The Hollies Forum Index » Searchin' » Hollies In 1974
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
MichealC Post subject: Hollies In 1974
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

A question for Geoff really...

What were The Hollies up to between Clarkey's re-joining and the release of Another Night?

The reason I ask is I consider Hollies (1974) to be one of the very best Hollies albums, possibly the most consistent album they put out. Also to my mind, it is the last great Hollies album. The singles at the time also seemed to have a certain fire to them. Unfortunately, this time seems to be badly documented in terms of live material and TV. Did they tour?

I think it's a pity that Another Night seemed to take over and they forgot the old rock and roll sound of 1974. Personally, I'd love to have Don't Let Me Down on TV or the Live Hits album rather than Another Night.

It just seems to me that the band really peaked with his album, remember Clarke said that The Air That I Breathe was the ultimate and everything afterwards a few per cent less.

Michael
PostPosted:Wed Feb 21, 2007 15:24 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Gee Post subject: "Post 1974 Album..."
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

The Hollies were quite busy at that time...
PostPosted:Wed Feb 21, 2007 16:59 pm

Last edited by Gee on Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:48 am; edited 1 time in total
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
James Towill Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Great synopsis of the period, Geoff. And what a record Hello Lady Goodbye is - deserved to be an 'A-side' in my opinion.

PostPosted:Wed Feb 21, 2007 18:41 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

It seems to me that the reunion with Clarke was half-baked at best. What happened? There should have been MAJOR tours of several countries. Cabaret dates? No LP material? What were they thinking? They had another worldwide hit with "The Air.." and yet...no capitalizing on it. US Epic put out a promotional poster touting Clarke's return, but there was no US tour at all. The single went to No. 6, the LP #28. Not exactly flops. The New York and L.A. shows in 1975 were nice, but too late. The moment had passed. Crying or Very sad
PostPosted:Thu Feb 22, 2007 17:36 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Regarding "Son of a Rotten Gambler", "Hello Lady Goodbye", and "Boulder to Birmingham". All classy tunes. Maybe if the glam thing hadn't been going on at the time, they would have been hits.
PostPosted:Thu Feb 22, 2007 17:44 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
James Towill Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

It seems that some bewildering decisions were made back then!

Dennis wrote:
It seems to me that the reunion with Clarke was half-baked at best. What happened? There should have been MAJOR tours of several countries. Cabaret dates? No LP material? What were they thinking? They had another worldwide hit with "The Air.." and yet...no capitalizing on it. US Epic put out a promotional poster touting Clarke's return, but there was no US tour at all. The single went to No. 6, the LP #28. Not exactly flops. The New York and L.A. shows in 1975 were nice, but too late. The moment had passed. Crying or Very sad

PostPosted:Thu Feb 22, 2007 21:52 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
MichealC Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Thanks for the post, Geoff.

AIR being a hit must have been like a second chance from above to conquer America. Another hit, Clarkey back, they could still have captalised on LCW. Surely, any remotely lucky group would have got a tour on the back of that.

How can you not capatlise on or sell tickets to see a group that have had a dozen top 40 hits, and are just having yet another big single and album?

Michael
PostPosted:Sat Feb 24, 2007 14:10 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
holliesfan Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

MichealC wrote:
Thanks for the post, Geoff.

AIR being a hit must have been like a second chance from above to conquer America. Another hit, Clarkey back, they could still have captalised on LCW. Surely, any remotely lucky group would have got a tour on the back of that.

How can you not capatlise on or sell tickets to see a group that have had a dozen top 40 hits, and are just having yet another big single and album?

Hi Michael....This has been the age old question for ALL Hollies fans alike. You couldn't have said it better.
PostPosted:Sat Feb 24, 2007 15:14 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
MichealC Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Americans, generally, must not have had a clue who The Hollies actually where despite all the hits. Pre- MTV, I guess.

There is a comment about their '72 tour to the effect, "Turns out they can actually play their own instruments." Even the rock press must have seen them as some faceless, manufactured boyband.

Michael
PostPosted:Sat Feb 24, 2007 16:27 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
holliesfan Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Does anyone know who handled the Hollies at that time? I believe an artist's future is many times determined by how ambitious, creative, and forward thinking their management team is. I somehow recall the Hollies being linked to Monarch Entertainment or something similar to that name. Anyone have a clue?
PostPosted:Sat Feb 24, 2007 16:42 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

MichealC wrote:
Americans, generally, must not have had a clue who The Hollies actually where despite all the hits. Pre- MTV, I guess.

There is a comment about their '72 tour to the effect, "Turns out they can actually play their own instruments." Even the rock press must have seen them as some faceless, manufactured boyband.

Michael

It's no wonder The Monkees were so popular in '66-7; they were on TV every week, showcasing brand new hits! Exposure for bands in the early '70s was not what it became later on. Bands simply had to tour. Those that were lazy about touring Crying or Very sad paid a price when it came to popularity and longevity. The Hollies, having had a major blow when Nash departed, took baby steps when it came to promoting themselves. In 1970 they supposedly did some shows on the East Coast of the US, but to this day I know next to nothing about that trip. The 1972-3 tour & TV spots (In Concert, The Midnight Special) helped, but it is crucial to stay in the public eye in order to make any real impact. It is baffling to me as to why they dropped the ball in 1974. The band..."took a break"....from what? They should have had a US tour planned immediately. Those tunes on "Hollies" ('74) would have been dynamite in a live setting, and a perfect opportunity to show how good their LP material was at that time. Absolutely unbelievable that the reunion was handled so nonchalantly.
PostPosted:Sat Feb 24, 2007 22:17 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Searchin'
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic

Page 1 of 1