graphic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Words and Music » New Hollies album on the way?
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
James Towill Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

The thing is, people must buy them otherwise Every Mistake Imaginable wouldn't continually put them out. When I go into a buget music shop over here, there's at least four or five different compilations on sale and quite frequently no genuine albums such as Dylan, Butterfly or For Certain Because...

I for one don't hold up much hope that this will be anything special having heard this news. Very sad Crying or Very sad

PostPosted:Tue Feb 27, 2007 19:37 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
hollies Post subject:

Site Admin

Why oh Why do people criticise something they know very little about.

To list 8 tracks from a double cd means there is an awful lot more to come. The final track listing has not been completely decided yet so please wait until you know the facts before going on about yet another compilation.

However, for Michael, "the business logic behind anthologising a band ad nauseum" is quite simple, EMI know full well that these compilations sell in large quantities, as James points out above, whilst the other albums do not. No brainer there then what the sensible commercial decision will be.

It has been said before and I suppose I will have to repeat it again, EMI do not put out records for the few "hardcore" fans. They are in business to make money and will put out what they think will sell the best and make them the most money.

I will post the full track listing as soon as it is finalised so please wait until it is out before complaining about it. You might be surprised - you might not.

I will not lock the thread at this time unless the unnecessary grumblings continue.

Hollies Forum
PostPosted:Tue Feb 27, 2007 22:45 pm

Last edited by hollies on Tue Feb 27, 2007 23:39 pm; edited 5 times in total
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
SpartyScott Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Rob, I hope that this doesn't count a "grumbling," but speaking for myself I can say past history is my guide for feeling the way I do.

Let's hope I'm wrong - I'd love to issue EMI a full apology.
PostPosted:Tue Feb 27, 2007 22:55 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

SpartyScott wrote:
MichealC wrote:
I'd love to know what the business logic behind anthologising a band ad nauseum is. For example, some big acts are very rarely have collections The Beatles for example (I guess their body of work is allowed to speak for itself) but with The Hollies it is endless. Is it the case that unless a "new" product is created and put on the market, The Hollies won't get ordered, won't get stocked on the store shelves etc.?

MichaelC, it's a true mystery. There is NO WAY that the sales of a Hollies compilation CD would be hurt by one or two old outtakes or concert performances.

And yet, time and time again we get another "greatest hits" package where the most unfamilair song to the general public is a Hey Willy or Gasoline Alley Bred. Hey EMI, we've already got those songs, so dump Sandy or Curly Billy and give us outtakes.

Is it that complicated?

The situation regarding Hollies "hits" compilations here in the US is even worse. There are a number of the band's best songs that STILL have not been issued on a US CD at all, such as "Hey Willy", "The Baby", "Son of A Rotten Gambler", and "Draggin' My Heels".
PostPosted:Wed Feb 28, 2007 3:46 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
MichealC Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

To clarify: I'm not grumbling, I'm just interested to know why basically re-packaging the same songs is so important. Rather than, say, keeping some Hollies Greatest Hits in print for a long time period.

Thanks for the response Rob.
PostPosted:Wed Feb 28, 2007 12:45 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Gee Post subject: Geatest Hits....and More ?
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

I can fully understand harcore fans wanting "Rarities" "out-takes", rare "live" recordings,"Alternate versions" etc....However, as Rob points out first and foremost The Hollies like "Beach Boys", "Stones","Who", "Kinks" etc are known the world over for their classic Hits...and any record company must cater for the wider general public thus we will always get these "Hits" compliations.
PostPosted:Wed Feb 28, 2007 13:39 pm

Last edited by Gee on Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:38 am; edited 1 time in total
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Anthony Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Hi all,
I have to agree with Rob, if I was looking at buying a cd of a group I would like to have the Hits, I know I have Police, Blondie, Dusty, Gerry & The Pacemakers as well as other greatest hits in my collection all with the songs I know..
Over the past 12 or so months I think we have been luck with the new Album Staying Power as well as the Dutch Collection DVD, I hear they have a cd with that too, I'm just happy to keep playing the DVD, over and over.
What I do find interesting with all these new cd's is the photo on the covers, I see this one has Graham Nash in the group, they must think he has great pulling power with the public, I think he is the best known Hollie.
Thanks

PostPosted:Wed Feb 28, 2007 21:46 pm
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
MichealC Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

CD One
1. Searchin'
2. Lucille
3. Memphis
4. Just One Look
5. We're Through
6. Nitty Gritty/Something's Got A Hold On Me
7. Too Much Monkey Business
8. It's In Her Kiss
9. I'm Alive
10. When I Come Home To You
11. Fortune Teller
12. Hard Hard Year
13. I've Got A Way Of My Own
14. I Am A Rock
15. Bus Stop
16. Tell Me To My Face
17. Clown
18. On a Carousel
19. Schoolgirl
20. Carrie Anne
21. Have You Ever Loved Somebody
22. You Need Love
CD Two
1. Heading For A Fall
2. Postcard
3. Step Inside
4. Away Away Away
5. Man With No Expression (Horses Through A Rainstorm) (1998 Digital Remaster)
6. Listen To Me
7. The Times They Are A Changin'
8. Just Like A Woman (1993 Digital Remaster)
9. Soldiers Dilemma
10. Gasoline Alley Bred
11. Little Girl
12. Lady Please
13. Long Cool Woman (In A Black Dress)
14. To Do With Love
15. Magic Woman Touch
16. The Air That I Breathe
17. Sandy (4th July, Asbury Park)
18. I'm Down
19. Star
20. Russian Roulette
21. Amnesty
22. Let Love Pass
An alternative ‘Best Of The Hollies', comprising hits and the best of the album tracks 1963 - 2006, with sleeve notes from drummer Bobby Elliott. Features many hidden gems not featured on previous 'Best Ofs'
Features the hits: I'm Alive Bus Stop Carrie Anne Listen To Me We're Through Just One Look On A Carousel The Air That I Breathe Searchin' Listen To Me Gasoline Alley Bred Long Cool Woman In A Black Dress Produced in association with The Hollies and management Booklet includes rare photos and sleeve notes from long serving drummer Bobby ElliottMastered at Abbey Road using digitally remastered recordings and many rare stereo versions.

(EMI Gold distributed by EMI)
PostPosted:Fri Mar 02, 2007 0:59 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Bonus Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Then there´s no need to discuss this "new cd" anymore. We´ve got it all, except the booklet...
PostPosted:Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:53 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
MichealC Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

I suppose it's an interesting "my first Hollies compliation".

I wonder if the Let Love Pass is the live version?
PostPosted:Fri Mar 02, 2007 15:40 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
SpartyScott Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

I think this albums's strength is that it would make a good companion to fans who pretty much only own the big box set and the greatest hits double set that included the Carl Wayne song. There are enough good album tracks in this new release not included on either of those recent releases to make this a worthwhile purchase - that is, if you don't already own the real albums (For Certarin Because, Butterfly, Another Night, Russian Roulette, In The Hollies Style, Evolution, etc).

Of course, the question is, how many fans loved the box set enough to want more Hollies material, yet don't like them enough to buy the old albums of original material?

Wow, talk about segmenting your market!
PostPosted:Fri Mar 02, 2007 16:10 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
MichealC Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Yeah, I think if you bought the boxset the albums would be your next logical move.
PostPosted:Fri Mar 02, 2007 16:14 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

No thanks to that, there's a host of other goodies out there to spend my money on.

PostPosted:Fri Mar 02, 2007 16:38 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

James Towill wrote:
No thanks to that, there's a host of other goodies out there to spend my money on.

I agree. The song selection is only slightly interesting. I wonder why The Hollies' rather limp take on "Fortune Teller" made the cut? The Rolling Stones do that one far more effectively.
PostPosted:Fri Mar 02, 2007 17:46 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

It does seem to be very biased towards the '60's with only 12 tracks from the '70's and only one track from the past 29 years! Starting to go over old ground again, but really... Rolling Eyes Laughing

Dennis wrote:
James Towill wrote:

I agree. The song selection is only slightly interesting. I wonder why The Hollies' rather limp take on "Fortune Teller" made the cut? The Rolling Stones do that one far more effectively.

PostPosted:Fri Mar 02, 2007 18:04 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Words and Music
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Page 2 of 4