graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Elevated Observation » The Yardbirds 2007
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject: The Yardbirds 2007
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Going to see The Yardbirds in April here in Hollywood. Chris (rhythm guitar) and Jim (drums) from the original lineup, plus new members including a 22 year old guitarist who resembles Jeff Beck. He also sings lead. Another guy plays harmonica. I've seen a video of the new lineup on YouTube and they sound great! On their website some fans are saying that the band is better than ever. Don't know about that, but I do want to see them. They're playing a small, hip club here called The Knitting Factory. Should be a lot of fun. The Yardbirds have some great songs.
PostPosted:Sat Feb 24, 2007 5:42 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Gee Post subject: Most Blueswailing....
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Lead singer The Late Great Keith Relf once famously broke his fingers trying to do karate chops....which Allan Clarke & Graham Nash were trying to show him how to do properly ! (so the story goes....)
PostPosted:Sat Feb 24, 2007 11:25 am

Last edited by Gee on Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:48 am; edited 1 time in total
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Knut Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Yardbirds are a fabolous group, even these days. I've seen them a couple of times in Denmark and Norway in the 90's. Excellent is the word. try out their latest album. too, which has a high standard. Birdland (see http://www.theyardbirds.com/)

I see they are coming to Norway on 12. May, have to check that out, thanks for tipping me about the group again.

Enjoy the show, Dennis, you won't be disappointed! And after that show, why not plan a trip to Sweden to see Mikael rickfors promoting his new solo album? That would be something, wouldn't it? I might go to Sweden too!

Would you believe the Hollies had power to stay by evolution of their style from Buddy Holly ? That's for certain because they follow what goes around, write on and go out on the road. They did it then, they do it now - please do it always.
PostPosted:Sat Feb 24, 2007 20:41 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject: Re: Most Blueswailing....
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Geoff coles wrote:
You should enjoy the show Dennis...Lead singer The Late Great Keith Relf once famously broke his fingers trying to do karate chops....which Allan Clarke & Graham Nash were trying to show him how to do properly ! (so the story goes....)

Their fist album, the "Five Live Yardbirds" set with Eric Clapton is brilliant....and so too the 1966 studio album "Yardbirds" with Jeff Beck.
Although Mickie Most later tried to make them into a "Pop Group" (no way....), the tracks such as: "Think About It", "Drinking Muddy Water", "Puzzles", plus a Keith Relf folk tune and a Jimmy Page instrumental (also done by Led Zeppelin early on ) are well up to the band's great standards...."Little Games" (1967) was quite a decent pop song...with Page superb "Violin bow" across his guitar......

"Dazed and Confused" was originally a Yardbirds song...only done "live" tho' while Rhythm/Bass Guitarist Chris Dreja was also a fine photographer...he took the photo of Led Zep on the back of their first album (they started as "The New Yardbirds" of course....in many ways the Yardbirds "Fathered" Led Zep...)

I have the rare "Happening Ten Years Time Ago" / "Psycho Daises" single whith both Jeff Beck & Jimmy Page blasting away together....Beck did a version of "Shapes of Things" on his first album "Truth" in 1967....which also featured "Beck's Bolero" written for Jeff by Jimmy Page...with a line up of Beck (lead guitar),Page (guitar) John Paul Jones (Bass) and Keith Moon (Drums)....imagine that for a proper band.....!!

Todd Rungren named his band The Nazz in honour of Yardbirds track "The Nazz are Blue" (1966).....a classic band...and no doubt the latest line up with Chris & Jim will still be superb (Jeff Beck has "guested" with them a few times in recent years...)

You mentioned the two UK Yardbirds LPs. Hard to believe, really, that those were the ONLY Yardbirds albums released in the UK! Here in the States it was a totally different story. We got part of "Five Live Yardbirds" on the 2nd Epic LP "Having A Raveup with the Yardbirds". Their debut LP was "For Your Love". The third was essentially the same as the sole UK studio album, but titled after the hit "Over Under Sideways Down". Then came "The Yardbirds' Greatest Hits", followed by "Little Games", unreleased in the UK until the 1980s. Lastly was the aborted "Live Yardbirds" LP. So 6 US Yardbirds LPs vs. 2 in the UK. No wonder they spent so much time touring here.

And Led Zeppelin? I couldn't get past Robert Plant's singing. Like Pete Townshend said, I never liked that band.
PostPosted:Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:11 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
brandy Post subject:
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

Would you have preferred the singing of Graham Nash's old mate, Terry Reid [Man With No Expression (Horses Through a Rainstorm)]? He's nearly as responsible as Jimmy Page for one of the biggest, if not the biggest, rock bands of the 70s.

