I would think.

PostPosted:Mon Feb 19, 2007 16:48 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
MichealC Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Yep, excellent DVD. Gold star here too. The highlight for me is the live (vocals) Son Of A Rotten Gambler. I dig Allan's preformance and outfit.

Downsides!:

The CD audio mixed over some of the performances comes off a bit weird and ultra- fake here and there. The interview with Tony and Terry isn't long enough! And Allan really looks terrible in some of the clips, he looks truly wrecked in some of them.

Anyways, an excellent DVD and package which no fan should be without.

Michael
PostPosted:Mon Feb 19, 2007 16:54 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

I'd have to agree with your highlight too, Michael. I also really like the storming live version of Daddy Don't Mind.

Poor Allan. That perm really was a disaster. On Boulder To Birmingham he looks to have aged a couple of decades compared with on the late '60's footage.

And...what on earth is happening at the start of Blowin' In The Wind Shocked Question I hope that this DVD will not be confined to the top shelves as a result! Wink

I'd like to add something else into the pot. The TS/TH interview is from Aus as we all know, and there is mention in early adverts for this DVD of live concert footage from New Zealand. Just makes me wonder if there actually *is* live footage, but clearance couldn't be obtained or it was passed over in favour of other material.

MichealC wrote:
Yep, excellent DVD. Gold star here too. The highlight for me is the live (vocals) Son Of A Rotten Gambler. I dig Allan's preformance and outfit.

Downsides!:

The CD audio mixed over some of the performances comes off a bit weird and ultra- fake here and there. The interview with Tony and Terry isn't long enough! And Allan really looks terrible in some of the clips, he looks truly wrecked in some of them.

Anyways, an excellent DVD and package which no fan should be without.

Michael

PostPosted:Mon Feb 19, 2007 18:43 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Anthony Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Hi Holliesfan,
In Australia you can get Multi Zone players that play DVD's from any country, maybe you need to see if they have the same type of player in the States.

PostPosted:Mon Feb 19, 2007 20:05 pm
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Ro-Robert Post subject:
Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar

Anthony wrote:
Hi Holliesfan,
In Australia you can get Multi Zone players that play DVD's from any country, maybe you need to see if they have the same type of player in the States.

Multi Zone players are hard to get in the USA.
I don't think region codes are the problem in this case. There is no mention of region code on the package of the new Hollies DVD. The disc probably has all regions on it.

The problem could be the PAL TV-system (50Hz). The package mentions PAL and not NTSC. Europe and Australia have a PAL television system and the USA and Japan NTSC (60Hz).

The multizone players in Australia and Europe transfer NTSC into a PAL signal. Note that this is 60Hz PAL (pseudo PAL) and not real 50Hz PAL, so only TV's which can switch between 50 and 60Hz will show colour.

These multizone players are useless in the USA as Americans need to transfer PAL into NTSC instead of the other way around in Europe and Australia.

So if Americans are lucky that the DVD will play, it will probably be in black and white only and no good quality.

Ro-Robert
PostPosted:Mon Feb 19, 2007 21:40 pm
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

holliesfan wrote:
This message goes out to anyone whose ever had a DVD converted from PAL to NTSC format. I would love to purchase the new Dutch Collection DVD but am uncertain as to how the conversion will effect the overall quality. Any comments would be welcomed. I especially would like to hear from those of you living in the US..Thanks!

There is nothing to be concerned about. I bought an ultra-cheap Cyberhome DVD player, and all you have to do is program it to play PAL discs. Simple as pie.
PostPosted:Mon Feb 19, 2007 21:43 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Well, I'm jealous. I want to see this DVD so bad, and being in the US, I don't know when mine will arrive. I ordered it from a US outlet, CD Universe. I'll just have to wait it out. Confused
PostPosted:Mon Feb 19, 2007 21:48 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Anthony Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Hi Dennis,
The wait is the worst thing, the reports are so good, I want it yesterday.

PostPosted:Mon Feb 19, 2007 21:52 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Anthony Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Hi Dennis and all the gang,
This DVD is Brilliant, mine arrived today and I'm playing it for the second time. Many of the clips are new to me, the quality and sound is great. It's what all Hollies fans have been after for many years.
A few stand outs:
On a Carousel, I had only part of the clip from the Abbey Road special
Son of a Rotten Gambler, fantastic
Sandy, Allan looks like he needs a good feed
Daddy Don't Mind, shows how the Hollies can rock
Listen to me, the group are all seated playing the song
Love the Interviews, the one with Terry and Tony is fantasic, great to see a bit from Australia
Star is fun, funny seeing Tony on stage in sunglasses.
I can't let go, The lads playing on the docks

Who ever put these clips together should be in the Rock'n'Roll hall of fame.
FANTASTIC

PostPosted:Thu Feb 22, 2007 1:38 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Anthony wrote:
Who ever put these clips together should be in the Rock'n'Roll hall of fame.
FANTASTIC

I was thinking [dangerous activity, try not to do it too frequently.. Laughing ] what if we put together some kind of list of names ahowing appreciation for this DVD and perhaps suggest that the vaults are scoured to put out more archive material? I'm thinking about the recent Manfred Mann's Earth Band Best of '73 to '05 in which material was sourced from TV stations around the world, and apparently an item or two was found in a skip in Australia! Shocked Laughing Obviously the compilers of the Dutch Collection have been relatively thorough looking at the source of the material in the booklet. I'm sure there's probably more out there, such as a better quality copy of the 1975 German concert that is doing the rounds.

