graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Elevated Observation » Denis Payton
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
holliesfan Post subject: Denis Payton
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Has anyone heard about the passing of DC5 member Denis Payton? I hope it's not true. It would be sad since the band was just nominated for the R&R Hall of Fame.
PostPosted:Wed Dec 20, 2006 11:57 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
John Truman Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

I'm afraid it's true, Holliesfan.

This is from the BBC website:

"Dave Clark Five star Payton dies

Payton was born in Walthamstow, east London in 1943
Musician Denis Payton, a founder member of rock group the Dave Clark Five, has died of cancer at the age of 63.
Payton, who played saxophone, harmonica and guitar for the popular 1960s band, had been ill for some time.

In a statement, Clark called Payton "a very dear friend who I've known since we were teenagers".

"Denis was extremely brave and not afraid of death. He had an amazing philosophy on life and will be greatly missed by me and all who knew him."

Payton's death comes just weeks after it was announced that the Dave Clark Five had been nominated for induction to the 2007 US Rock 'n' Roll Hall Of Fame.

'British Invasion'

Clark said his former colleague, who died in Bournemouth, Dorset, had been "thrilled" by the citation. "He said, 'I know I won't be around but it was an amazing part of my life that I am very proud of.'"

One of the first English groups to tour America, the Dave Clark Five spearheaded the "British Invasion" of the 1960s.

The band sold over 100 million records and enjoyed 30 hit singles worldwide before breaking up in the 1970s.

Their hits include Glad All Over, Bits And Pieces and Over And Over."

PostPosted:Wed Dec 20, 2006 12:33 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Vrinda Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

So sad. Rest in peace, Denis. Crying or Very sad

The part that choked me up was when he said that he knew he would not be around for the induction ceremony.
PostPosted:Wed Feb 14, 2007 23:57 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
holliesfan Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Vrinda wrote:
So sad. Rest in peace, Denis. Crying or Very sad

The part that choked me up was when he said that he knew he would not be around for the induction ceremony.

It's a crying shame they weren't inducted... Sad. Like the Hollies, the good ones seemed to be continually overlooked and in some cases forgotten by the key stakeholders at the R&R Hall Of Fame. It's a sad day when the likes of the Funkadelics get in.... Rolling Eyes
PostPosted:Thu Feb 15, 2007 1:10 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Vrinda Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

The R&R Hall of Fame lost credibility when Janis Joplin and Frank Zappa got in. No offense to any of their fans if they're on here, but all Janis did was sream, and Frank thrived on shock value and bizarre stage antics. Evil or Very Mad

How is it that people like that can get in, but the Hollies don't? Confused
PostPosted:Thu Feb 15, 2007 17:08 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Gee Post subject: The Dave Clark Five...and Denis Payton
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

The DC5 were one of the most underrated bands in pop music history....derided by many and dismissed as talentless...they were in fact one of the most talented bands in the beat boom era. Mike Smith ( now sadly left paralyised like the late Chris Reeves, after a freak accident a few years back) had a very distinctive voice and was a good Organist/Pianist and songwriter...while Guitarist Lenny Davidson also had a fine singing voice and was a first rate guitarist.Rick Huxley was a powerful Bassist (check out "Concentration Baby" or "Maze of Love").
PostPosted:Thu Feb 15, 2007 23:59 pm

Last edited by Gee on Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
SheLenka Post subject:
Banjo

Banjo

Thanks again, Geoff, for your valuable information.
My favourite by DC5 is "Because".

If anybody cares to see how Mike Smith is doing these days, have a look at http://www.mikesmith1964.com - very sad story but he's struggling hard to live the best he can, which is admirable.

There was a Mike Smith Benefit concert in NY in the summer of 2005 with the Zombies, and Peter and Gordon getting together for the first time in several decades. There was a DVD promised, but no word of it so far.
PostPosted:Fri Feb 16, 2007 7:00 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Vrinda Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

There's even an address on that website where you can send Mike a card. I think he would appreciate that!

I dislike how talented people get a lot of flack for doing what they do. The DC5 didn't start any controversies, were not responsible for any wrongdoings, yet they were criticized for doing what they do best ... making wonderful music. If Dave Clark was not as puchy and did have the high expectations of those around him, then we would not be writing about them here, and they would not have made it into the R&R Hall of Fame. Just like the Hollies, the Dave Clark Five set a high standard of excellence for themselves, which I wish more singers and bands today would do.
PostPosted:Fri Feb 16, 2007 16:47 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Gee Post subject: No Dave Clark Five.....Because...?
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

One of the BIGGEST problems re the "unavailability" of Classic albums by The DC5 is "Because".... of Mr. Dave Clark himself !
PostPosted:Wed Feb 21, 2007 23:34 pm

Last edited by Gee on Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:51 am; edited 1 time in total
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
holliesfan Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Geoff - Sad to say the DC5 were nominated but never inducted into the RRHOF... Sad Had they been inducted it may have at least paved the way for the Hollies to be "considered".
PostPosted:Thu Feb 22, 2007 1:31 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Gee Post subject: Hall of Fame...?
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Thanks for the info....ah well, such is life !
A great pity tho' when you consider how many records The DC5,Hollies etc have sold...!!!
PostPosted:Thu Feb 22, 2007 9:34 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
holliesfan Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

I believe the DC5's influence on American music was greater, but for shear overall "Staying Power" the Hollies can't be touched.
PostPosted:Thu Feb 22, 2007 11:48 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Vrinda Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

If the DC5 made it that far, then there's a chance they could be up for induction next time. I wish we could voice our opinion to the R&RHOF somehow, but they don't have a policy involving fan feedback.
PostPosted:Thu Feb 22, 2007 14:51 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Elevated Observation
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic

Page 1 of 1