graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Boys In The Band » Mikael Rickfors' best solo track?
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject: Mikael Rickfors' best solo track?
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

From Mikael Rickors' second solo LP, "The Wheel", my favorite track has long been "Take A Message To My Baby", which has the bounce of a Hollies hit. I always wondered why it wasn't released as a single. Alas, I found it as such, on Ebay. "Take A Message To My Baby", with the title track as the B-side, was released on Swedish CBS as a 12" single, complete with an all-too-rare smiling Rickfors pictured on the cover. This is my find of the month! Does anyone know if it was released as a 7" single too? (I hope Mikael's new website will contain a thorough discography, including single releases.)
PostPosted:Tue May 29, 2007 21:45 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Bonus Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

As far as I know "Take A Message To My Baby", was only released as a 12" single (CBS 4943) , and as a album-track, of course.

It´s hard to choose his best solo track, as always. It differs from month to month. But I always come back to his album Judas River, which is a wonderful album. It´s Mikael at his peak!

And now we´re waiting for his new album!!!
PostPosted:Wed May 30, 2007 9:33 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
snowflake Post subject:
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

I have to agree, Bonus; Judas River is my favorite Rickfors album as well. It's hard to choose my fave track from it; but Still the Fool, Woman & a Child, Solid Gold and Sailors of the Heart are all excellent.

Great Ebay find, Dennis Cool

PostPosted:Wed May 30, 2007 19:40 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
James Towill Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

snowflake wrote:
I have to agree, Bonus; Judas River is my favorite Rickfors album as well. It's hard to choose my fave track from it; but Still the Fool, Woman & a Child, Solid Gold and Sailors of the Heart are all excellent.

Great Ebay find, Dennis Cool

Yup, great album. Smile

PostPosted:Wed May 30, 2007 20:02 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Knut Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Bonus,
Could you shed light on the female Swedish singer who is supposed to appear with Mikael at the Taube festival on Orust. I checked her website, listened to one nice song. I must admit I got a bit scared by her big tattoos on both arms, though.

Would you believe the Hollies had power to stay by evolution of their style from Buddy Holly ? That's for certain because they follow what goes around, write on and go out on the road. They did it then, they do it now - please do it always.
PostPosted:Wed May 30, 2007 20:07 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
DistantLight Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

My favorite Mikael Rickfors song may be "Tender Turns Tuff". I also especially like "Born In The Sunrise" - great melancholy song!
PostPosted:Thu May 31, 2007 16:07 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Bonus Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Knut wrote:
Bonus,
Could you shed light on the female Swedish singer who is supposed to appear with Mikael at the Taube festival on Orust. I checked her website, listened to one nice song. I must admit I got a bit scared by her big tattoos on both arms, though.

Hi Knut,
the tatoo-girl is a former hardrocker that has matured a bit. Her name is Sara Löfgren. She has a god and strong voice, and that´s it. I don´t think that Mikael and Sara will perform together, I suppose it´s two different acts.

If you want to know more about visit Sara at http://www.saralofgren.nu/ where you also can hear her latest single.

Greetings
Bonus
PostPosted:Fri Jun 01, 2007 13:07 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
benny-b-goode Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

After I have read a lot about Mikael Rickfors during the last days in this forum I have thought about buying one of his records. He is not known here in Germany at all and there are no CDs on Amazon. I have found "Judas River" on CD on Ebay now.

But before I will pay 12 € for this CD I would like to know whether his music as a solo artist is as good as his music he did with The Hollies on "Romany" and "Out On The Road". On another website he was described as a Swedish hard-rock singer. If that is true I would not like his solo music because I'm not a hard rock fan. Are there any harmonies on his records as on his work with The Hollies ? Is the music similar to the songs he did with The Hollies ?

It would be nice if someone could answer me until Friday because then the CD will be sold or not on Ebay. Perhaps someone could describe his music to me because there are no sound samples to be found (also because there ain't any CDs of his to buy on Amazon where you can listen to sound samples for usual).

Thank you in advance.
PostPosted:Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:09 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
DistantLight Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Hi benny,

he's no hard rock singer that's for sure. On all the albums that I have he sings some rockier songs as well as quiet stuff but I wouldn't call any of these albums "hard rock". I think Judas River is a nice album but it's got no real connection to the Hollies music on "Romany" and "Out On The Road" - his voice is also a bit rougher. He recorded that album in the early 90s and you can hear that - it's got some really strong songs on it but you may be disappointed if you expect something in the Hollies style. For a closer connection you should better buy one of his 70s albums.
PostPosted:Tue Jun 05, 2007 11:11 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
snowflake Post subject:
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

Hi, Benny. It's really hard to put a label on Rickfors' solo music. He does a wide variety of styles: rock, blues and ballads to name a few. DistantLight is right, "Judas River" is a different sound than his days with the Hollies, but it's a great album, and I for one highly recommend it.

PostPosted:Tue Jun 05, 2007 19:33 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
benny-b-goode Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Hi DistantLight and snowflake,
thanks for the information. So what would be the best album to choose when you like The Hollies albums with Rickfors then ? Or aren't there any similarities at all to hear even on his first recordings after he left The Hollies ?
PostPosted:Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:47 am
graphic
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Boys In The Band
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic

Page 1 of 1