graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Out On The Road » some highlights, rarities
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
snowflake Post subject:
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

Thanks for that set list, Dennis. Am I correct in assuming that no recordings (either audio or video) exist of complete Rickfors/Hollies concerts? It must have been an awesome show. Amazing Grace sung a cappella and Only Love Can Break Your Heart by Tony -- wow!

Mikael's voice seems to have a totally different range than Allan's, so how did the Hollies work his voice in to the three-part harmony? It blends so seamlessly on the recordings that I can't tell -- did he take Allan's parts or did Terry and Tony have to rework their parts as well?

PostPosted:Mon Mar 05, 2007 15:01 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
MichealC Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

There is a possibility that Wolfgang's Vault has a recording of the Berkley, CA show. Somebody has to look into this.
PostPosted:Mon Mar 05, 2007 15:50 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
SpartyScott Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

MichealC wrote:
There is a possibility that Wolfgang's Vault has a recording of the Berkley, CA show. Somebody has to look into this.

I'd pay a hundred bucks for a legit, non-bootleg DVD recording of that show with proper sound (i.e., professionally recorded and mixed, not something sloppy). And for a concert audio only of the show, I'd fork over twenty five dollars or more for a CD.
PostPosted:Mon Mar 05, 2007 16:23 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Gee Post subject: Marrakesh Express...
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

The Hollies DID like "Marrakesh Express" according to Bobby Elliott, and were quite happy to record it.......and indeed then began recording the track at Abbey Road on 2 April 1968 when a "backing track" was laid down....Producer Ron Richards, apparently, was the one who was not too keen on the song thinking it was not commercial enough for the group...
If this is so, Ron would have had a valid point in that both "King Midas" and the "Butterfly" album had been relatively unsuccessful at that time (although of course later recognised as top material...in retropsect...)
PostPosted:Mon Mar 05, 2007 16:53 pm

Last edited by Gee on Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:22 am; edited 1 time in total
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
SpartyScott Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

On a U.S. television show promoting the summer '83 tour and the What Goes Around album, Allan and Graham were talking about Graham's initial departure. Allan says something about how Graham's songs with the strange lyrics (Allan then quotes "blowing smoke rings from the corners of my mouth' humorously) and how that wouldn't have worked for The Hollies. Graham replies in a kind of wistful voice that they could have made it work and done well.

This might have been an MTV interview - you know, back when MTV was actually about music.

I've got that interview on a VHS tape somewhere in the basement. I'll have to dig it out sometime and transcribe it.
PostPosted:Mon Mar 05, 2007 18:43 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

MichealC wrote:

Absolutely.
PostPosted:Mon Mar 05, 2007 19:09 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject: Re: Marrakesh Express...
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Geoff coles wrote:
Re Dennis earlier comment about The Hollies being unlikely to have sung"Marrakesh Express" in concert in 1983.......

The Hollies DID like "Marrakesh Express" according to Bobby Elliott, and were quite happy to record it.......and indeed then began recording the track at Abbey Road on 2 April 1968 when a "backing track" was laid down....Producer Ron Richards, apparently, was the one who was not too keen on the song thinking it was not commercial enough for the group...
If this is so, Ron would have had a valid point in that both "King Midas" and the "Butterfly" album had been relatively unsuccessful at that time (although of course later recognised as top material...in retropsect...)

During an interview for Australian fanzine "Look What Wev'e Got" Bobby Elliott was asked if any vocals were ever recorded for this abandoned Hollies version....Bobby replied: "....Possibly Graham did a guide vocal....", which the fanzine reported quite accurately.......BUT this seems to have then "over time" duly become: "Graham DID do a guide vocal" (which is of course NOT what Bobby said at all....! )

I can tell you that during work re "Long Road Home" Project co-ordinator for EMI Tim Chacksfield made a point of seeking this mythical Hollies version out....and told me it was just "an unrecognisable backing track minus any guide vocal...." Tim added had it been in any fit state he WOULD certainly have put it on the box set !

It would not have beeen beyond The Hollies to have sung this famous song live in 1983 (when they did do two CSN songs of Graham's in their set....)

As I said I know Bobby Elliott rated the song highly...and the "story" of The Hollies "throwing Nash's songs back at him"......is one that Allan, Tony & Bobby DON'T ever remember doing so I have also read....(but then, remember, they were also "supposed" to have not spoken to Nash for Ten years either...which is utter nonsense !)

