The Hollies Forum Index » Searchin' » Best selling Album
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
holliesfan Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Geoff coles wrote:
EMI did NOT automatically delete all The Hollies EMI albums when the band relocated to Polydor in 1972.....

The albums :"Hollies Greatest" (1968) and "Vol 2" (1972), "Hollies Sing Dylan" (1969), "Hollies Sing Hollies" (1969), "Confessions Of The Mind" (1970), "Distant Light" (1971).....were ALL still on catalogue on the Main Parlophone Label in 1975
(I know because I ordered...and obtained them all for a friend in that year)....

Also "Hollies" (1965) was re-issued as "Reflection" on the EMI budget Regal Starline label in November 1969....and "For Certain Because..." (1966) was re-issued on Starline in December 1971 as "Stop Stop Stop", while both "Would You Believe" (retitled "I Can't Let Go" in October 1974 ) and "Evolution" (retitled "The Hollies" earlier in February 1972 ) were re-issued on the cheap "Music For Pleasure" label and remained on catalogue for quite a while thereafter....

Most of these re-issues could still be easily found in local shops even as late as 1977......

EMI had duly compiled the 2 Album set "History of The Hollies" in November 1975.

Then in 1978 a fresh batch of EMI re-issues took place with the Massive selling UK compilation "20 Golden Greats" issued in July 1978....and then
"Best of The Hollies E.P.'s" plus "Other Side of The Hollies" (compilation of UK 'B' sides), plus re-issues of "Evolution", "Butterfly", and "Confessions..." all duly issued in August 1978,
In September 1979 EMI compiled the Low Budget "Long Cool Woman..." album, and re-issued "Best of E.P.'s" set in March 1981.
A further EMI Budget Compilation titkled: "The Hollies" was then issued in September 1985, with See For Miles Records issuing a compilation of EMI tracks "Not The Hits Again" in February 1986...
They then added two tracks to the "E.P. Collection" for another re-issue in April 1987

After this "Beat Goes On" Records launched a major UK re-issue programme in October 1987...."Stay with...", "Hollies Style"...and "For Certain..." all re-issued (there was also a very rare MFP issue of "Sing Dylan" - MFP 5811), before the big "All the Hits and More" and "Rarities" sets in Sept / Nov 1988 respectively...

Regular re-issues of both EMI and Polydor era material have continued thereafter....but it is not true to say EMI deleted their recordings after The Hollies joined Polydor...indeed, as shown above, EMI in the UK have served the band very well in terms of their music being readily available on catalogue.

That said...we COULD do with a decent "Hollies Rarities Volume Two" collection...and a "Hollies at The BBC" set...!

What songs do you think would appear on a "Hollies Rarities Volume Two" set if one were issued? If this has been addressed in this post before please forgive me for bringing up old business... Very Happy
PostPosted:Sun Jun 24, 2007 17:25 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Gee Post subject: Rarities vol 2.....???
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

There are a number of unissued (or unissued in the UK ) tracks such as:

"Fortune Teller" (Don Rathbone Version - 1963), I Understand (1963)"Cry Me A River"(1963), "Party Line" "It's Raining Teardrops","Cry Now" (1964), I Can't Get Nowhere With You", "Stay Away", "Now That You're Gone"(1965), "Ashes To Ashes" ,"You Were A Pretty Little Girl"(1967), "Survival of The Fittest" (Nash Version - 1968),"Angel of The Morning" "The Race is On", "Dang Me" (Two Versions Exist), "Kentucky Woman"(1969), "(No More) Snow On Heather Moor", "Bobby's Prologue","Wings" (Sylvester version - 1970) ,"Salvation Band" , "Father Machine" (1971),"Papa Rain","Witchy Woman" ,"On The Summer Side Of Life" (1972), "Burn Fire Burn", "Untitled Track" (1974),"Born to Run" (1975),
"Maureen" (1976), "Is it True" (1977 or 1979 version),"I'd Like To Be That Man" (1977), "Get Up" "Stormy Waters"(No Harmonies version - 1978),"Harlequin" (Gary Brooker Lead Vocal Version - 1978),"I Don't Understand You" (1981 Three versions exist),"Don't Close Your Eyes" (with Graham Nash - 1984),"Hard To Forget" (1986)

Plus Rare songs/ Rare versions :

"Poison Ivy" (version two with two guitar solos - 1963),""Just One Look" ("Extra Percussion" version - 1964),A Taste of Honey" (version one - 1966 - unissued in UK ),"Stop Stop Stop"(Extended Banjo solo version - 1966),"Try It" (Rare Mexican EP Alternate Version - 1967), "Kill Me Quick" (Italian Mono Single Version Minus Backing Vocals - 1967), "I can't Tell The Bottom from The Top" (Australian "Alternate strings" Version - 1970), "Magic Woman Touch" (Rare Acoustic Version - 1972), "Oh Granny" (Terry Sylvester Lead Vocal Version - UK 'B' side only -1972),"Curly Billy" (Extended USA Version- 1973), "Hello Lady Goodbye" (UK 'B' Side - 1974),"Draggin' My Heels" (Full Length 12 Inch Single Version - 1976) ,"C'mon" (UK 'B' Side - 1976),"Corrine" (UK 'B' Side - 1976 ),"Crossfire" (UK 'B'Side - 1977), "Driver" (UK 'B'Side - 1981),"You're All Woman" (UK 'B'Side - 1985)"You Gave Me Strength" (UK 'B'Side - 1987), "For What It's Worth (I'm Sorry)" (German 'B' Side - 1987), "Your Eyes" (German 'B'Side - 1988),"Purple Rain" (Studio version, UK Concert Single - 1990), "Naomi"(UK Concert Single 'B' Side- 1990),"Two Shadows" (UK Concert 'B'Side - 1990)"Too Much Too Soon" (German 'B' Side - 2006)

There are also unissued "Alternate Versions" of a Number of songs such as "Have You Ever Loved Somebody" (1966) etc....

Many Sixties UK 'B' Sides have ONLY been issued in MONO in the UK where STEREO versions exist, most have been issued overseas, but these rare stereo versions DO constitute UK rarities...also "You in My Arms" and "She Gives Me Everything I Want" (1965) have only been issued in mono in the UK, but in stereo overseas.
The MONO original single 'B' Side Version of "Mad Professor Blyth" (1970) is now a rare track...all later issues are in Stereo.

The MONO Version of "Hollies Sing Dylan" (Parlophone PMC 7078 - 1969) is now in itself a rarity also as it has Never been reissued.

Some Rare Non UK " Alternate Stereo" Versions of songs Exist such as: "Bus Stop", "I Can't Let Go" (Does NOT go to Mono for a few seconds),"Do The Best You Can", "Sorry Suzanne" etc.

There are a Number of Good Quality BBC Recordings of songs, some are "Alternate" versions such as an Early Version of "Wings" with Alternate Lyrics, plus "She Said Yeah","Reelin'& Rockin'" , "I Can't Let Go","Bus Stop","Postcard","Stop Stop Stop" (Guitar not Banjo Version),"Jennifer Eccles", "The Games We Play",

Plus unofficial songs like "Dear Oak Tree"(1971).

In addition there are rare "Live" recordings of songs issued around the World:
"Blowin' In The Wind", Write On" (1982), "Another Night" (1991)...

plus earlier "Live" tracks unissued such as "You Don't Know Like I Know" (Sweden 1966), "Maybe I'll Settle Down" (London,1969),"Let It Be", "Woodstock", "Blood Red Roses" (circa 1970/71)

A number of other Good Quality "Live" Recordings have surfaced around the world...BUT are all "Unofficial" tracks.

Other songs/versions do exist too, so I understand, thus there IS plenty of scope to consider a future "Rarities" volume Two set....
PostPosted:Sun Jun 24, 2007 19:57 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Gee Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

A further few rare Non UK songs are :
"Baby Come Back" and "Hillsborough" (Vocal: Tony Hicks) from 1989 - German Single only, plus Extended 12 Inch Single Versions exist of "Your Eyes" (1988) and "Baby Come Back" (1989), plus an Instrumental version of "Find Me A Family" (1989) and "Long Cool Woman..."(Disco Version) !
PostPosted:Sun Jun 24, 2007 20:10 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Carrie Eloise Post subject:

Geoff - Yeah, I'm sorry...I meant the original Parlophone album catalog. I know that EMI changed the titles and the covers for the re-releases. I never saw the original cover of BUTTERFLY until the 1990's (my copy was a 1978 reissue). But, those original Parlophones are pretty rare. Epic's GREATEST HITS has had the same title, cover and label for over 30 years now.
PostPosted:Tue Jun 26, 2007 11:50 am
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Anthony Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Hi Geoff, your list of songs would fill a few albums, I had no idea the Hollies had so many songs never to see the light of day.
Thanks for your list, I found it very interesting,
Anthony

PostPosted:Tue Jun 26, 2007 13:49 pm
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Gee Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Re Carrie's point....
The Parlophone Albums that are now getting rare are the "Yellow / Black" original versions from the sixties....many of the albums from 1968 onwards were still on catalogue in the UK , with original sleeves and catalogue numbers up to the mid-Seventies....while the "Yellow /Black" Parlophone "Sing Dylan" (STEREO or MONO) and "Sing Hollies" (stereo only) became rare.

Seventies "Silver box" Parlophone labels were MUCH more common....INTRODUCED IN 1970...

Except, THAT IS..... the MONO "Hollies' Greatest" (PMC 7057) and "Sing Dylan" (PMC 7078) with these later seventies style labels.....for these two MONO versions were ONLY available for the duration of 1970....With the mono versions then being Discontinued by EMI from 1971.

As Carrie says the albums were re-issued with new catalogue numbers...and some in later revised sleeves from August 1978.

Hope this is of help.
PostPosted:Tue Jun 26, 2007 17:32 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Carrie Eloise wrote:
Geoff - Yeah, I'm sorry...I meant the original Parlophone album catalog. I know that EMI changed the titles and the covers for the re-releases. I never saw the original cover of BUTTERFLY until the 1990's (my copy was a 1978 reissue). But, those original Parlophones are pretty rare. Epic's GREATEST HITS has had the same title, cover and label for over 30 years now.
Unfortunately so! The cover to Epic's Greatest Hits has always been an eyesore. It looks like a 6 year old designed it. At least in CD size it's a bit easier to take.
PostPosted:Wed Jun 27, 2007 1:22 am
graphic
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Searchin'
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic

Goto page Previous  1, 2