graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Elevated Observation » Shocking Blue/Mariska Veres
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject: Shocking Blue/Mariska Veres
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Just found out about the passing of The Shocking Blue lead singer Mariska Veres, on Dec. 8, 2006, "Venus" was a giant hit here in the US and around the world. I didn't realize that it hit No. 1 on 3 separate occasions; first by Shocking Blue, then again as part of the Stars on 45 medley, and again by Bananarama. Shocking Blue had a number of other great songs, too, such as "Mighty Joe" and "Ink Pot". Check out YouTube for a great video of "Venus" where Mariska is singing live. Apart from her singing talent, she was some looker. Shocked
PostPosted:Sat Mar 24, 2007 5:17 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
SheLenka Post subject:
Banjo

Banjo

Good source of sad information is here http://thedeadrockstarsclub.com/deadrock.html

RIP, Mariska.
PostPosted:Sat Mar 24, 2007 12:07 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

I'm really enjoying the videos on YouTube of The Shocking Blue. Mariska was a very talented lady. Although unfairly tagged as a one hit wonder band, it is another case of a band being known primarily for one big hit, when in fact they had many hits and made a lot of excellent rock and roll music worth investigating. Shocking Blue toured the US in 1970, supporting acts such as Ike and Tina Turner and Three Dog Night. "Mighty Joe", their followup to "Venus", also made No. 1 in Holland, and No. 43 in the US. Sometimes compared favorably to Grace Slick of The Jefferson Airplane, Mariska Veres even sang "White Rabbit" and "Somebody to Love" in concert. Must have been great to hear her sing those.
PostPosted:Sat Mar 24, 2007 15:47 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
brandy Post subject:
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

RIP, indeed. Can't believe I missed the original news or this thread until now.

As much as I like Venus and the other two songs you mentioned, Dennis, there were two other Shocking Blue songs that were my absolute favorites. Don't know if either was released as a single anywhere. In the US, Hot Sand was the B-side of Venus. Both that song and Send Me a Postcard were scorching yet melodic rockers that are still among my favorite songs from that era. Guitarist-composer Robbie van Leeuwen wrote so many great songs...and like Tony Hicks, used the electric sitar to great effect on several tunes, such as Hot Sand.

Yes Dennis, Mariska was QUITE the looker. However, I remember that when I bought my most recent collection of theirs in Amsterdam in 2005, my Dutch friend commented that she had put on a great deal of weight in later years, a la Heart's Ann Wilson. But then...haven't many of us Question

PostPosted:Fri Mar 30, 2007 14:20 pm
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Elevated Observation
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic

Page 1 of 1