graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Write On » Tony and George
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Vrinda Post subject: Tony and George
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

I read on a video of the Beatles performing "If I Needed Someone" on YouTube that George Harrison and Tony Hicks were very close. Is that true?
PostPosted:Wed May 30, 2007 23:05 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
John Truman Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

I'm not sure, Vrinda. What I do remember is George Harrison at the time 'rubbishing' the Hollies version of "If I Needed Someone".

PostPosted:Thu May 31, 2007 13:34 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
brandy Post subject:
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

Vrinda, my understanding is the same as John's. George did not like The Hollies version at all! But I've never heard anything about any personal relationship between the two. I assume there was always a "friendly rivalry" between the two groups, since they were the two bands that most dominated the UK singles charts in the 60s.

I guess one could argue that George and Tony were close - at least geographically - anytime they were simultaneously booked for sessions at Abbey Road Studios 2 and 3, respectively... Laughing

I have heard that Bobby was pretty close to fellow British drummer Cozy Powell (Jeff Beck; Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow; Emerson, Lake and Powell; et al), and was visibly shaken upon hearing of Cozy's death in 1998. Sad

PostPosted:Thu May 31, 2007 13:49 pm
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
holliesfan Post subject: Re: Tony and Geroge
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Vrinda wrote:
I read on a video of the Beatles performing "If I Needed Someone" on YouTube that George Harrison and Tony Hicks were very close. Is that true?

Vrinda,

This is precisely why I suggested months ago that questions(historic) of this nature be presented to Tony and Bobby for their responses. Since neither of them participate in this member board, we only have Rob(he's closest to the band) to approach Tony and Bobby for the answers(and then posting them for all to read).
PostPosted:Thu May 31, 2007 14:07 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Vrinda Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Well, I hope this can be cleared up. I do remember seeing an interview with Terry where he recalled, after being hired as Graham's replacement, walking down the hallway at Abbey Road Studios and passing by George, who then hugged him (really hard!) and congratulated him on his new position. Shows George was a friendly guy!

I do hope, someday, that Tony and Bobby can participate in this board, if time permits.

As for the Hollies' version of "If I Needed Someone," I don't think it's that bad, or better than the Beatles' version. Both are the same, to me.
PostPosted:Thu May 31, 2007 15:37 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Gee Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

The info I heard since on "If I Needed Someone" was that it was a "Beatles publicist" who supposedly MISTAKENLY announced that George "could not stand" The Hollies version, and had "said" they "sounded like souless sessionmen"....NOT actually George himself....BUT George had said it probably caught at a bad moment....and it cost him royalties !
PostPosted:Fri Jun 01, 2007 22:50 pm

Last edited by Gee on Wed May 26, 2010 17:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Lou Post subject:
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

I think(which means I am not positive Very Happy ) Tony was in
the studio with the Beatles when they played back the
Abbey Road album for the first time and listened to it,
at which time, Tony told Paul that the beatles had
"another Sgt Pepper on their hands",or words to
that effect.

If that's true , then they probably got on okay
and certainly respected each other as peers.

PostPosted:Sun Jun 03, 2007 0:33 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Gee Post subject: Brotherhood....of Manfred's Mann
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

One big link between The Hollies and The Beatles during this 1969 "Abbey Road" period was Ex-Manfred Mike Vickers, Mike was Arranger for the Hollies working on tracks on "For Certain..." (1966), and "Evolution" (1967)....plus later on both "A Taste Of Honey" (version two - 1968) and "Blowin' in the Wind" ("Nash version" - 1968)....and Mike Vickers programmed the Synthesisor The Beatles used on "Abbey Road"....most notable on "Maxwell's Silver Hammer","Here comes the Sun", and "I Want You (She's So Heavy)"....thus Mike was a prominent friend of Both bands....and it IS highly likely Tony Hicks was an early witness to The Beatles' last proper album as you state.
PostPosted:Sat Jun 09, 2007 20:40 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Delia Morris Post subject:

I read somewhere, that John Lennon used to called Tony -- Tony Kicks -- which always makes me grin. Laughing
PostPosted:Sat Dec 29, 2007 6:20 am
graphic
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Write On
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic

Page 1 of 1