graphic
Goto page Previous  1, 2
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Write On » Bad cover nominee - Herman's Hermits sing 'Bus Stop'
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Herman's Hermits' records apparently had session players on them at various times, so I'm not surprised. Yes, both "Jezebel" and "My Reservation's Been Confirmed" are GREAT rockers, whoever played on them. But the video of "Jezebel" shows the band playing it absolutely LIVE and it is really top notch. Also on YouTube: "No Milk Today", also LIVE, and their appearance on The Hollywood Palace with Phyllis Diller. Oddly, they play the great Graham Gouldman song "Listen People" totally live, and then do "Dandy" totally lipsync. A real head-scratcher. Confused

It seems to be fashionable these days to knock Herman's Hermits. I don't know why. They had a lot of hits here in the US, and were very popular. Both The Who and The Hollies opened for them on tour. If people can embrace The Monkees like they do, why not Herman's Hermits? They had some great songs, and, judging from the live videos on YouTube, were a fine band.
PostPosted:Thu Mar 01, 2007 17:08 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Gee Post subject: Hermania.....!
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

They comprised Peter "Herman" Noone (Lead Vocals), Derek "Lek" Leckenby (Lead Guitar,Vocals), Keith Hopwood (Rhythm Guitar,Vocals), Karl Green (Bass Guitar,Vocals) and Barry Whitwam (Drums,Percussion).
PostPosted:Thu Mar 01, 2007 20:50 pm

Last edited by Gee on Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:29 am; edited 1 time in total
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Yes, and if you count their first No. 1 (in the UK) "I'm Into Something Good" (first recorded by a girl group whose name escapes me at the moment), the Hermits had 4 No. 1 hits in a row: "I'm Into Something Good", "Mrs. Brown You've Got A Lovely Daughter". "I'm Henry VII, I Am", and "Can't You Hear My Heartbeat", the latter three all topped the US chart. A particular favorite of mine is "Museum". It wasn't a big hit here (#37 I believe), but it showed how they could try something with some weird lyrics and make it work for them. Mickie Most was a genius when it came to commercial records. Lulu's most consistent hit period was with Most. I love "Me, The Peaceful Heart" and "Boy", as well as the US hits "To Sir With Love" and "Morning Dew". And let's not forget "The Boat That I Row", an early Neil Diamond number. Another Mickie Most produced hit that I adore is Mary Hopkin's "Temma Harbour".
PostPosted:Thu Mar 01, 2007 23:17 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Vrinda Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

All valid points, guys, and I think it's strange that Herman's Hermits have gotten so much flack over the years, whereas the Monkees have gotten more positive attention. After all, the Monkees were the original "manufactured band," as harmless and clean as Herman's Hermits, though not as talented. When they were first on the scene, no one took them seriously as a group, but Herman's Hermits, who were a talented bunch of individuals who formed as a group of friends in performing in and out of their hometown, could be ridiculed for catering to the younger members of the listening audience and promoting a squeaky-clean, cutesy image? That doesn't make sense, but in the music industry, what does?
PostPosted:Thu Mar 01, 2007 23:56 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Anthony Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Hi all,
I think HH are a great 60 group, some of their songs are 60's classic's like "No Milk Today", "A must to avoid", "Listen People", "I'm into something good", "Jezebel" My favourite HH song is "Dream On"
HH also made some fun 60's movies and I know Peter Noone is still playing great shows, I have a Live cd of Peter Noone playing all the HH hits and it's brilliant.
I have always thought of HH as a well respected band. I still think they did a bad job on Bus Stop, but then again I think the Hollies have had the odd bad song or two.
On Peter Noone's web page you can ask him questions, and I asked him about the Hollies, he spoke fondly of Graham and Allan.
Thanks,
Anthony

PostPosted:Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:44 am
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
SpartyScott Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

The Monkees had their moment of brilliance when they wrote, played, sang, and created "Headquarters."

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that the Hermits never did anything to compare with that.
PostPosted:Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:29 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Anthony Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

I agree with you Scott, the Monkees Headquarters is a great album,
I love Mr.Webster, No Time, Shades of Grey, Zilch but to be honest my favourite is one of the Bonus numbers on my copy "Nine Times Blue" a Mike Nesmith song.
Too many people think of the Monkees as a manufactured group, Daydream Believer has to be one of the all time 60's classics.

PostPosted:Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:45 am
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Gee Post subject: Headquarters....
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

You will be pleased to know that a "Deluxe" 2CD set (I think two CD) of both "Headquarters" and "Pisces Aquarius..." are due for release shortly....
PostPosted:Fri Mar 02, 2007 14:06 pm

Last edited by Gee on Mon Jan 04, 2010 19:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

SpartyScott wrote:
The Monkees had their moment of brilliance when they wrote, played, sang, and created "Headquarters."

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that the Hermits never did anything to compare with that.

The Monkees had quite a few moments of brilliance, whether they played and/or sang on their records or not is beside the point. "Headquarters" is a good album, but it's only lauded by defenders of The Monkees because they finally got to do what they wanted on an LP, without Kirshner's involvement. I like the other Monkees LPs just as much. The Monkees had a lot of input from many sources that created their records. It was very much a collaboration.

Herman's Hermits made some very charming and excellent records with Mickie Most producing. He was never an LP guy; he made hits, and a lot of 'em.
PostPosted:Fri Mar 02, 2007 17:41 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Gee Post subject: Mickie Most....
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

You may say Mickie Most was never an "LP guy"....

BUT do remember he produced the classic Jeff Beck Group (wth Rod Stewart & Ron Wood) Landmark albums : "Truth" (1967) and "Beck Ola" (1969)....

plus the Classics : "Animals" (1964) and "Animal Tracks" (1965)....

and later the Jazz Rock albums "C.C.S.", "C.C.S. 2", and "Best Band in the Land",
(Circa 1970 - 1973) all featuring the Late Great Alexis Korner......
PostPosted:Fri Mar 02, 2007 20:28 pm

Last edited by Gee on Thu May 27, 2010 12:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Susie Hewett Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

I watched the clip for about a minute and that was enough for me. I agree with Anthony when he said the song is too slow. No-one can sing Bus Stop (or any other Hollies song) as good as The Hollies who had the original version as far as I know.

Susie

PostPosted:Sat Mar 03, 2007 0:35 am
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Still, the first thing that pops into my mind with regards to producer Mickie Most is Herman's Hermits, then The Animals, Donovan, Lulu, The Yardbirds, which led to Jeff Beck, and Mary Hopkin. Producing hit singles was his forte.

I think it is true that Herman's Hermits did "Bus Stop" first. It was on their 2nd US LP. Graham Gouldman songs were up for grabs at that time, and since the Hermits' version was just an LP track, The Hollies had their chance to do it as a single.

I just watched Herman's Hermits on YouTube doing "Jezebel" and "No Milk Today" (written by Graham Gouldman) live again, and am still knocked out. The Hermits were a tight little band all right.
PostPosted:Sat Mar 03, 2007 7:13 am

Last edited by Dennis on Sat Mar 03, 2007 17:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Gee Post subject: Bus Stop....by Request....
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Graham Gouldman actually gave the song to Graham Nash and recommended that The Hollies do it.
PostPosted:Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:28 am

Last edited by Gee on Thu May 27, 2010 12:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Gee Post subject: On The Omni...Buses....
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Oh yes one other point...Much as Nash liked the song a couple of the Hollies apparently felt it was a bit "Too cute" or "square" at the time and took some "persuading" that it was right for them to cover it.
PostPosted:Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:34 am

Last edited by Gee on Thu May 27, 2010 12:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
benny-b-goode Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

For me there is no question that noone can match The Hollies' version of "Bus Stop". It is the song I heard on RTL radio in 2001 which made me a Hollies fan. From then on I began to explore their whole catalogue (and I recognized that it is not an easy task). It is not the rockin' sound of their version. It is also the brilliant musical interlude with a touch of orientalism and Allan's brilliant voice on The Hollies' version. Peter Noone is no Allan Clarke.

One additional thing about The Monkees. I really like The Monkees, as well (though they are far from The Hollies position in my personal chart list). I have all their albums on CD and I can find great songs on all their albums. "A Man Without A Dream" from the less known album "Instant Replay" (1969) is one of my Monkees' favourites. The whole album "Changes" (1970) is just half of a Monkees album with only Mickey and David being on it. It was the last album until their 1980s comeback album "Pool It". But "Changes" is one of my favourites because it sounds funky and has a lot of soul. Just listen to "Oh My My" and "Do You Feel It, Too ?". Great!!! I can only recommend that album as a valuable addition to their top albums "Headquarters" and "Pisces, Aquarius,...".
PostPosted:Sat Mar 03, 2007 15:48 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Write On
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic

Goto page Previous  1, 2