Singer/guitarist/composer Reid was originally tapped by Jimmy Page to be the singer for The New Yardbirds/Led Zeppelin. Set to do an American tour and convinced that his own big break was about happen, however, Reid declined the offer. But he did suggest that Page go up to Birmingham and check out a singer in a group called Band of Joy. Page did and was impressed by Robert Plant, but he got more than he bargained for. He was also knocked out by the Band of Joy's dummer, one John Bonham. Thus, Page and John Paul Jones completed their lineup.

Although Reid had a solid if not spectacular musical career, one can't help but think what he felt as LZ became the most popular band in the world during the 70s, and wondered what might have been. I've read, though, that Reid says he has no regrets about the way things happened.

Zep might have had a somewhat different sound with two-guitar front line and a different voice - although Reid could really wail in the upper vocal range in a way similar to Plant. On the other hand, every member contributes something to the chemistry of a band; despite Page's presence, the band might not have had nearly the impact or influence with Reid.

One for the "we'll never really know" category!

PostPosted:Tue Feb 27, 2007 16:51 pm
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
SpartyScott Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Wow - McCarty and Dreja performing as the Yardbirds?

A non-singing rhythm guitarist incapable of playing leads who would get bumped to bass and a drummer as the star power of a band?

I can't see people lining up for this one.
PostPosted:Tue Feb 27, 2007 17:38 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

SpartyScott wrote:
Wow - McCarty and Dreja performing as the Yardbirds?

A non-singing rhythm guitarist incapable of playing leads who would get bumped to bass and a drummer as the star power of a band?

I can't see people lining up for this one.

I was skeptical at first, too, until I saw some videos on YouTube. The band sounds superb. Isn't that the point? The new frontman, John Idan, looks like Beck and sounds like Relf. What a perfect choice.

There are people who can't accept the current Hollies lineup either. I'm still on the fence. I love "Suspended Animation", but I saw the recent video of them doing "Jennifer Eccles" and I wasn't keen on it, but I don't particularly care for that song now anyway, although I do like E's version on "Sing Hollies in Reverse".

And what about The Zombies, currently touring with just Colin Blunstone and Rod Argent from the original lineup. Is that any more legit? I mean, it's too much to ask for a currently performing act from the 1960s to have more than one or two original members. It's all about the music and the songs anyway really. But the bottom line is you have to like what you hear. Regarding the current version of The Yardbirds, I do.
PostPosted:Tue Feb 27, 2007 17:54 pm

Last edited by Dennis on Tue Feb 27, 2007 18:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

brandy wrote:
Would you have preferred the singing of Graham Nash's old mate, Terry Reid [Man With No Expression (Horses Through a Rainstorm)]? He's nearly as responsible as Jimmy Page for one of the biggest, if not the biggest, rock bands of the 70s.

Singer/guitarist/composer Reid was originally tapped by Jimmy Page to be the singer for The New Yardbirds/Led Zeppelin. Set to do an American tour and convinced that his own big break was about happen, however, Reid declined the offer. But he did suggest that Page go up to Birmingham and check out a singer in a group called Band of Joy. Page did and was impressed by Robert Plant, but he got more than he bargained for. He was also knocked out by the Band of Joy's dummer, one John Bonham. Thus, Page and John Paul Jones completed their lineup.

Although Reid had a solid if not spectacular musical career, one can't help but think what he felt as LZ became the most popular band in the world during the 70s, and wondered what might have been. I've read, though, that Reid says he has no regrets about the way things happened.

Zep might have had a somewhat different sound with two-guitar front line and a different voice - although Reid could really wail in the upper vocal range in a way similar to Plant. On the other hand, every member contributes something to the chemistry of a band; despite Page's presence, the band might not have had nearly the impact or influence with Reid.

One for the "we'll never really know" category!

It's pretty hard to get into a band if you don't like the lead singer. Plant's singing (banshee wailing?) just doesn't appeal to me at all. But their music is too overblown and bombastic, not my cup of tea.
PostPosted:Tue Feb 27, 2007 18:10 pm

Last edited by Dennis on Tue Feb 27, 2007 18:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
brandy Post subject:
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

Sparty,

I haven't seen the New New Yardbirds Very Happy myself, despite having a chance to "line up" a few years ago, but I've read nothing but good reviews of their live shows.

However, I suspect most of the firepower does come from the new, younger members, rather than Dreja and McCarty!

Birdland, the CD they released a few years ago, is quite good. It features a lot of remakes of Yardbirds classics plus new material. Easily, my favorite tune from the new material is "An Original Man (A Song For Keith)" which is of course a tribute to Keith Relf.

