The Hollies Forum Index » Searchin' » The Hollies on Ed Sullivan
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Shells2907 Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

But Gordon...

The Beatles went to the US and THEY managed an appearance... I'm sure they were just as heavily committed or more Question

Shells
The Queen of Scottish Knits
xxx
PostPosted:Tue Mar 02, 2004 18:45 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Anthony Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

The Beatles were a very special group, I saw an interview with Neil Aspinall and he said how they would go on tour make a new album, do the TV stuff and then make a movie. The fab 4 gave us great value and thats why they are the greatest by a mile. They knew how to sell themselves and did it so well.
The Hollies were very funny, I've heard them do a Christmas greeting on record for their fans in Germany and believe me it's real funny stuff, say happy christmas in German, and one would say "Happy Christmas in German" Any way it's a pity the Hollies were not on Ed's show but they did make it on a few others thank God.

PostPosted:Tue Mar 02, 2004 21:19 pm
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Shells2907 Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

I remember a few years ago, the Hollies helped spring a special Christmas surprise for a disabled Hollies fan. It was for a programme called Noel's Christmas crackers...

Noel Edmunds arranged special surprises for people at Christmas... The guy the Hollies surprised came home to find a Juke Box playing He Ain't Heavy and was overcome.... THEN the juke box stopped playing but the Hollies were still singing... OUT IN THE RAIN IN THE GARDEN... on a specially constructed stage... with all the neighbours sitting with umbrella's watching.... I've still got the recording of the show, my friend gave me... we spent many a day sobbing our hearts out cos it was soo nice....

I wish they'd come and play in MY garden... I'd even feed them! Laughing

Shells
The Queen of Scottish Knits
xxx
PostPosted:Tue Mar 02, 2004 22:17 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Vrinda Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Quote:
The Beatles were a very special group, I saw an interview with Neil Aspinall and he said how they would go on tour make a new album, do the TV stuff and then make a movie. The fab 4 gave us great value and thats why they are the greatest by a mile. They knew how to sell themselves and did it so well.
The Hollies were very funny, I've heard them do a Christmas greeting on record for their fans in Germany and believe me it's real funny stuff, say happy christmas in German, and one would say "Happy Christmas in German" Any way it's a pity the Hollies were not on Ed's show but they did make it on a few others thank God.

Anthony, I should point out one very crucial thing: The Beatles were signed to do the Ed Sullivan Show a few months before they arrived in the U.S. Their coming to the U.S. was based only on the prerequisite that they had to have a #1 hit here, otherwise they would not come, hence the huge publicity campaign for "I Want to Hold You Hand." The story goes that Mike Wallace, an American journalist, was working for CBS News in London, and had heard of the Beatles, and asked legendary newsman Walter Cronkite in the U.S. to do a story on them for the CBS Evening News in the U.S. He told Walter that the Beatles were becoming big and were setting the world on fire (correct choice of words!). He did, Ed Sullivan saw it, and asked Walter about the Beatles and how to get them on his show. Walter got Ed in touch with the Beatles' management, the deal was made, and the rest, as they say, is history. Their appearance on Ed Sullivan wasn't a spur of the moment thing. It was the result of many people recommending the Beatles through word-of-mouth and Ed Sullivan's producers making that crucial approach that changed music history.

I wish the same could have happened for the Hollies. They would have been a smash on Ed's show!
PostPosted:Wed Aug 29, 2007 23:02 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Yes. it is still a mystery why The Hollies failed to get on The Ed Sullivan Show. I would venture to guess that it all boiled down to a management blunder. Nearly every major group from the US and UK was on that show. The Hollies should have had that exposure. The US shows I know they were on are: Shindig, Hullaballoo, The Red Skelton Show, Upbeat (from Cleveland, Ohio), The Mike Douglas Show, The Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour, Hollywood Palace, In Concert, Midnight Special, The Merv Griffin Show, American Bandstand.
PostPosted:Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:23 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Vrinda Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Now if they could just put out a DVD compliation of all these performances, we'd all be happy! Very Happy

I've seen the some of the Shindig, Hullaballoo, and Smothers Brothers appearances on YouTube, but I'd like to see the American Bandstand appearance. What is ironic is that the Beatles were never on Bandstand, save for a pretaped telephone call they made to Dick Clark that was played during an appearance on the show by thre Beach Boys in 1964. Paul McCartney even said in an interview before the Beatles' first U.S. tour that he thought they'd be more comfortable appearing on Bandstand rather than Sullivan. Fate is a strange thing, indeed!
Wink
PostPosted:Thu Aug 30, 2007 14:14 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Vrinda wrote:
Now if they could just put out a DVD compliation of all these performances, we'd all be happy! Very Happy

I've seen the some of the Shindig, Hullaballoo, and Smothers Brothers appearances on YouTube, but I'd like to see the American Bandstand appearance. What is ironic is that the Beatles were never on Bandstand, save for a pretaped telephone call they made to Dick Clark that was played during an appearance on the show by thre Beach Boys in 1964. Paul McCartney even said in an interview before the Beatles' first U.S. tour that he thought they'd be more comfortable appearing on Bandstand rather than Sullivan. Fate is a strange thing, indeed!
Wink

The only appearance by The Hollies on American Bandstand that I'm certain of is the one they made in 1983 when Nash was with them, miming their US Top 30 hit "Stop In The Name of Love" and its followup (which crashed and burned chart-wise) "Casualty". There was a bit of a chat with the band. Dick Clark asked Clarke (pointing at Nash) "Were you mad when he left?" Clarke said, "Yeah". Then Clark offered the same question to Elliott (about Clarke), to which he replied, "No, it was a relief"!
Surprised
PostPosted:Fri Aug 31, 2007 1:42 am
graphic
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Searchin'
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic