graphic
Goto page 1, 2  Next
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Words and Music » Out On The Road originals -v- Hollies ['74] remakes
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
James Towill Post subject: Out On The Road originals -v- Hollies ['74] remakes
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

...discuss.... Very Happy

Transatlantic Westbound Jet is an absolute killer track on OOTR, too slick for my liking on Hollies '74. Kinda neutral opinion on the other two...

PostPosted:Tue Mar 27, 2007 19:32 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
benny-b-goode Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

I think that you're completely right. "Killer track" is an absolutely adequate description for the OOTR version of "Transatlantic Westbound Jet". The interplay between Tony's guitar and the piano is great. Sounds like the start of a Jam. I love the growing of the song into a climax from quiet to louder parts. The Hollies 74 version sounds too psychedelic for a 70s rock songs for me.
Who plays the piano on this record, by the way ? Is it Bernie ?
"Out On The Road" is a little bit better on the Hollies 74 album, I think because Allan does a better rocking job on this version. It's like with Long Cool Woman. Noone can "rock" this song like Allan does.

But, James, what is the third track ? I might be wrong but it sounds to my ears, as if "Pick Up The Pieces Again" were the same versions on Hollies 74 and OOTR. Terry had sung it on OOTR, so perhaps there wasn't the need to rerecord it with Allan for the Hollies 74 album. But I'm not sure about this point.

All in all, I'm a big fan of both albums. They are two of my all time favourites.
PostPosted:Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:43 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
marko661 Post subject:
Banjo

Banjo

I'm a bit confused: what album is Out on the Road? I've never come across it.
PostPosted:Wed Mar 28, 2007 11:41 am
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
SpartyScott Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

benny-b-goode wrote:

But, James, what is the third track ? I might be wrong but it sounds to my ears, as if "Pick Up The Pieces Again" were the same versions on Hollies 74 and OOTR. Terry had sung it on OOTR, so perhaps there wasn't the need to rerecord it with Allan for the Hollies 74 album. But I'm not sure about this point.

They are the same recording.

Since the OOTR album was expected to never see the light of day, the Hollies obviously felt no need to re-do Terry's song. Of course, I'm sure that Mike's harmony vocals are there on the Hollies 74 release, so he probably should have received a credit on the album cover.
PostPosted:Wed Mar 28, 2007 11:55 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
snowflake Post subject:
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

James, you're right; the OOTR version of Transatlantic is a killer, from Mikael's cool vocal style to the extended instrumental part at the end. I agree, Benny, it sounds like a jam session; they were really in to it. What a great track. Very Happy

PostPosted:Wed Mar 28, 2007 12:45 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

marko661 wrote:
I'm a bit confused: what album is Out on the Road? I've never come across it.

This is the second LP featuring Mikael Rickfors, intended as the followup to "Romany". It was recorded in 1973, but wasn't released until the following year, after Allan Clarke had rejoined. "Out On The Road" did not receive a UK or US release (a sad fact to this day), but was issued in Germany, Spain, and the Phillipines. The German LP is the most common of the three. It was reissued on CD on the Rockinbeat label in Germany under the title "The Mikael Rickfors Years" with some extra tracks, and most recently in France under its original title, also with bonus tracks. The French issue is a digipak and is a nice package, but the original LP version still has the best sound quality.
PostPosted:Wed Mar 28, 2007 15:26 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
James Towill Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Yeah, I kinda thought Pick Up The Pieces was the same on both albums, although maybe it's just my ears, but the bass sounds a little different.

PostPosted:Wed Mar 28, 2007 15:51 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Gee Post subject: Pick up the pieces...again
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

The two versions sound similar, tho' some re-recording has clearly taken place....but some people always refuse to accept actual facts !
PostPosted:Wed Mar 28, 2007 20:33 pm

Last edited by Gee on Thu May 27, 2010 9:21 am; edited 1 time in total
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
SpartyScott Post subject: Re: Pick up the pieces...again
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Geoff coles wrote:
Although sounding VERY similar, the tempo's differ slightly and some of the instruments are re-located for the second version

The Hollies Recording Sessions show :
"Pick up the Pieces" was cut on 26 February 1973 for "Out on the Road"
While "Pick up the Pieces Again" was recorded over 15 - 19 October 1973 for "Hollies" (1974).
Both these recordings were made at Abbey Road.

I think the band most probably returned to the original track and "re-cut" parts (i.e. The Bass, possibly Terry's Lead Vocal, backup vocals etc...) as they have done on several other occasions like "Blowin' in the Wind" ,"If the Lights Go Out", and "Take My Love And Run" etc....

I remain unconvinced that these are different. Sure, the engineers may have done a bit of remixing, but it's got to be the same recording.
PostPosted:Thu Mar 29, 2007 0:44 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Gee Post subject: Two Recordings....?
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Well whatever, the song appears TWICE in the Hollies Official recording session listings under two different titles.
PostPosted:Thu Mar 29, 2007 8:24 am

Last edited by Gee on Thu May 27, 2010 12:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
SpartyScott Post subject: Re: Two Recordings....?
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Didn't we get that once before on the session listings, though? I seem to recall "I'm Talking About You" being listed twice (single, and EP versions, I think), when they were clearly the same performance. So I take the session list with a grain of salt.

But, what the heck - I'll listen to the album tracks for Terry's song side by side, and see if I think the bass part is any different.
PostPosted:Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:52 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Gee Post subject: Pieces....
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

I am in the process of trying to find out the position re this track for you "from the Horses mouth" as it were...so bear with me and I'll see if I can give you the exact details....when I can !
PostPosted:Thu Mar 29, 2007 13:24 pm

Last edited by Gee on Thu May 27, 2010 9:19 am; edited 1 time in total
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Gee Post subject: Picking up those Pieces....again
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

I have now had a reply from Angela, Terry Sylvester's website Secretary...she tells me Terry has advised he "re-mixed" the original "Pick up the Pieces" backing track, and it seems the tempo was slightly amended...he can't recall if they re-cut the Bass (although it is possible), however Terry Sylvester says he did re-cut the Lead vocal for the second version (to my ears they sound virtually identical !), but that is what Terry says...he also added "it was a very long time ago"....

I also enquired re this with Bobby....but he could not remember and suggested we ask Terry...!
PostPosted:Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:03 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
James Towill Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Thanks for the information, Geoff! Very Happy

PostPosted:Tue Apr 17, 2007 15:08 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
SpartyScott Post subject: Re: Picking up those Pieces....again
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Geoff coles wrote:
I have now had a reply from Angela, Terry Sylvester's website Secretary...she tells me Terry has advised he "re-mixed" the original "Pick up the Pieces" backing track, and it seems the tempo was slightly amended...he can't recall if they re-cut the Bass (although it is possible), however Terry Sylvester says he did re-cut the Lead vocal for the second version (to my ears they sound virtually identical !), but that is what Terry says...he also added "it was a very long time ago"....

I also enquired re this with Bobby....but he could not remember and suggested we ask Terry...!

Look, since to my ears I still hear Rickfors on harmoney vocals and no sign of Allan, I find it likely that, whatever work the band may have done working on a new performance, in the end the record company just recycled the original. And why wouldn't they? At the time, no one figured that the Out On The Road album would ever be heard. So it makes good business sense for the Hollies in 1974 to release as a new song anything that had Terry or Tony as principle singer without obvious Rickfors vocals.
PostPosted:Thu Apr 19, 2007 13:31 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Words and Music
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic

Goto page 1, 2  Next