Reforming the Yardbirds isn't the most unlikely thing McCarty has done following the demise of the original band. While Jimmy Page turned his amp up to 11 with Zeppelin, McCarty and Dreja went another, softer direction - first with a project called Together (several of their songs appear on the "Little Games Sessions and More" CD, so they may have been recorded before The Yardbirds morphed into LZ). They later teamed up with former Nashville Teens keyboardist John Hawken and Keith's younger sister Jane to form the classical and folk-influenced first version of Renaissance...before all the personnel changed and Annie Haslam joined. When McCarty, Jane Relf and Hawken wanted to make some music together in the mid-70s, they had to reunite under the name Illusion, as the Haslam-led Renaissance now had that name and were doing quite well for themselves.

PostPosted:Tue Feb 27, 2007 18:24 pm
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
brandy Post subject:
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

Quote:
It's pretty hard to get into a band if you don't like the lead singer. Plant's singing (banshee wailing?) just doesn't appeal to me at all.

Agreed, Dennis. That will stop a potential fan dead in his tracks faster than any other facet of a band.

That probably has something to do with I like "Hollies Sing Dylan/Words and Music by Bob Dylan" so much!

Which reminds me...there was a great CD released in the early 90s called I Shall Be Unreleased, which featured covers of Dylan songs released before Dylan put his own versions out. The Hollies are represented by "Quit Your Lowdown Ways"; there are also covers by Ron Wood, Clapton, Rod Stewart, Manfred Mann (of course!), Joan Baez and even the Raiders! Worth checking out on Amazon, etc.

PostPosted:Tue Feb 27, 2007 18:43 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
SpartyScott Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Dennis wrote:

And what about The Zombies, currently touring with just Colin Blunstone and Rod Argent from the original lineup. Is that any more legit? I mean, it's too much to ask for a currently performing act from the 1960s to have more than one or two original members. It's all about the music and the songs anyway really. But the bottom line is you have to like what you hear. Regarding the current version of The Yardbirds, I do.

Well, to me, Blunstone and Argent always were The Zombies, since those two did all the singing (I think) and of course Rod was the lead musician of the group.

That would have been something like The Hollies if Graham had Tony's skill and so had also been lead guitarist and Allan & Graham performed today as "The Hollies" with a bunch of pickup musicians. The public would have accepted that just fine, I think - legal issues of the name aside.
PostPosted:Tue Feb 27, 2007 18:43 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

SpartyScott wrote:
Dennis wrote:

Well, to me, Blunstone and Argent always were The Zombies, since those two did all the singing (I think) and of course Rod was the lead musician of the group.

That would have been something like The Hollies if Graham had Tony's skill and so had also been lead guitarist and Allan & Graham performed today as "The Hollies" with a bunch of pickup musicians. The public would have accepted that just fine, I think - legal issues of the name aside.

It goes back to when Allan Clarke first exited The Hollies. Bobby Elliott said that Clarke's pals outside the band were telling him he WAS The Hollies. This led him to leave, coupled with his jealously regarding Nash's American success. I've never thought Clarke was the only member that mattered. I think their catalog, when delved into further than just the hits, proves that point over and over again.

I don't think it's fair to say that other members of a band don't count. It's just that within a band some members prefer their contributions to be less obvious. Chris White co-wrote a number of Zombies songs and was very much involved in the creative side of the group from what I gather, so I think he is just as important as Blunstone and Argent. The Zombies' harmonies sound like more than 2 people; White must have sung on their records too.
PostPosted:Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:17 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Gee Post subject: Musical Zombies....
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Chris White was vitally important to The Zombies...and also to the band Argent !
Chris wrote MANY Zombies songs...and later co-wrote classics with Rod Argent for Argent.
PostPosted:Wed Feb 28, 2007 14:15 pm

Last edited by Gee on Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:36 am; edited 1 time in total
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

It's funny sometimes when you attend a concert featuring a vintage band. Often times there are more 20-somethings in the audience than anything else. The younger crowd apparently digs digging into the musical past. Good for them!
PostPosted:Wed Feb 28, 2007 16:14 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
brandy Post subject:
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

This just in from their entry in Wikipedia...

"The good news for Zombies fans is that all of the surviving members of the band have announced that they will tour in 2008 to mark the 40th anniversary of Odessey & Oracle."

Ditto on Geoff's remarks about the importance of Chris White's contributions to the Zombies and Argent. Rod would have had to do a LOT more songwriting for the Zombies without Chris's composing abilities.

The Hollies once aproached the Zombies about either managing or producing them (I've forgotten which), but nothing ever came of it.

PostPosted:Wed Feb 28, 2007 22:12 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Elevated Observation
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Page 1 of 2