PostPosted:Thu Feb 22, 2007 6:44 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Yes, and there's that 1970 Australian TV special, with their contemporary covers of "Let It Be" (dare I say The Hollies do it better than The Beatles? Well, I just did) and "Woodstock" (better than CSNY). Can't somebody find this film and put it out?
PostPosted:Thu Feb 22, 2007 17:21 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
benny-b-goode Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

The new DVD is great, although I would have preferred original live sound instead of the dubbed studio masters over the film. Most of all I wondered why they chose that clip of "Blowin' In The Wind" while there is a colour clip with The Hollies performing the song live from 1968 around (still with Graham Nash). I have got it on a DVD I bought on Ebay called "The Hollies: The Nash Years". Some of the clips of "The Dutch Collection" are live on my other DVD. So one DVD has the better material but "The Dutch Collection" has the much better sound and image quality. So it's a nice contribution to my DVD collection. And with "The Baby" it was very exciting for me to see Mikael Rickfors perform with The Hollies. I have never seen material of that quality before (especially not of the Rickfors period).
All in all I am thankful for this DVD. We really need more of that !!!!
PostPosted:Mon Feb 26, 2007 17:17 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

benny-b-goode wrote:
The new DVD is great, although I would have preferred original live sound instead of the dubbed studio masters over the film. Most of all I wondered why they chose that clip of "Blowin' In The Wind" while there is a colour clip with The Hollies performing the song live from 1968 around (still with Graham Nash). I have got it on a DVD I bought on Ebay called "The Hollies: The Nash Years". Some of the clips of "The Dutch Collection" are live on my other DVD. So one DVD has the better material but "The Dutch Collection" has the much better sound and image quality. So it's a nice contribution to my DVD collection. And with "The Baby" it was very exciting for me to see Mikael Rickfors perform with The Hollies. I have never seen material of that quality before (especially not of the Rickfors period).
All in all I am thankful for this DVD. We really need more of that !!!!

Agreed. The highlights for me among the clips I hadn't seen before:

Promo film for "I Can't Let Go". Some fine camera work here, from different angles. Opens with a medium close shot of Hollies Newboy Bernie Calvert. I can see how some females thought of him as the cutest. Excellent song and video.
Promo film for "Dear Eloise". Opens with Graham Nash writing a letter. Brings to mind the video shown on the US variety show The Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour, only this one is in black and white. Another topnotch song and video.
Promo film for "Listen To Me". Interesting concept, with all of the lads seated. Graham's last hurrah.
TV performance of "Gasoline Alley Bred". Have seen this before, but incomplete. The drawback, however, is that it is overdubbed with the studio track, unlike the version curculating among collectors, which has live vocals.
TV performance of "The Air That I Breathe", Another one with live vocals. Great.
TV performance of "Son of a Rotten Gambler". The Hollies got a rotten break when this one didn't get released in the US. I think this would have been a hit here. Stunning live performance. Super!
TV performance of "Sandy". I can appreciate this track more now. Live again.
"Star" and "Boulder to Birmingham" are good lipsyncs. I think they should have been given a chance as singles in the US too.
PostPosted:Fri Mar 09, 2007 1:26 am

Last edited by Dennis on Sat Mar 10, 2007 18:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
John Truman Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

I only received mine this week because of a mix-up with the retailer's order system but I've got it now and played the DVD 3 times already.

It's fantastic - well worth waiting for. The quality is superb.

It's hard to pick a favourite clip. There are loads of them, some I had not seen before.

On 'Heartbeat', does anyone know who is playing the saxaphone? His face does look familiar.

PostPosted:Fri Mar 09, 2007 9:43 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
hollies Post subject:

Site Admin

John

You probably recognise the face because it is Simon Hart, the current festival sound engineer.

You will have seen him at many of the outdoor and festival gigs around Europe.

He was The Hollies' sound engineer in those days and when filming this clip they wanted someone to 'play' sax. Simon was that man.

Notice Tony's face when he turns to look at him. He can't stop laughing.

Ask him about it next time you see him.

Hollies Forum
PostPosted:Fri Mar 09, 2007 11:05 am
graphic
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Write On
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Page 8 of 10