graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Words and Music » Hollies Live DVD
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
John Truman Post subject: Hollies Live DVD
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Earlier today, Anthony wanted someone to give a review of the new live DVD. Here goes:

I purchased mine at the Peterborough concert last Thursday and I have watched it 3 times since then. There are 3 sections to the DVD - the first is the Golden Years concert at the Sports Palais in Antwerp in December. The Hollies were one of about 7 acts appearing that evening (see my review of that concert if you want more details) and there were about 15,000 people in the audience. The Hollies were on stage for about 30 minutes and their whole act is shown on this DVD. Long Cool Woman, Here I Go Again, Jennifer Eccles, Sorry Suzanne, Carrie Anne, The Air That I Breathe, He Ain't Heavy and Let Love Pass were the songs from this show. There are lots of close-ups of the lads and shots of the large crowd. The quality is very good.

Section Two of the DVD is a list of songs, some of which are from Cafe de Paris in London in January 2006 and some were recorded in Shepperton Studios. The songs recorded in the studio are from Staying Power and are Break Me, Prove Me Wrong, and Suspended Animation. Again the quality of these are very good but I think the cameraman was a bit over-adventurous on Suspended Animation. The songs from Cafe De Paris are Bus Stop, I'm Alive, The Baby, Stop Stop Stop and Peter's acoustic version of Here I Go Again. This concert was held in a small room with about 300 people invited so there was a good atmosphere here. The audience were very close to the stage and unfortunately the back of my head appears on numerous shots when the camera focuses on Peter so apologies for that!!

Section Three shows a number of brilliant pictures of the band which were taken by Rob. Let Love Pass plays in full in the background while picture after picture appears on the screen.

This DVD is well worth the Ģ15 in my opinion and it complements the other Hollies DVDs (He Ain't Heavy from Germany and the Dutch CD/DVD collection) which have been released recently.

You wait ages for one and then three appear!!

Hope that gives you a flavour.

PostPosted:Mon Apr 02, 2007 20:25 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Anthony Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Hi John,
Many thanks for your review, sounds like a great DVD, I got an email from Rob to say mines on the way. I'm looking forward to seeing the Antwerp show.
When my copy arrives I'll have all the DVD's you spoke about, it's a nice collection of Hollies material, we have gone from nothing to all these. The only sad point is we don't have a clip of Carl from his years with the band. My DVD is getting a good workout with the Dutch Collection and I know it will be the same with this new live DVD.
Thanks again John, I also read your concert review, it was great, helps us who are unable to make the shows.
Anthony

PostPosted:Mon Apr 02, 2007 22:21 pm
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
John Truman Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

I've just noticed that I missed off two songs from my review. So Damn Beautiful and Emotions are also included from the Cafe de Paris show.

Let me know what you think when you get yours, Anthony.

Regards

PostPosted:Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:15 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
paulgillingham Post subject:

Great to see there is at last a L ive DVD available . I will be at Littlecote House and Cliffs Pavilion will it still be on sale at either of these venues?
Also received The Dutch Collection last week and it was great to see the performances of so many Holles classics from the time they were released. A nostalgic must for all fans of the greatest ever group these shores have ever produced and long may they continue.

Regards from Paul
PostPosted:Tue Apr 03, 2007 14:35 pm
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
hollies Post subject:

Site Admin

They will be if there are any left, they are selling fast.

Hollies Forum
PostPosted:Tue Apr 03, 2007 16:02 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Bonus Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

I recieved the Live dvd today and canīt stop wieving and listening to it. Itīs just awesome!! Buy it!!!

Thanks to Rob at Hollies homepage for giving this service!!
PostPosted:Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:07 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Anthony Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Hi Bonus,
So far two out of two great reports on the live DVD, don't think mine will reach me before Easter sadly so I look forward to getting it soon after.

PostPosted:Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:23 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Bonus Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Anthony, I really hope Youīll get the dvd tomorrow, cause then it will be a happy eastern!

I especially enjoy the parts from Cafe de Paris. Hollies seems so relaxed and for example SDB and The Baby is at itīs best. Itīs just super!!
PostPosted:Wed Apr 04, 2007 14:29 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
paulgillingham Post subject: Live DVD

Sent off cheque on Tuesday DVD arrived on Saturday and there was no post on Good Friday. My thanks to Jimmy Smith for such a quick reply and to Rob for advising me not to wait before buying. I am glad I did the DVD is awesome both in content and quality. Can't wait for May 19th to get here. Anyone dithering about whether to buy, don't think about it just buy it, you will regret it if you don't. Now its time to get back to watching the greatest band of all time.

Regards to all from
Paul. Very Happy Very Happy
PostPosted:Sun Apr 08, 2007 13:09 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
SpartyScott Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

My copy arrived in Saturday's mail (thanks Rob).

And yes, it plays just fine on DVD players sold in the U.S., and I fired it up on two different units. Each played the disc without problems.
PostPosted:Mon Apr 09, 2007 0:18 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

SpartyScott wrote:

And yes, it plays just fine on DVD players sold in the U.S., and I fired it up on two different units. Each played the disc without problems.

Hey SpartyScott (fellow USA Hollies fan)
What do you think of the DVD? How are the videos from Staying Power? The performance of "The Baby"?
PostPosted:Tue Apr 10, 2007 0:03 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Anthony Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

I saw the postman up the street, I thought I'd wait outside for the Hollies live DVD, what no DVD, oh well always tomorrow. I was expecting the DVD to get here at world record speed.
With luck I hope to be telling you the good news tomorrow.
Anthony

PostPosted:Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:45 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
SpartyScott Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Dennis wrote:
SpartyScott wrote:

Hey SpartyScott (fellow USA Hollies fan)
What do you think of the DVD? How are the videos from Staying Power? The performance of "The Baby"?

The Baby was good, which surprised me because that's not a favorite Hollies song of mine. In fact, I like almost every Rickfors-era track from the two LP's he made with the Hollies more than that single. Instrumentally, the group was solid. And Howarth's vocal range comfortably hits the notes on Rickfors lead vocal songs. I'd like to hear Peter doing Slow Down or Blue In The Morning (each of which is a FAR superior song when compared to The Baby).

For the most part, the Hollies on stage can duplicate their studio sound from the new album. I confess that I'm not a huge fan of the Staying Power album, so I'm probably not the best person to talk about their concert performances of the tracks from that disc.

Peter did miss a couple of lines when singing the oldies, so perhaps they were a touch underrehearsed.
PostPosted:Tue Apr 10, 2007 14:43 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
hollies Post subject:

Site Admin

Anthony

Your DVD was in the very first batch to be posted on the 2nd April along with 5 others who all have theirs. But they all live within 2000 miles in Europe. Can you move closer???.

However, I am disappointed that you have not yet received it. The package was sent airmail small packet so there is no real reason why you should not by now be wearing it out!!

I'll keep my fingers crossed it is there very soon.

Edit
Just got back from PO and they say it should take a week to Australia so, allowing for a four day holiday weekend in the UK, it should be with you anytime now.

Hollies Forum
PostPosted:Tue Apr 10, 2007 15:11 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Anthony Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Hi Rob and all the gang,
My Hollies DVD arrived today, firstly I want to ask with the more songs section can you play them all, after every song it goes back to the song menue. Does it have a play all?
I really enjoy the live Antwerp show. Peter puts everything into the concert, the band seems to be having a great time on stage. The sound is great, I love Carrie Anne, always like to see Tony do his solo bit. I would love to see a full concert live on DVD.
I'm really very happy with the Studio clips, this is when the band seems at it's best, it's like this album is ours, Steve really steps up in these clips, from all reports he is doing well singing lead on a few songs in concert these days.
Love both versions of Let Love Pass, the live Antwerp show and the photos taken by Rob at the end of the DVD, this is a classic Hollies number, a great song to end the shows, it's my favourite song from Staying Power.
To be honest it's strange seeing two newer faces up front of the band, but they all work well together, the sounds great, the show is brilliant. The Hollies give value for money. This DVD is a must for all fans.

PostPosted:Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:56 am
graphic
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Words and Music
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Page 1 of 3