graphic
Goto page 1, 2  Next
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Write On » What is your favourite Hollies period?
What is your favourite Hollies period?
60's
52%
 52%  [ 23 ]
70's
34%
 34%  [ 15 ]
80's
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
90's
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
New Millennium Hollies
9%
 9%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 44
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Ro-Robert Post subject: What is your favourite Hollies period?
Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar

Hello all,

I was just wondering which Hollies period you like best.

Ro-Robert
PostPosted:Mon Feb 19, 2007 22:16 pm
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
James Towill Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

I'd have to say that for a decade it's the '70's overall. Generally '66 to '83 is my favourite period, and in particular I like the Hollies with Sylvester more than with Nash.

PostPosted:Mon Feb 19, 2007 22:27 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Anthony Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Hi Ro Robert,
I just loved the 70's, Too Young to Be Married was being played all the time on the radio, I got my first Hollies LP, Greatest Hits Volume 1, Don't Get Sunburnt the Australian special was on the TV. I saw the Hollies twice in concert 75 & 76.
You could find new Hollies records in the shops every year or so.
I thought Terry Sylvester was great. When the Hollies did tour they were in the papers.
If I'm honest I was not as keen on some of the bands later LP's from the 70's, a bit too slow.
The band did some great Rock and Roll in the 70's. LCW, Daddy Don't Mind,
Curly Billy. The Hollies 1974 Album is my all time favourite Hoolies LP.
I could have just said the 70's but these are a few reasons why.
Thanks,
Anthony

PostPosted:Mon Feb 19, 2007 22:40 pm
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Ro-Robert Post subject:
Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar

I was born in 1969 and when I was about 11 years old I started listening to Beatles music. Other sixties music was hardly played on the radio in Holland. I taped some songs which sounded like Beatles, but later found out they were not by the Beatles, but by Gerry and the Pacemakers, Herman's Hermits and... The Hollies.

I remember Hilversum 3 organized to play the best 100 songs of a year on Saturday night on this most popular radiostation of Holland in the early eighties. The show started at 0.00 to 7.00 in the morning. First year was 1965. I was allowed to stay up all night and tried to stay awake to tape everything on 60 minute tapes. This time the DJ's told stories about the artists. It opened my eyes and ears to more sixties music artists. The Hollies soon became my favourite band of all.

The seventies have been a black hole in music history to me for a long time. I was too young at that time to experience seventies music and in the eighties seventies music was simple disco and ABBA to me. In the nineties I started to appreciate seventies music and also the Hollies' seventies songs much more.

Although I really like 70's Hollies, 60's Hollies are the most favourite to me,

Ro-Robert
PostPosted:Mon Feb 19, 2007 23:04 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Gee Post subject: Best era....?
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

As a sophisticated performing outfit...the Seventies would obviously be hard to top...
But many of you voting on this probably missed the swinging Sixties...when as Allan Clarke remarked "We were never off T.V."...true too !

It's the Sixties for me.....But ONLY JUST.....!!!
PostPosted:Mon Feb 19, 2007 23:06 pm

Last edited by Gee on Thu May 27, 2010 12:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Vrinda Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

You took the words right out of my mouth, Geoff! To have been there when it was all starting, not even realizing that you were witnessing something big happening ... I wish I could have seen the young Hollies rocking around Manchester and the Cavern Club, and wowing audiences on Shindig and Hullabaloo in the U.S. The '60s was a golden era for music, and the following decades seem like a letdown to me.

Though they turned out some great tunes in the seventies, I cast my vote for the Hollies' first decade, when all the current music was original, invigorating, transcending, and memorable, and these guys were just at the start of establishing themselves as the great band they are. Very Happy
PostPosted:Tue Feb 20, 2007 0:20 am
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
snowflake Post subject:
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

This really is a tough question to answer! I voted for the 60's, only because that's when I first heard them. But I loved the 70's as well; they really grew into their roles as songwriters and musicians during that period.

PostPosted:Tue Feb 20, 2007 14:41 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
John Truman Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

It's the 60's for me!

I was a teenager back then and I remember there were lots of groups just starting off. Some didn't last too long. Some did. The Hollies shone out over and above the others and from back then I've followed them for well over 40 years.

Don't get me wrong. I've thoroughly enjoyed all the other decades but I had to make a choice, and it was the 60's because that's when it all started and I was there!

PostPosted:Tue Feb 20, 2007 17:04 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Susie Hewett Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

I love all the different versions/periods of The Hollies but my favourite period was and always will be the 70's.

Susie

PostPosted:Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:43 am
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Knut Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

I tend to go with Geoff, and vote for the 60's, since that is the period the foundation was built, and the Hollies became my favourite group. And the late 60's He ain't heavy beats the 70's song The air that I breathe by a few points, although both are among the best songs ever recorded. Concert-wise is has to be the 80's in fact. Difficult, isn't it? And to make it all even more complicated, I have never been as active a fan as in this millenium.

Would you believe the Hollies had power to stay by evolution of their style from Buddy Holly ? That's for certain because they follow what goes around, write on and go out on the road. They did it then, they do it now - please do it always.
PostPosted:Fri Feb 23, 2007 6:28 am
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

I don't particularly like to favor the '60s over the '70s when it comes to The Hollies, mainly because, although I first heard the band in 1965 when "I'm Alive" hit Los Angeles radio, I was first and foremost a Beatles fan throughout the 60s. By 1970 when they were no more, I needed a new "favorite" band. That's when The Hollies took over for me. I then began buying their albums (after previously only buying their hit singles) and really got to know them better. And the 1972 concert was the clincher. The Hollies have remained my favorite group ever since.
PostPosted:Sat Feb 24, 2007 5:32 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
phoobingcamel Post subject:
Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar

This was such a hard poll to answer. I love the 60's period because of the raw power but then 70's period spawned so many great songs with the addition of Terry. However, the Hollies that I really know best is the 90's period and it was during this period that my love for the band was really cemented and also when I started seeing them live. The recordings, albeit few, showed so much potential and I have many fond memories of the band from this period, so I picked the 90's

PostPosted:Mon Feb 26, 2007 1:08 am
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Yahoo Messenger Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Hope2005 Post subject:
Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar

60's got my vote, I like their work best with Graham, he and Allan sang so well together.

PostPosted:Fri Mar 09, 2007 18:34 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Lou Post subject:
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

Thats a toughy. Shocked

Each era has so many strong points and
so much happening during those eras.

If I had a time machine , I would truly
love to go and hear the band in all their
incarnations , with quite possibly the
Terry Sylvester era Hollies getting the most visits.

But since time machines aren't available (yet) ,
I would be content to see/hear a Hollies concert
right now in their current outstanding lineup.

And that's no Time Machine Jive. Wink

PostPosted:Fri May 11, 2007 19:32 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
an Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Hi,

Thanks to 'the '00' line up' I started to listen to the older Hollies songs and became a 'new' Hollies fan. The passed years I bought different Hollies CD's/DVD's and enjoy listening/watching.
Of course I have my favorite songs but I have no favorite Hollies period, like most of you, longtime fans, have. I am interested in the all 'Hollies Story of almost 45 years'. One day I listen to their 60s songs, the other day the 70s or 80s songs. And I still listen to Staying Power.
In my opinion every band member, past or present, is an important part of that Story. And that's why the Hollies Story is so special and goes on...

An
PostPosted:Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:44 am
graphic
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Write On
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic