graphic
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Write On » "Hollies Greatest Hits" [2003] / "Long Road H
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Gee Post subject: "Hollies Greatest Hits" [2003] / "Long Road H
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

I have some ideas such as :"UK singles A and B sides 1963 to 1993" [with original Mono sixties singles mixes], a "Stereo "B" sides collection 1963 to 1970"......
a Decent "Rarities" Vol 2 set.
PostPosted:Tue Jan 16, 2007 18:05 pm

Last edited by Gee on Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:16 am; edited 2 times in total
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
MichealC Post subject: Re: "Hollies Greatest Hits" [2003] / "Long Ro
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Welcome Geoff,

What a great thread!

I for one don't think we need another compliations, between Magic and the various compilations out there it is possible to get almost all of the B sides, or at least should be by the time Magic are finished their run.

I certainly would like to see some rarities especially from the late Nash era and also Sylvester era. There seem to be a few interesting tracks in the vaults. I would also like to see demo versions of songs if these have survived in anybody's attic?

What I, personally, would most like to see is Live material. Because the Hollies were such a great band there live material is really enjoyable and I think enhances the Band's reputation.

Ideally, in the dream world it would be cool to see it done volume by volume. Maybe:

Volume 1 1963 - 68 : Radio Sessions, Lewisham Concert, Stockholm '66?

Volume 2 68 - 74 : Singapore, Radio Sessions, Rickfors Live

Volume 3 '74 + : 70s or 80s live with Clarke

Basically, old live stuff would make my day!

Michael
PostPosted:Tue Jan 16, 2007 19:27 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
James Towill Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Hi Geoff

Welcome! Always enjoyed reading your pieces for Carousel when I subscribed. I think basically my requests will be the same as many enthusiasts here and mirror slightly Michael's as detailed in the previous post.

1. 'B'-sides Compilation
-- I liked the EMI Music For Pleasure 70's A's and B's compilation of a decade or so ago, ideally, a 2CD bringing in the B-sides from '60's to '90's.

2. Full release of the 1968 Lewisham gig
-- In light of the renewed interest in the late '60's singer-songwriter movement and the birth of CSN, a gig such as this near the end of Nash's original tenure in the band could really be marketed well and would be a benchmark release.

3. Rickfors Years 2CD
-- Romany and Out On The Road sonically upgraded by the guys at Abbey Road (particularly the latter which really needs it, even Magic Records recent version is not totally brilliant!). Released together with Rickfors rarities such as Witchy Woman in a collectors edition release with good liner notes, interviews and photos.

4. General live material.
-- I'd be particularly interested in anything from late '60's onwards. For years in the 90's it seemed that loads of shows were being taped with intent to release live material (I think a live version of Another Night actually did surface - in Germany!). Anything from the Carl Wayne era would be valuable too.

I can speculate that 'recent' live material with Carl or Allan wouldn't go down well with the band as it may confuse prospective concert-goers for the current lineup, but nevertheless it would be good to see material being released. Possibly items could be released through this website rather than high street means if that was easier?

Basically, let's have some more archive material. Things have gone VERY QUIET of late regarding Hollies releases.

PostPosted:Tue Jan 16, 2007 20:09 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Gee Post subject: Hollies compilations & Live shows
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Thanks for your views, first re MichaelC's point on compilations,I know it may seem to just "re-hash" old ground [i.e. "hits again".....yawn !],but it is probably the best way to get the "odd" "Rare"/"live" song or two as EMI or any record company will only go for a product that will have "mass appeal" across the board.
PostPosted:Tue Jan 16, 2007 21:40 pm

Last edited by Gee on Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:15 am; edited 2 times in total
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Gee Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

A further point re my above reply,bear in mind "Live" recordings made by "The Hollies Ltd" of the band's stage shows are done exclusively for the Group's own purposes.
PostPosted:Tue Jan 16, 2007 22:32 pm

Last edited by Gee on Thu May 27, 2010 13:09 pm; edited 3 times in total
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
SpartyScott Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Geoff,

There are numerous threads on this sort of topic scattered throughout the message board.

I'm going to try and list what I think of as Hollies recordings that deserve a CD release, and I'll post it once I've compiled it.

I hope that you can help get some of this material out of the can and onto record store shelves where it belongs.

Scott
PostPosted:Tue Jan 16, 2007 23:43 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
MichealC Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Thanks for the responses Geoff. It's nice to actually get something official/ informed on these things. I must admit it's vaguely horrifying that they just don't want to put out things like Lewisham but it's their show.

Some points:

I don't think the Australian TV show is the source for Woodstock. I believe there are 2 conflicting bootlegs with TWO versions of Let It Be. One is from the Aussie TV show another (better) is an audience tape from Germany. I think this is where the Woodstock comes from. Can anyone confirm this? And does the Aussie TV show actually survive now?

The BBC '69 special is mostly pre-recorded and not live at all? There is a post about this somewhere else on the forum.

The German special is, apparently, Swiss but would be good on DVD paired with something like the Mike Mansfield one.

The '74/'75 Radio In Concert sounds intriguing, any details?

A Rickfors concert may exist with the Bill Graham archive. If you contact them it could possibly be licensed if it does exist... it could be paired with Out On The Road and Rickfors bonus tracks....!!

But if they don't want to touch Lewisham they hardly want to release Rickfors Live!

Michael

PS Would it be possible to release something less "officially" like The Who sell recordings of every date on their current tours. Maybe a rarities or live CD sold at concerts or online or just on iTunes?
PostPosted:Tue Jan 16, 2007 23:48 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
loenen16 Post subject:
Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar

dear geoff
a perfect idea
as a member of carousel i know the revews
and there 's a real opportunity here
but as you say there so many things people love to see the daylight ,and by coming effect is that we dont have to search anymore ,
if there is something out on the internet
that from bad qualiti as bootlegs sometimes are
the most off us know there are some items out
but we dont want them ,do we? no we fans would rater support the band to buy the legal stuff thats for sure !!!!!!! i do .
so if there is a way to see the daylight with rarities we good make a list from studio to live tracks .
witchy woman................. with mikael
amazing grace ................with allan
let it be ..........................from the australian concert with allan
a wither shade of pale.... live with allan
and many more things
so there you are ,you can have some work to be done??
greetings
bernard
PostPosted:Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:07 am
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Gee Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

I agree it is a shame re Lewisham....The show is,as you said, historically a very important one....and being with both Clarke and Nash you would think EMI would be keen on it ,put with the FULL Stockholm 1966 set,both remastered and "Cleaned up" as a "Sixties" Hollies live Compact Disc....[Anyone from EMI reading this ? ], remember EMI did far more work to prepare "Beatles live at the Hollywood Bowl" in 1977.
PostPosted:Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:52 am

Last edited by Gee on Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:11 am; edited 2 times in total
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Gee Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

We did push to get "She Said Yeah"[10 November 1964],the Bell Studios recordings ,New York from 27 April 1965 [many thanks to Bobby Elliott who kindly provided his original acetates to enable new "Masters" to be made as the original "masters" were long gone....],plus "Can't lie no more"[9-13 November 1979], and some other "rare" songs on "Long Road Home",I know Tim Chacksfield wanted "Jesus was a Crossmaker",I wanted "I can't get nowhere with you" [1965],and the full length U.S.A. 12 inch version of "Curly Billy",and Rickfors Hollies' version of The Eagles "Witchy Woman" cut over 24/28 July 1972 at Abbey Road studios.
I also sent Tim the full 12 inch "Shine Silently" with it's lovely vocal intro that is absent on the 7 inch single version, and luckily that went on !
PostPosted:Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:37 am

Last edited by Gee on Sat Oct 31, 2009 20:33 pm; edited 2 times in total
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
benny-b-goode Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Hi Geoff,

I want to say some words about "Long Road Home". I was very lucky the day I held that compilation in my hands. It was good to see that finally there was a compilation which showed that 6 CDs can be filled with great Hollies material, even without studio versions of "Bus Stop" and "Carrie Anne".
But why were "The Air That I Breathe" and "He Ain't Heavy" added, as they are on the live CD just like "Bus Stop" and "Carrie Anne". I would have taken single B-sides like "C'mon" or "Corrine" or album tracks of that era like "Out On The Road" with Allan instead of 1974's "The Air That I Breathe" or "Isn't It Nice" instead of "He Ain't Heavy".
But all in all the set is a brilliant in deep look into The Hollies' creativity over the decades. Thanks for that!! It was also the first chance for me in Germany to get "It's In Everyone Of Us", "When I'm Yours" and "Amnesty" on CD. Still I have no CD version of "A Crazy Steal". Maybe Magic Records will come up with it someday.

About future releases. I would be very glad to see a compilation with all the 80s and 90s single tracks. Great tracks like "For What It's Worth I'm Sorry", "Your Eyes", "You Gave Me Strength" and the discussed studio version of "Purple Rain" I'd really like to have on CD. I would also like to see "Nothing Else But Love" on this compilation because I don't have the track and don't want to buy a hit compilation like the 30th anniversary one just because of that one song.
I also would be very glad about a Rickfors era CD because I'm a big fan of the "Out On The Road" LP and it sounds very poor on Magic Records. It's worth a remastering, I think.
Yes, and live CDs and especially DVDs are great. I hoped for a realease of the Albert Hall concert in 2006. It was brilliant. Well, but one wish after the other.
PostPosted:Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:37 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
SpartyScott Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Geoff, my biggest complaint about the big box set was the inclusion of the Hollies Live Hits CD, which I believe is actually still in print. Any Hollies fan who really cares to seek out their music already owns that album.

That space could have much better been used to give us other concert recordings or else many, many more rarities like more BBC recordings, alternate mixes, and studio outtakes.

Of course, I still enjoy the set, but when I think about what could have been ... <sigh>
PostPosted:Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:47 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Gee Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

I can tell you that originally the idea Tim Chacksfield had was for absoluely NO duplication of tracks at all on either "Greatest Hits" or the six CD box set, [so no blame can go to Tim !]....
PostPosted:Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:48 pm

Last edited by Gee on Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:08 am; edited 3 times in total
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Gee Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

I quite agree ! ,I have an Overseas CD version of "Hollies Live Hits" called "Hollies Live" BR 123 ,issued in 1989 too,however it was decided by EMI that a "Live" CD with examples of "Nash","Sylvester" and later ["Coates"]versions of The Hollies in concert should go on...and to date "Live Hits" [1976] has not come out on Compact Disc in the UK ,Hence it being reproduced in full on "Disc Six"
PostPosted:Wed Jan 17, 2007 13:12 pm

Last edited by Gee on Sat Oct 31, 2009 20:36 pm; edited 2 times in total
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
MichealC Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

If the Australian TV show could come out on DVD it would be fantastic. It has some great stuff like a class version of Too Young To Be Married.

Lewisham Again! It's just a pity that when they had the foresight to make a live album in '68 they don't want to release it. Im sure many bands (or fans) would kill for a recording from the heyday of British pop.

Maybe Wolfgang's Vault/Bill Graham holds a copy of the Rickfors Berekley Community Theate show. It's a possibility. The Santa Monica live stuff is, I think, a radio simulcast of the ABC In Concert show? Dennis?

Michael
PostPosted:Wed Jan 17, 2007 13:40 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Write On
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic