graphic
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Boys In The Band » Terry Sylvester Interview Part Two now on You Tube
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
John Truman Post subject: Terry Sylvester Interview Part Two now on You Tube
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Part Two of Terry's interview, starting from when Terry joined the Hollies in 1969 up to how The Air That I Breathe was chosen as a single.

Great interview, lots of clips and interesting stories. 9 minutes and 59 seconds in total.

PostPosted:Fri Feb 09, 2007 13:57 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
snowflake Post subject:
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

Thanks for letting us know, John. I just saw Part 1 a couple of days ago and so am really looking forward to Part 2.

PostPosted:Fri Feb 09, 2007 16:47 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Gotta say I was disappointed with this interview. Barely anything about the band's tours. Rickfors era passed over, except to say that on tour Terry sang lead on "Long Cool Woman", and was considered the lead singer of the song, since it was he who sang it when the song was hot. I wish he had elaborated more on that era, still the highlight during his tenure with the band. That was when the band had their biggest US hit single and LP.
PostPosted:Fri Feb 09, 2007 16:53 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Gee Post subject: Long Cool Woman...
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

While Terry sang "Long Cool Woman" during the "Rickfors" era it most cetainly was not regarded as "his song"...He is in fact NOT even on the original Hollies recording of the song...!
Much as I do rate the Rickfors version very highly....I think the Clarke/Hicks/Sylvester line up was much more recognisable as "The Hollies"
PostPosted:Fri Feb 09, 2007 17:58 pm

Last edited by Gee on Thu May 27, 2010 12:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
James Towill Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Nice interview, but appears heavily edited, hence Rickfors era passed over.

PostPosted:Fri Feb 09, 2007 18:27 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
MichealC Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

I'm inclined to agree with you Geoff. As much as I like the Rickfors stuff, most of the band's success at the time was due to the very much Allan Clarke* Long Cool Woman and Distant Light album.

Were it not for LCW I doubt Romany would have made it to even 86 in the American charts as it did. And their singles of the time didn't do very well all things considered.

*Clarke at one point definately said he considered it an Allan Clarke solo record and not a Hollies one.

Michael
PostPosted:Fri Feb 09, 2007 18:30 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

You got my vote guys.

PostPosted:Fri Feb 09, 2007 18:37 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject: Re: Long Cool Woman...
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Geoff coles wrote:
While Terry sang "Long Cool Woman" during the "Rickfors" era it most cetainly was not regarded as "his song"...He is in fact NOT even on the original Hollies recording of the song...!

The song was very much Allan Clarke's song...which Graham Nash duly points out introducing it on "Archive Alive" album as : "The song Allan wrote, played & Sang..."

While LCW may have been The Hollies biggest USA hit, it was not elsewhere with "He Ain't Heavy..." claiming that honour in the UK and 1965 UK Chart Topper "I'm Alive" was a hit in eleven countries...plus "Bus Stop" charting in 13 countries ( Chart Topping in both Sweden and Malaysia ), as opposed to LCW charting in nine countries,

I certainly don't regard the Rickfors Hollies period as the peak of the Terry Sylvester era...in chart terms they had some Eleven separate UK chart hits with the Clarke/Sylvester line up as oppsed to just One with Rickfors (plus a further 22 overseas hits)..they also recorded many more albums with the Clarke/Sylvester line up including the big selling "Hollies Live Hits" set.
I know The band themselves do not consider the "Rickfors era" to be the highpoint of their career...No UK Tour was ever undertaken...
With regard to music...yes certainly the "Rickfors" era produced some classic material...but sadly overall the Public at large much preferred the Clarke led line up
How one regards each "era" of the band's career is of course all a matter of individual taste.
Much as I do rate the Rickfors version very highly....I think the Clarke/Hicks/Sylvester line up was much more recognisable as "The Hollies"...as evidently the group must have too....as Allan Clarke was invited back into the band in the Summer of 1973....!

Geoff,
Did you watch the YouYube interview? Terry himself made those comments. On The Hollies biggest US tour ever, he sang lead on the song in concert and on TV appearances. He is the one who should rightly claim that "to all intents and purposes, I am the lead singer of "Long Cool Woman". I agree.
I am speaking from a strictly US perspective. The US is the biggest market for music in the world, bar none. It matters A LOT what happens here. Bands who acheive no success in this country are by and large considered flops. Name me one band who failed to get a hit record here that is considered great. Can't think of any? Neither can I.
I don't hear what you're saying, because my first experience seeing The Hollies live was with The Rickfors lineup, and it is still the one I compare the others to, and for this fan of 40+ years it is still the best. The Hollies rocked harder, tried harder, and made some extraordinarily artful recordings in the process. We were just lucky to experience this lineup when we did, and it's too bad nobody else did, apart from the fans in Australia for the tour there that followed the US jaunt.
I saw The Hollies lineups with Clarke/Sylvester ('75) and Clarke/Nash ('83) and those shows, while entertaining, offered little in the way of "wow" moments the way the ENTIRE show with Rickfors did. Mind-blowing it was. To this day, it tops my list of all-time favorite concerts of mine. As for being "recognizable", The Rickfors lineup retained the quality of The Hollies sound, only with a new, distinctive, and amazing lead vocalist and multi-instrumentalist. Mikael Rickfors' talents continue to astound me, and there is no way of getting around the fact that their recordings with him are among the most interesting and durable of all the Hollies' catalog. The "Romany" LP was listed on FM (yes, the stereo part of the radio dial) Billboard magazine playlists, meaning they were getting a "hip" reputation, something they yearned for. I still contend that if they had kept him in the band longer, they would have overcome the "oldies" tag that always plagued them, been taken more seriously by the rock community, and would have gone further from a musical versatility standpoint. Look how far they went during his 18-month tenure? The band just got impatient for another "hit" when they should have looked at the big picture and concentrated on making fine albums instead of always trying to make the Top 10. If this had happened, maybe we wouldn't have to constantly defend/explain ourselves for being Hollies fans, and the band would have a better standing in rock history. Like it or not, 1974 (the year after Rickfors' defection) was pretty much the end of the band as a commercial entity. So who is right?
Can't say that this subject hasn't polarized Hollies fans, but even that fact makes it all the more interesting.
PostPosted:Fri Feb 09, 2007 23:10 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Anthony Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

I thought it was a great interview. I thought in 10 minutes he covered his time well as a member of the Hollies. It was great to hear a Hollies talk fondly about the past.
Sadly I cringe at times when I've heard interviews with Allan Tony and Bobby when they say things like we got in Terry Sylvester and he could hit the notes, it's like they were not an important part of the groups history.
I love hearing these interviews and seeing the joy on Terry face talking about the Hollies. I can understand what was ment when Terry said in America he was the face of LCW.
Does anybody know if we can download these clips off You Tube and if so how?
I'm off to work soon, today I'll be leaving home with a smile on me face, thanks Terry you will always be a Hollie in my mind.
Hi Dennis I thought he covered the Rickfors years well, funny how different people see the same thing and see it so different. That's what I like about Hollies fan, we don't always see things the same, I would hate it if everything we saw we thought was wonderful.
Anthony

PostPosted:Sat Feb 10, 2007 0:52 am
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Gee Post subject: Long Cool Woman....
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

I certainly don't doubt Terry said that....
But considering (as Graham Nash pointed ot at Kings Head Park), it was composed by Allan Clarke...with Messrs Cook & Greenaway....recorded with "Clarkie" not only the ONLY voice on the recording...but also playing Lead Guitar and involved in producing the song...published by HIS "Timtobe" Music company....on an album he was featured lead singer on....with NO participation by Terry on the actual recording itself....
I Think Allan Clarke may have a right to lay "some claim" to the song...yes ?
PostPosted:Sat Feb 10, 2007 12:27 pm

Last edited by Gee on Thu May 27, 2010 12:51 pm; edited 2 times in total
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Gee Post subject: Great non USA BANDS....
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Re Non USA Artists....
The Shadows have sold a vast amount of records worldwide since 1960 even if no hits in the USA....
Status Quo are pretty big worldwide (still very big after having their first hit in 1967 )...and "Couldn't give a .... about the States" per Francis Rossi....! (his view...certainly NOT mine I would add !!)
PostPosted:Sat Feb 10, 2007 12:52 pm

Last edited by Gee on Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Gee Post subject: Mike Rickfors...
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

it's a matter of personal taste
PostPosted:Sat Feb 10, 2007 13:35 pm

Last edited by Gee on Thu May 27, 2010 12:51 pm; edited 2 times in total
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject: Re: Mike Rickfors...
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Geoff coles wrote:
On final point re Dennis comments, which I understand and Respect of course....

Obviously if one saw the Rickfors line up in concert first you will judge every version of the band against your first memory and impression....

In The Hollies case they had already had 18 Consecutive UK hits ( plus many worlwide hits) with Clarke/Nash, hit albums...many shows plus T.V. / Radio work....then a further 5 UK hits ( and more overseas hits ) with Clarke/Sylvester...plus four more albums...
Thus by 1971 The Hollies were a British...and Worldwide "Chart Institution" plus a "Classic" band....

All of this prior to Rickfors arrival, brief stint (less than two years...one UK Hit single, a few overseas hits...just one album issued at that time...)
Then Clarke returned...and more chart success with singles and albums worldwide followed....

Thus that "USA view" is a little like FIRST watching say George Lazenby as James Bond in the Bond film "O.H.M.S.S" (1969)....When the ex-model had a "one off" stab at taking over Sir Sean Connery's famous role...then judging all other Bond's per that one Lazenby film....(for such an inexperienced actor he actually had a pretty fair crack at the role and might have gone on....Cubby Broccoli actually DID want him to continue, at the time....), it's not unlike the Rickfors situation in some respects

But Connery returned ( for "Diamonds are Forever" ). ..then Roger Moore...etc (now, after some initial "fans fury"New Bond Daniel Craig has been a great success !!)

But if you had first seen George Lazenby...and enjoyed his version of the character...you might find the older Connery films looked "dated"...the Moore ones too "lightweight"....
There ARE James Bond fan club members who DO rate both George Lazenby and Timothy Dalton as their favorite Bonds...despite more common opinion going with Connery, Moore, Brosnan, and now Craig.....
We must,therefore, remember it is all a matter of personal taste...and quite often, who you saw first... for they are "Your" version aren't they ?

Since you mentioned it, I do think George Lazenby was the best James Bond. I find "On Her Majesty's Secret Service" to be the most fully-realized James Bond film of all. And it wasn't the first Bond film I saw. My opinion is shaped partly, I admit, due to his co-star, Diana Rigg. I happened to be a huge Avengers fan, but even there, I think Honor Blackman was the best Avengers girl. So, yes, everything boils down to personal taste/preference. You make valid points, but in the end, I would rather hear/see a video of the 1972 lineup of The Hollies than any other time. Runner up would have to be the 1966 German TV performance of "Look Through Any Window:/"Very Last Day"/"I Can't Let Go". Great stuff.
I just think that you and other Hollies fans downplay the Rickfors era simply because you didn't get to witness a concert first hand. So you really can't be a good judge of this. Yes, The Hollies had upteen hits before, etc. etc., but the thing is the band in 1972 was essentially a new band. They weren't trying to compete with their past, they were presenting themselves differently. Can you imagine... each member, except for Bobby, switched instruments after nearly EVERY song. It showed how versatile and talented they were. Bernie played keyboards and bass. Terry played rhythm guitar and marracas. Tony played lead guitar and bass. And Mikael played bass, lead guitar, harmonica, and congas. Mikael, Tony, and Terry traded lead vocalizing, creating more variety to their sound. The arrangements to many songs were changed, too, adding even more intrigue to the presentation. Plus we got to hear songs the band never recorded, such as Neil Young's "Only Love Can Break Your Heart" (and like the 1970 live cover of "Woodstock", their's was better than the original) and an accapella "Amazing Grace", with Rickfors holding a word sheet since he obviously wasn't sure of the lyrics. These things made the concert a unique and truly unforgettable experience. It's when bands challenge their audience and do unexpected things that a real sense of drama and excitement emerge. The Hollies live in 1972...unbeatable.
PostPosted:Sat Feb 10, 2007 18:22 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

My own personal opinion is that I feel had LCW not been a hit, then Rickfors would have lasted longer in the band, possibly another album, but I ultimately think that Clarke would have returned to the fold. The Hollies with Rickfors is a different beast really, much more American-sounding and picking material which I don't think they would have if Clarke was to sing them. Much more soulful and introspective. I would love to see a full video of the Rickfors lineup - I've only seen Long Dark Road which is jaw-dropping in its power and emotion. The Rickfors years also had the added benefit of bringing Terry and Tony to the fore a bit more, and likewise Bernie on keyboards.

As for Bond, I'd have to say that OHMSS definitely has the best story behind it and Lazenby really does it justice. Likewise, Timothy Dalton also portrayed Bond in an original no-nonsense fashion - shame he didn't do more.

PostPosted:Sat Feb 10, 2007 20:55 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Gee Post subject: Short lived stars...
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Re LCW we must remember the USA Hit came first...
PostPosted:Sat Feb 10, 2007 22:56 pm

Last edited by Gee on Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
graphic
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Boys In The Band
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic