graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Words and Music » Hollies live on "Midnight Special" w/ Rickfors - A
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
SpartyScott Post subject: Hollies live on "Midnight Special" w/ Rickfors - A
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

My post "subject" line was truncated. That title should read 'Hollies live on "Midnight Special" w/ Rickfors - Amazing!'

This is just fantastic stuff, from the U.S. television show "Midnight Special."

I got these on Ebay, since there's no way I'm interested in buying the complete package of a zillion DVD's from the currently available series from that television program.

Here's what we have: "More 1973" has Mike Rickfors on lead vocals performing He Ain't Heavy, He's My Brother, and it's a great performance that I had never seen. Harry Chapin introduces the band. The lineup has Bernie on piano, Hicks playing bass (with no guitar pick, playing like a man), Mike on harmonica, Terry on acoutstic guitar, Bobby on drums and some organ player playing offstage faking the orchestra (and I'm talking about a regular organ, not a synthesizer). Mike's vocal performance is just great, but what makes it for me is Terry's outstanding harmony vocals. He did about as much as one voice can do to imitate a choir-type sound like we get on the official record. Yes, Tony sings too, but Terry puts it over the top. This is just thrilling. Mike's harmonica performance is flawless, too.

The other disc is "More 1975." Despite the name of the disc, this DVD includes the Rickfors lineup performing Long Cool Woman In A Black Dress live - obviously recorded well before 1975. This time, the group was introduced by Barry Gibb. Terry is the only vocalist on this track, with Tony handling the lead guitar chores. Terry, Tony, and Mike all have electric guitars, and the intruments sound great. The personnel are exactly the same as on the other disc (obviously, Bernie is on bass), except there's no organ playing offstage. The best part is that with Terry doing the singing, you can actually understand every line of Allan's song! The only downside is that for some reason, the band shortened both the guitar intro and the guitar solo in the middle of the song. Oh well, you can't have everything, right?

Anyway, perhaps these performances have been on the various boot VHS tapes that have been circulating, although I don't recall seeing either. But, the video and audio are great, and I'm very, very excited to have these two discs.
PostPosted:Tue Mar 20, 2007 0:06 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Thanks SpartyScott, for the detailed review of these clips. I couldn't have done a better job myself.
PostPosted:Wed Mar 21, 2007 2:54 am
graphic
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Words and Music
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic

Page 1 of 1