The Hollies Forum Index » Words and Music » Hollies Rarities
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
benny-b-goode Post subject: Hollies Rarities
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Dear Hollies fans,

I've got an urgent question. Some time ago the topic was "Dear Oak Tree", another one was the live version of "Amazing Grace" and someone wrote about a bootleg album called "In A Spin". Where can those songs and that album, as well as other Bootleg albums, be bought ?

Then there are five songs from the official Hollies songs catalogue that are still missing in my Hollies collection and I would like to know whether someone owns them and could describe them. The problem is that those songs are spread on different CDs or are Bonus tracks on Magic Record releases of albums I already own as EMI versions. Just for one song I wouldn't want to buy them again.

The songs are:
1. I Can't Get Nowhere With You
2. Little Bitty Pretty One
3. What Kind Of Love
4. When I'm Not There
5. Long Cool Woman In A Black Dress (12'' Mix)

Thanks in advance.
PostPosted:Sun May 27, 2007 9:43 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Ram4 Post subject:

A rather late reply, but since no one else has, why not me?

I Can't Get Nowhere With You - from late 1965. A nice song, a little laid back, sounds like it was remixed to make it sound better. I got mine as a bonus track on the wonderful Magic Records release of Would You Believe. The release has 9 bonus tracks. She Gives Me Everything I Want (1965 outtake), You In My Arms (1965 outtake and later re-made into another outtake from 1968 called Like Everytime Before), If I Needed Someone (remix), Running Through The Night (remix?), I Can't Get Nowehere With You (1965 outtake), Look Through Any Window (remix), Look Through Any Window (sung in French), A Taste Of Honey (1966 version), A Taste Of Honey (1968 re-make).

Little Bitty Pretty One - A lame cover. I got mine on the Magic Records release of Hollies (1965) album. The album itself is a stereo mix, and while I prefer the mono mixes, some of these stereo mixes are superior to their mono versions. The atmosphere on some of these songs just jumps out of the speakers. You can also hear differences in some songs. On That's My Desire, you can clearly hear Graham and Tony's backing vocals during the middle eight when Allan sings solo. On the mono version you can't. Some guitar licks are much more audible on the stereo version of When I Come Home To You. But this disc is also filled up with 11 bonus tracks! Surprised One of which is a ho-hum cover of Little Bitty Pretty One. The other tracks are: She Said Yeah, Nobody (remixed), So Lonely (early demo version), Bring Back Your Love To Me (1965 original outtake), Listen Here To Me (1965 original outtake), Honey And Wine (from 1965 E.P.), You Know He Did (remixed), I'm Alive (remixed), Yes I Will (remixed), Yes I Will (alternate version). I've noticed that a decent number of Hollies songs from the 60's were remixed on many of these import releases as bonus tracks and they sound amazing. The vocals are dead center, the music is in stereo, and it works. If I Needed Someone is better than ever.

What Kind Of Love - Great cover song!!! Smile A total wasted track - how it wasn't on their early albums blows my mind. It comes crashing in at full volume and is over way too soon.

When I'm Not There - This one is ok. Tony wrote it. It shows a young Hollies trying to work their craft. I got this and What Kind of Love as bonus tracks on the Japanese CD version of In The Hollies Style, which "only" has 13 bonus tracks, the original album in mono, and it comes in an absolute perfect replica mini version of the LP jacket. Wink

I don't have your final track you're looking for! Sorry! Embarassed
PostPosted:Fri Sep 07, 2007 6:02 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Knut Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

LCWIABD 12 inch mix is a touch one since it's only on the German fan club CD which had a limited release.
The other tracks are mostly on the US 3-CD 30 years celebration box.
Or the MFP UK CD, which should be cheap.
Good hunting.

Would you believe the Hollies had power to stay by evolution of their style from Buddy Holly ? That's for certain because they follow what goes around, write on and go out on the road. They did it then, they do it now - please do it always.
PostPosted:Fri Sep 07, 2007 12:30 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
SpartyScott Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Knut wrote:
LCWIABD 12 inch mix is a touch one since it's only on the German fan club CD which had a limited release.
The other tracks are mostly on the US 3-CD 30 years celebration box.
Or the MFP UK CD, which should be cheap.
Good hunting.

http://cgi.ebay.com/30th-Anniversary-Collection-Box-The-Hollies-The_W0QQitemZ300147336594QQihZ020QQcategoryZ307QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

If you're fast, you can buy this used 30th Anniversary copy pretty cheap. And the auction lists all the song titles included in the collection.

(auction ends tomorrow)
PostPosted:Fri Sep 07, 2007 13:49 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Gee Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

A Few points re above:

That's My Desire:

Actually You CAN hear the Hicks/Nash backing vocals ("Ba-Ba-Ba-Ba"....etc !) during the bridge section on The Mono version of
"That's My Desire"....but only if you listen VERY closely !

"What Kind Of Love":

"What Kind Of Love" is not a "Cover" , this song was written by Clarke-Hicks-Nash .....the reason it never appeared on any Hollies album was because it was specifically recorded, along with Tony Hicks' own song "When I'm Not There", on 2 March 1964 at Abbey Road Studios for their First UK EP Release Titled : "The Hollies" (Parlophone GEP 8909) which was issued in June 1964.
PostPosted:Fri Sep 07, 2007 15:04 pm

Last edited by Gee on Wed May 26, 2010 17:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
benny-b-goode Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Thanks for this really useful information Very Happy
PostPosted:Sat Sep 08, 2007 10:30 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
dcpurcell Post subject:
Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar

I'm new to this and some of the old topics I'm unfamiliar with. So I'm wondering about Old Oak Tree. Was that a song or an album? Who did it and when? Is it available anywhere? I seem to a remember a listing for In a Spin but it was from a bootleg place and I passed on it-mainly because I had most of the songs and I've never liked the quality of bootlegs not because I'm above buying them. I still have several Badfinger bootlegs from all the years their albums were tied up in lawsuits.
PostPosted:Wed May 21, 2008 22:00 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
MichealC Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Dear Oak Tree was improvised (?) on the spot by Allan Clarke for their Australian TV special. Is this accurate? The audio of it is on the In A Spin bootleg, which you should probably keep an eye out for on ebay.
PostPosted:Thu May 22, 2008 8:34 am
graphic
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Words and Music
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic

Page 1 of 1