graphic
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Words and Music » New Hollies album on the way?
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Knut Post subject: New Hollies album on the way?
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

German sixties and seventies based German popular music magazine Good times with well informed journalists, among them Uli Twelker . He has in the past written several extensive features about the Hollies, among them contributions to tour programmes and album liner notes. Good times comes up with a piece of news in issue 1/2007:

During a drumming show in Manchester in December, Bobby Elliott and Paul Weller (ex-Jam) talked about the latter's new songs written especially for the Hollies. This sounded very promising! Anyone who knows more about this?

Would you believe the Hollies had power to stay by evolution of their style from Buddy Holly ? That's for certain because they follow what goes around, write on and go out on the road. They did it then, they do it now - please do it always.
PostPosted:Sun Feb 04, 2007 6:28 am
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Gee Post subject: Bobby and Paul...
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

New recordings would be tremendous and The Current Hollies line up will go from strength to strength in my opinion.
I think Bobby and Paul are old friends, so it is an exciting possibility.
The Jam certainly had a red hot three piece sound....as did the Hollies of course.
PostPosted:Sun Feb 04, 2007 12:33 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Anthony Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Two records in a few years, gee that takes us back to the 60's and 70's when the Hollies recorded all the time.
I only wish they would record the new version of "Here I go again" that Peter has done in concert. I'm not a lover of changing songs about from how they were recorded, to me Just One Look from '83 was far too slow and I felt a bit boring, but "Here I go again" is fantastic.
Sadly I still have not seen Staying Power in the shops here, thank God for internet shopping.

PostPosted:Mon Feb 05, 2007 13:04 pm
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
DistantLight Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

I've read that, too. Sounds very interesting - could be a good combination and get the Hollies the media attention they'd need for another release!
PostPosted:Tue Feb 06, 2007 17:58 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
an Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

On the following site there is more information about a new Hollies CD :
release : 21 march 2007, title 'FINEST'.

I have no more information.

http://www.nl.bol.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/nl/-/EUR/BOL_DisplayCreatorPageInformation-Start;sid=5iXjv8oUpBXjMY_38GvdiCrMgNSwtWjO6tE=?BOL_ARTIST_ID=780076&Section=MUSIC

An
PostPosted:Mon Feb 26, 2007 17:25 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
hollies Post subject:

Site Admin

I'll be able to let you have more details of this in a couple of days. It is not a new "Studio" album, it's on the EMI Old Gold label, but it will have some interesting things on. I hope to get the track listing tomorrow but it is still being put together.

Hollies Forum
PostPosted:Mon Feb 26, 2007 18:09 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
SpartyScott Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Rob, I'll hope that this means that much of the album's content will not have seen a previouis CD release.

Let me know if you want some advice on songs that should be included!!!
PostPosted:Mon Feb 26, 2007 18:20 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Chirpy Post subject: CD on Amazon
Banjo

Banjo

The new CD is listed on the UK version of Amazon. Release date is 26th March and it is retailing for Ģ6.99, see here - http://tinyurl.com/34xbmw

I am looking forward to hearing what is on the CD...!

Chirpy
PostPosted:Mon Feb 26, 2007 18:34 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
James Towill Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Sounds like an interesting release. Please, not a 2CD rehash of all the hits - something different this time... Cool

PostPosted:Mon Feb 26, 2007 20:02 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
an Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

thanks for the info, Rob
PostPosted:Mon Feb 26, 2007 21:16 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Bonus Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Letīs hope itīs not the old greatest hits stuff that weīve already had too many times. If itīs not new material, why not another rarities................ But "Finest" doesnīt sound so promising. I cross my fingers that thereīre a few surprises on this cd, the finest ones.
PostPosted:Mon Feb 26, 2007 22:22 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
brandy Post subject:
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

When I followed the link to Amazon, I clicked on "view larger image" to see what was featured in print on "Finest's" cover. Here's what was listed...

I'm Alive
Bus Stop
Carrie Anne
Listen To Me
Just One Look
We're Through
On A Carousel
The Air That I Breathe

It may be that there are other, rarely-anthologized album cuts or rarities contained on the CD that are not listed on the cover; after all, the marketers would "lead" with the hits. But it does look like this one is aimed at the general public rather than HCHFs (Hard Core Hollies Fanatics).

I suspect this collection is "Like (Nearly) Everytime Before"... Sad

PostPosted:Tue Feb 27, 2007 17:23 pm
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

brandy wrote:
When I followed the link to Amazon, I clicked on "view larger image" to see what was featured in print on "Finest's" cover. Here's what was listed...

I'm Alive
Bus Stop
Carrie Anne
Listen To Me
Just One Look
We're Through
On A Carousel
The Air That I Breathe

It may be that there are other, rarely-anthologized album cuts or rarities contained on the CD that are not listed on the cover; after all, the marketers would "lead" with the hits. But it does look like this one is aimed at the general public rather than HCHFs (Hard Core Hollies Fanatics).

I suspect this collection is "Like (Nearly) Everytime Before"... Sad

OK, Rob can now lock this thread. Yet another greatest hits CD is definitely not something that the Hollies fan base is interested in seeing.

Tip to EMI - if you want to try and seperate us from our cash, at LEAST give us one new song that we've never heard on each disc, even if it's just an outtake of a familiar song. For example, an early demo of Allan singing Lullabye to Tim (before Graham ruined it) would be charming and would actually get me to pry open my wallet and make the purchase.

As we sometimes say here in the States, "THINK, McFly!" (that's from the Back To The Future movies)
PostPosted:Tue Feb 27, 2007 17:35 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
MichealC Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

I'd love to know what the business logic behind anthologising a band ad nauseum is. For example, some big acts are very rarely have collections The Beatles for example (I guess their body of work is allowed to speak for itself) but with The Hollies it is endless. Is it the case that unless a "new" product is created and put on the market, The Hollies won't get ordered, won't get stocked on the store shelves etc.?
PostPosted:Tue Feb 27, 2007 18:46 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

MichealC wrote:
I'd love to know what the business logic behind anthologising a band ad nauseum is. For example, some big acts are very rarely have collections The Beatles for example (I guess their body of work is allowed to speak for itself) but with The Hollies it is endless. Is it the case that unless a "new" product is created and put on the market, The Hollies won't get ordered, won't get stocked on the store shelves etc.?

MichaelC, it's a true mystery. There is NO WAY that the sales of a Hollies compilation CD would be hurt by one or two old outtakes or concert performances.

And yet, time and time again we get another "greatest hits" package where the most unfamilair song to the general public is a Hey Willy or Gasoline Alley Bred. Hey EMI, we've already got those songs, so dump Sandy or Curly Billy and give us outtakes.

Is it that complicated?
PostPosted:Tue Feb 27, 2007 18:49 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Words and Music
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic