graphic
Goto page Previous  1, 2
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Out On The Road » Rickfors on tour in Sweden summer 2007
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
James Towill Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

....runs for cover..... Laughing

PostPosted:Thu Aug 23, 2007 19:02 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

tas wrote:
Dennis I have to wonder whether we saw the same band, i caught the Rickfors version of the band in Chicago in 1972 and they were. at best, disjointed, the Swede cowered from the spotlight, there was no focal point to the band and quite frankly, the Rasberries, the opening act, was much more entertaining, two years earlier, in 1970 i saw the Clarke-Hicks- Sylvester version in their matching suits in Chicago and they were oustanding, as they were at Chicago fest in 1983 and at all the venues I..'ve seen them in England since then. While i give Hicks and Sylvester much credit for matching their harmonies to Rickfors voice i don't think that that incarnation of the band holds a candle to the others.

Sounds like you should be posting on The Raspberries website instead of here. I must disagree completely. The band were superb. I was really impressed by their musicianship, song selection, and the fact that they were on tour promoting an album with their previous lead singer, yet forging ahead with a new vocalist. How brave! Bravo! I loved the fact that all 3 frontmen traded lead vocal duties (a rare treat for Hollies fans), all members except Bobby switched instruments from song to song. This was not a typical run-through of duplications of the studio recordings, thank goodness! I love it when a band surprises me, and boy did The Hollies do that! The comments you made are the regular complaints heard by some people who could not accept the absense of Clarke. I've heard it all before, The Raspberries were better, blah blah blah. Raspberries vs. Hollies? Come on, there is no contest; The Hollies are clearly the superior band. Billy Preston opened for them when I saw them; his audience consisted entirely of blacks. He got a better reception than The Hollies only because his audience came and went with him and acted like they were at a church revival meeting or something. As for the mild reception The Hollies got, I never judge a concert by audience response. I'm there for my own appreciation. I don't think a single black person stayed for The Hollies. I found Preston and his audience of blacks obnoxious. I saw The Hollies with Clarke in '75 and '83 and while entertaining, The Hollies were challenging the audience with Rickfors. They were obviously not exactly the band they were before, but BETTER. After experiencing concerts featuring the Halloween rock of David Bowie and Alice Cooper, The Hollies knocked me out with music. EVERY song they played was an improvement over the studio version; the videos that exist of the Rickfors lineup bear this out. The live version of "Long Dark Road" brought this response from a Hollies pal of mine: "THAT'S Rock and Roll". I can't express it any better. I would venture to guess that there isn't a Hollies fan in the world who wouldn't want to get into a time machine and go back to 1972. I know one thing, I'd be first on board.
PostPosted:Fri Aug 24, 2007 0:26 am

Last edited by Dennis on Fri Aug 24, 2007 0:46 am; edited 2 times in total
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
SpartyScott Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

As much as I enjoy about five or six Raspberries songs, they should not even be mentioned in the same sentence as The Hollies.

Of course, I would have loved to have seen Billy Preston in concert - that guy could jam!

My exposure to the Rickfors lineup in concert is limited to a couple of tracks from that California concert that we've seen on the bootleg DVD's and two live-in-the-studio performances I have of the group on the U.S. television show Midnight Special - Long Cool Woman with Terry on lead and He Ain't Heavy with Mike singing and playing harmonica. They're darn good.

I don't want to compare Rickfors to Clarke, because Allan obviously has more history, more hits, more memorable songs. But I'll guess that any "classic rock" fan who may be unfamiliar with the Romany and Out On The Road albums would be quite pleased with either LP - and probably shocked to learn that the recording artist was the Hollies!
PostPosted:Fri Aug 24, 2007 0:38 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

SpartyScott wrote:
As much as I enjoy about five or six Raspberries songs, they should not even be mentioned in the same sentence as The Hollies.

Of course, I would have loved to have seen Billy Preston in concert - that guy could jam!

My exposure to the Rickfors lineup in concert is limited to a couple of tracks from that California concert that we've seen on the bootleg DVD's and two live-in-the-studio performances I have of the group on the U.S. television show Midnight Special - Long Cool Woman with Terry on lead and He Ain't Heavy with Mike singing and playing harmonica. They're darn good.

I don't want to compare Rickfors to Clarke, because Allan obviously has more history, more hits, more memorable songs. But I'll guess that any "classic rock" fan who may be unfamiliar with the Romany and Out On The Road albums would be quite pleased with either LP - and probably shocked to learn that the recording artist was the Hollies!

Right on, Scotty!
PostPosted:Fri Aug 24, 2007 0:42 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
James Towill Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

The version of Long Dark Road with Tony on bass and Rickfors joining on lead vocals and a blistering guitar solo at the end is testiment to how good this lineup was. I'm actually thinking that the re-release of Romany could well be as a result of renewed interest in this interesting chapter in the band's history.

PostPosted:Fri Aug 24, 2007 5:28 am
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
MichealC Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Hi Tas,

What sort of show did The Hollies give in Chicago in 1970?

I'm very interested to find out about the pre- Rickfors part of the '70s. This must have been by far the most extensive "tour" the Hollies ever did, as over the course of '70/1 they were all over Europe, Australia and Asia.
PostPosted:Sun Aug 26, 2007 14:01 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Out On The Road
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic

Goto page Previous  1, 2