Tony clashed with Graham regarding material before, Tony wishing to do it clean and straight with commercial material, Nash wanting to stretch the canvass, so to speak. Think what you like, I still think "Marrakesh" is unsuitable as Hollies material, and would not have been right for the band. If it had been, the track would have been finished. That, and other things like "Our House" are too precious and twee-sounding to me.
PostPosted:Mon Mar 05, 2007 19:26 pm

Last edited by Dennis on Mon Mar 05, 2007 19:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Gee Post subject: Smoke rings....?
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Well, let's all Remember they quite happily DID sing:
"...Trippin'....Trippin' in the Sunshine...."! ("Wishyouawish" 1967)...
and... "...I have left my mind somewhere ..." ("All the World is Love" 1967)
plus, "...And I'm so High Up I touch the Sky..." ("Elevated Obseravations ?" 1967)
don't forget, "...Why do they want us to walk ...when we can fly...?" ("Wings" 1968)
PostPosted:Mon Mar 05, 2007 19:28 pm

Last edited by Gee on Thu May 27, 2010 9:29 am; edited 1 time in total
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Gee Post subject: Major Clashes...?
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

It was Nash who encouraged Tony to sing his "Pegasus" on "Butterfly"...
PostPosted:Mon Mar 05, 2007 20:04 pm

Last edited by Gee on Thu May 27, 2010 9:27 am; edited 2 times in total
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject: Re: Major Clashes...?
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Geoff coles wrote:
Tony Hicks has said he always got on VERY WELL with Graham...indeed Graham & Susan stayed at Tony & Jane's house a few years back during a vist, and of the 1983 "Reunion" Tony said he thoroughly enjoyed working with Graham once again and: "I would do it again anytme....." was quoted from Tony re that 1983 USA tour in a Hollies concert programme I have.
It was Nash who encouraged Tony to sing his "Pegasus" on "Butterfly"...so while Tony was the more commercially orientated member compared to Graham's desire to experiment it is just not true to say they "clashed" over material as if they could never agree on anything !, obviously they had their differing views...but Tony was very important in putting the "musical edge" to many of Nash's experimental ideas (just look at his superb work on both "Evolution" and "Butterfly" re guitar and banjo sounds etc...).

Remember too it was Tony Hicks who persuaded them to take their biggest "Experimental" gamble ever....in cutting a big ballard with full orchestra and chorus for a song HE spotted that even the publisher felt "Not right for The Hollies"....called "He Ain't Heavy...He's My Brother...." !!

Obviously for Nash the "Sing Dylan" idea of Tony's was his musical "Final straw" point to make the break and move on - Graham had quite happily "sang Dylan" before...as far back as 1966 ! (and indeed The Hollies took quite a bit of "critical flak" over that album at the time too....especially from some rather "snooty" Bob Dylan fans....as later again with "Buddy Holly" in 1980....!)....but remember Nash was unhappy about many things in his life at that point...but they were actually still songwriting together even in 1968 ("Do the best you Can","Open up your Eyes","Survival of the fittest"....etc), so I don't think there was ever any major "clashes" between Tony & Graham....Nash dedicated a song to Tony introducing him in the audience at a recent UK Crosby & Nash concert show....( and earlier,when Marie Holly gave Nash that "Alternate" version of Buddy singing "Peggy Sue Got Married" in 1993, Nash immediately thought of his old pals in The Hollies remember ?)

Was indeed "Marrakesh Express" any "less" typical of The Hollies than "He Ain't Heavy..." ?, just listen to Neil Diamond's or Righteous Bros...versions (well spotted Mr.Hicks ! )

You're comparing apples with oranges. It all boils down the fact that the Hollies DIDN'T agree to record Nash's material, and he left the band. It was the best thing that could have happened. I cannot imagine "Marrakesh..." as a Hollies track, and neither did the band.
Nash went away and took his wistful, lightweight material elsewhere. Just as well.

It is well-documented that Tony and Graham clashed over the types of songs the band should record. Anything to the contrary is just the soothing-over of old wounds with the passage of time. If they agreed so much all the time, as you imply, then Nash would have stayed with the band.
PostPosted:Mon Mar 05, 2007 20:29 pm

Last edited by Dennis on Mon Mar 05, 2007 20:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Gee Post subject: Unfinished songs....
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Re "Marrakesh Express" being left "unfinished" as it was not right for the Hollies....
again I must disagree here....is Schoolgirl", or "Samuel" "Not right" for The Hollies....? they were both left "unfinished".... for umpteen years !
PostPosted:Mon Mar 05, 2007 20:39 pm

Last edited by Gee on Mon Jan 04, 2010 19:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

I don't like "Marrakesh Express". Is it a crime?
PostPosted:Mon Mar 05, 2007 20:45 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Gee Post subject: Nash's Material...
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Yes ! . Laughing Laughing
PostPosted:Mon Mar 05, 2007 21:15 pm

Last edited by Gee on Thu May 27, 2010 9:28 am; edited 2 times in total
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Gee Post subject: crime...?
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

I am merely trying to explain that the song was "abandoned" for various reasons...some non musical, and that The group & Graham parted on quite amicable terms....hence thay are still friends to this day.
PostPosted:Mon Mar 05, 2007 21:22 pm

Last edited by Gee on Mon Jan 04, 2010 19:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
James Towill Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

I must admit, that whilst there were brilliant songs recorded when Nash was with the band, him leaving was the best thing that could have happened for both parties. Can you imagine him singing Heavy or Air first time round? He tries on the Reunion album and fails rather miserably. Great songs in the Sylvester lineup, much more mature, and some superb work from Graham both solo and in various configurations of CSN&Y.

PostPosted:Mon Mar 05, 2007 21:41 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Out On The Road
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Page 2 of 4