graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Searchin' » Best selling Album
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Ray Post subject: Best selling Album
Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar

Hi everyone... This is just a query or curiosity of mine.
What has been the Hollies best selling studio album? .... I am excluding greatest hits and compilation albums here, only counting Studio albums. I'm not refering to how well an album charted or what number it got to in the charts. I'm wanting to know over the years of 63 - 07 what has proved their most popular in terms of sales.
For example Manfred Mann, it states in the CD booklet I have that While "The Roaring Silence" enjoyed greater chart success, over the years the album "Watch" has become a continuous seller.. becoming the best selling album for the band.
So if anyone knows it would be interesting to find out what has been the Hollies best selling album to date?
Cheers Ray
PostPosted:Sun Apr 15, 2007 1:42 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
James Towill Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Good question, Ray. For my money I'd probably say that Sing Dylan would be the best seller overall, I think it reached #3 in the UK charts and I would guess has sold in resonable quantities elsewhere too.

Geoff Coles (where is he these days?) is probably the best person to give you a definite answer.

Great to have another Earth Band fan on the forum!

PostPosted:Sun Apr 15, 2007 9:25 am
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
benny-b-goode Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Yes, I am sure, as well, that it is the Dylan album. It annoyed me a lot that a band with so much own superb material has an album full of covers as the best selling album in the repertoire.
PostPosted:Sun Apr 15, 2007 13:19 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Ray Post subject:
Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar

Yes so far you both are echoing my thoughts. The Dylan album would have been my first choice as well. But are there any statistics of album sales over the years which could tell us for sure.... just be interesting to know. Well for me anyway. Yes James I have been an Earth Band fan since I was about 16, but not so keen on some of the later stuff, more the 70's and very early 80's.
cheers Ray
PostPosted:Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:42 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Gee Post subject: Best selling Studio album.....?
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

It is virtually impossible to say with any certainty but....

"Hollies Sing Dylan" sold very well (a UK number three album)...but only had a brief chart run, while "Stay with The Hollies" reached number Two in the UK album charts in 1964....and was in the Album charts longer...The Stereo version was re-issued in 1967 by World Records.

"Hollies" (1965) made number Eight...The Stereo version finally came out in 1969 as "Reflection" on EMI's budget Regal Starline label...

Chart placings obviously don't tell the whole story...and then you need to consider re-issues...for "Would You Believe" made number 16 in the UK album chart...then it's stereo version was renamed "I Can't Let Go" and issued on the Buget "Music for Pleasure" label...later it was re-issued on BGO Records restored to original sleeve and title.

I would guess that if you factor in the Budget re-issues then "Would You Believe"/ "I Can't Let Go" and "For Certain Because..."/ "Stop Stop Stop", plus "Hollies" (1965)/"Reflection" and "Evoluton"/"The Hollies"(mfp) have probably SOLD the most ...all charted originally, then got cheap Budget re-issues...then restored to original sleeve re-issues !....while "Stay With..." might have a claim as it achieved highest chart placing, had a longer chart run than "Sing Dylan", got a 1967 re-issue...then a later "restored to original sleeve" re-issue.

However "Hollies" (1965), "Would You Believe" and "For Certain Because.." were freely available as Budget re-issues for far longer so I would say those three Hollies studio albums have probably eclipsed both "Stay with..." and "Sing Dylan" in terms of actual records sold overall...but exact figures even EMI probably do not have (MFP records sold in zillions as they were so cheap and in Woolworths etc....)

Hope this is of some help !
PostPosted:Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:55 am

Last edited by Gee on Thu May 27, 2010 9:17 am; edited 1 time in total
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
holliesfan Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Geoff- Good to see you're back onboard. You are a walking-talking Wikipedia.... Very Happy
PostPosted:Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:48 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Ray Post subject:
Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar

Wow................ an awfull lot to consider and caculate isn't it? Yes this was very helpfull and interesting thanks Geoff for your input. Interesting how there was no mention of a 70's album, food for thought, but what about "Distant Light"? it did sell pretty well in the US.
Cheers Ray
PostPosted:Mon Apr 23, 2007 10:02 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Yes, well, about all you can do is go by original chart placings; how do you figure in sales in subsequent decades? As far as the US is concerned, "Distant Light" was the band's highest charting LP, at No. 21, aside from the 1967 Imperial "Greatest Hits", which made No. 11. "Hollies" ('74) topped out at No. 28, and about a year after it was released as a CD in the early '90s it finally was given a Gold award. Epic's 10-track version of "Evolution", including "Carrie-Anne", made No. 43.

The Dylan album, ironically, bombed in the US; it missed the Top 200 entirely. Epic didn't give up on it, though. It stayed in print longer than any other Hollies LP, although to this day it still hasn't been given a US CD release. Somebody at the company must have liked it, but not enough to want it on CD!
PostPosted:Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:16 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
hollies Post subject:

Site Admin

Sorry Dennis, the chart position has nothing to do with the original post which is specifically about numbers being sold.

The charts may reflect the immediate success of an album, but over time they become meaningless as sales of albums can continue to mutiply many times long after it has dropped out of the charts. An album that does not do well in the charts my be a bands biggest selling album, wherby another album can reach number one but be a bands worst seller.

As Geoff says, many of the originals were also released on budget and WRC labels and also stereo versions boosting sales further.

If you facter in too the advent of CD releases of the original albums, then sales from the 80's onwards will have been boosted tremendously without ever affecting the charts.

In many Record shops around the UK you can still buy some of the studio albums on CD. "Dylan" particulary is still often in the racks.

Another factor that comes in is labels such as Magic who have released the albums again and a fresh lot of sales add to the overall picture.

I think it is impossible to say which album is the best seller because there are just so many variables that could not be calculated but I would take a guess that "Dylan" would be around the top.

Hollies Forum
PostPosted:Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:50 am
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

hollies wrote:
Sorry Dennis, the chart position has nothing to do with the original post which is specifically about numbers being sold.

The charts may reflect the immediate success of an album, but over time they become meaningless as sales of albums can continue to mutiply many times long after it has dropped out of the charts. An album that does not do well in the charts my be a bands biggest selling album, wherby another album can reach number one but be a bands worst seller.

As Geoff says, many of the originals were also released on budget and WRC labels and also stereo versions boosting sales further.

If you facter in too the advent of CD releases of the original albums, then sales from the 80's onwards will have been boosted tremendously without ever affecting the charts.

In many Record shops around the UK you can still buy some of the studio albums on CD. "Dylan" particulary is still often in the racks.

Another factor that comes in is labels such as Magic who have released the albums again and a fresh lot of sales add to the overall picture.

I think it is impossible to say which album is the best seller because there are just so many variables that could not be calculated but I would take a guess that "Dylan" would be around the top.

Right; then the whole conversation is moot.
PostPosted:Fri Apr 27, 2007 17:44 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Lou Post subject:
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

Dennis wrote:

The Dylan album, ironically, bombed in the US; it missed the Top 200 entirely. Epic didn't give up on it, though. It stayed in print longer than any other Hollies LP, although to this day it still hasn't been given a US CD release. Somebody at the company must have liked it, but not enough to want it on CD!

I wonder if the brilliant Rolling Eyes idea of Epic Records to
retitle the album "The Hollies `Words and Music By Bob Dylan' "
at a time when the record buying youth of America was hung up
on bands writing their own original material has anything to do
with the album not doing as well in the US of A ?

I have heard it's lack of sales in the US attributed to the
fact that a lot of artists had already done Dylan songs
years earlier and that the Hollies weren't doing anything new.

The next album (Hollies Sing Hollies) was abridged & retitled
He Ain't Heavy He's My Brother. I am under the impression
that in spite of Epic records lack of a clue, that record sold
fairly well at the time of it's release.

PostPosted:Fri May 11, 2007 14:51 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
SpartyScott Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Lou wrote:
Dennis wrote:

Both the Dylan and He Ain't Heavy albums were printed in large numbers in the U.S.

I got into collecting vynil around 1980 or so, and naturally the first thing I tried to do was complete the Hollies back catalog. The Dylan and He Ain't Heavy albums were far and away the easiest to find in used record stores, even more so than Distant Light and certainly a LOT more than Romany, Moving Finger, or anything released after the band switched to Polydor in the U.K. (they continued to be on Epic in the US).

Thinking back, I recall that the Epic Greatest Hits album from around 1973 was always in print, and that other albums readily available used were the Imperial releases of the 1968 Greatest Hits album and the Stop Stop Stop album.

I never, EVER found the Hollies first LP, "Here I Go Again" in any record store. I finally found it on Ebay about six years ago, which is how I finally completed the Hollies LP discography of American releases.

The Dylan album was a steady seller in the US for a decade before it was finally allowed to go out of print.
PostPosted:Fri May 11, 2007 15:36 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Lou wrote:
Dennis wrote:

Epic's "He Ain't Heavy, He's My Brother" LP peaked at # 32 on the Billboard chart.

Yes, it is curious how it was changed for the US market. The outright anti-war song "Soldier's Dilemna" would have been great for the American public to hear, but Epic thought otherwise, omitting it from the LP. Shame! At least they left "You Know the Score", another anti-war song, on "Distant Light". Anyone who thought the band didn't have any opinions on serious subjects were proved wrong with these tracks.
PostPosted:Fri May 11, 2007 23:34 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Carrie Eloise Post subject:

Undoubtedly, the most universally best selling Hollies album in the world is GREATEST HITS, the one that came out on Epic in 1973. It may have not been a real blast when it came out, but for longevity, it takes 1st prize.

EMI in the UK has let most of the Hollies' catalog go in and out of print at various periods of time. That's why original Parlophone pressings are pretty rare now on vinyl. I have heard that the UK LPs were dumped as soon as the Hollies went to Polydor. In the mid 70's EMI issued that green cover 2-LP set, but the reason it was such a big deal was because the material was almost off the shelves completely from 1973-1977. Also, HOLLIES LIVE HITS made EMI sit up as it was the groups first big seller, featuring mostly Parlophone era hits.

Anyway, GREATEST HITS came out and stays in print to this day. Throughout the 1970's to now, it's almost always the first Hollies album that you buy if you're an American fan. Lots of old beat-up copies of this floating around because it was so well loved for so many years. If you added up the tally, I'm sure this comes out on top.
PostPosted:Fri Jun 22, 2007 17:31 pm
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Gee Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

EMI did NOT automatically delete all The Hollies EMI albums when the band relocated to Polydor in 1972.....

The albums :"Hollies Greatest" (1968) and "Vol 2" (1972), "Hollies Sing Dylan" (1969), "Hollies Sing Hollies" (1969), "Confessions Of The Mind" (1970), "Distant Light" (1971).....were ALL still on catalogue on the Main Parlophone Label in 1975
(I know because I ordered...and obtained them all for a friend in that year)....

Also "Hollies" (1965) was re-issued as "Reflection" on the EMI budget Regal Starline label in November 1969....and "For Certain Because..." (1966) was re-issued on Starline in December 1971 as "Stop Stop Stop", while both "Would You Believe" (retitled "I Can't Let Go" in October 1974 ) and "Evolution" (retitled "The Hollies" earlier in February 1972 ) were re-issued on the cheap "Music For Pleasure" label and remained on catalogue for quite a while thereafter....
PostPosted:Sun Jun 24, 2007 13:07 pm

Last edited by Gee on Mon Jan 04, 2010 19:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
graphic
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Searchin'
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic