graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Boys In The Band » Which Hollie is this?
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
James Towill Post subject: Which Hollie is this?
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

I'm a subscriber to the John Wetton messageboard. For those of you who are not familiar with the guy, he was bass player with Family, Uriah Heep, Roxy Music, UK and later formed the brilliant Asia. He's a superb musician and I've been lucky enough to meet him on a couple of occasions. I'm posting a thread from his messageboard which will be of interest, but which member of the band is he refering to? BTW, his post is under the pseudonym of 'Johan'!

Author Comment
rock_of_ages

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi John!

Last month, I picked up your old WETTON/DOWNES cd at the now defunct Tower Records. I have listened to this gem of an album a few times since then, and I luv it.

Anyways, my question is: How did "Oh! Carolann" evolve into "Kari-Anne"?? I totally love both versions, but I was just wondering what the thought processes were between you and Geoff at the time regarding the changes in the song.

Thanks!

Johan

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
No such thing as coincidence,just synchronicity.
'Oh,Carolann' was a working title at the time of our demo.
I was a little uncomfortable with the name,because it was the name of our receptionist at EG Management. I found myself at a kids' party, talking to a fabulous woman called 'Kari-Ann'.The name-switch was complete.It's Norwegian,I believe.
I later discovered she had been married to ,and had a child with, one of The Hollies, who had a hit of the same name. I don't know her,other than a brief,pleasant conversation at a 'do', but it's a pretty name, and it felt right.

Eye2Eye

KARI-ANNE by far is one of the best "unsung" Wetton/Downes hits. One thing I did like from the demo that was not carried onto the final "Kari-Anne" was the reversed piano sample that introduces the song.

Well, I know here name was Karri Anne, and she was dressed in red...

PostPosted:Sat Dec 23, 2006 17:07 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Knut Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

This is a nice but rather complex subject, James!

Both Leonard Cohen and Asia's Geoff Downes have been living with/married to Norwegian ladies. The first documented by the lovely So long Marianne, recently she has finally spoken about her relationship to Leonard Cohen in the press. The second I did not know inspired a song. What was written in the Norwegian newspapers, though, was that Geoff's former wife recently was over to New York for the Asia reunion concert. The Hollies Carrie Anne may have been inspired by someone, too, but I know it all started with the working title Hey Mr Man, and was based on Hey Mr Tambourine Man. Am I right? Where the Hollies' Carrie Anne name came from, would be nice to know. The song was written in Stavanger, Norway, though!

Would you believe the Hollies had power to stay by evolution of their style from Buddy Holly ? That's for certain because they follow what goes around, write on and go out on the road. They did it then, they do it now - please do it always.
PostPosted:Sun Dec 24, 2006 7:50 am
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Gee Post subject: John Wetton / Carrie Anne
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

John Wetton was also in Wishbone Ash, circa 1981, as Bass Guitarist / Vocalist
and appears on their album "Number The Brave" (MCA MCF 3103 )
John wrote : "That's That" on this Ash album, which was Produced by Nigel Gray
who also produced The Police among others.

"Carrie Anne" was apparently inspired by singer Marianne Faithful, according to another "post" on this forum.
PostPosted:Fri Feb 02, 2007 21:27 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
James Towill Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Met John a couple of times, nice chap. His work in King Crimson and UK, as well as the phenomenally successful Asia is worth investigating.

PostPosted:Fri Feb 02, 2007 21:31 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Boys In The Band
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic

Page 1 of 1