graphic
Goto page 1, 2  Next
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Write On » Call for an acoustic tour
Would you like to see a Hollies acoustic tour?
Yes.
57%
 57%  [ 8 ]
No.
42%
 42%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 14
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
GordonJ Post subject: Call for an acoustic tour
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

How many Hollies fans would like to see a Hollies acoustic tour. I've had a desire for such a thing for a great number of years now. It would once again give the band the opportunity of puting new life into their songs and possibly re-introduce some of the old favourites like 'Stewball' 'Shine Silently' and perhaps even 'That's My Desire'. They would also have the opportunity of playing smaller venues in places they have either never been or haven't been since the ballroom days.
What do you all think Question
All the best
GordonJ
PostPosted:Sat Aug 28, 2004 11:04 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
DistantLight Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Hi Gordon!

It's a good idea but I've to this day never seen them in concert. So I would prefer an electric show. And I think so do a lot of other people but for those people who have seen them a lot of times it would be great.
PostPosted:Sat Aug 28, 2004 12:28 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
James Towill Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Hi Gordon

I agree wholeheartedly with you - a nice acoustic gig in a small hall or even pub (!) would be nice. I'm afraid I feel that something new has to be tried to spice things up a bit rather than the usual crop of hits. Cool
PostPosted:Sat Aug 28, 2004 17:18 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Susie Hewett Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Hi Gordon Exclamation

I like the idea of an accoustic concert, that would be something different. I know I'm going to hate myself for asking this question but what will Bobby and Ian do if they can't play their Drums and Keyboard Question

All The Best

Susie

Very Happy Laughing Rolling Eyes Cool
PostPosted:Sun Aug 29, 2004 2:32 am
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

No problem for Bobby and Ian: Bob could be on all manner of acoustic percussion (he uses some electronic stuff at the mo, I think) and Ian could be on piano, hurdy gurdy, accordian. Problem solved! Wink
PostPosted:Sun Aug 29, 2004 8:44 am
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Tony Wilkinson Post subject:

Excuse me................!!!!!!!!!!
99% Hollies songs are Allan Clarke.............
The present tribute line up would sound nothing like the original Hollies anyway.
Let's just remember them as they were please.....................
PostPosted:Sun Aug 29, 2004 12:57 pm
graphic
Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

?

A comment that the world needed!
PostPosted:Sun Aug 29, 2004 13:22 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Oooooh controversial comment Tony! I to some extent agree, since when the band got a new lead singer which happened only once before (Rickfors in 1972) they at least recorded new material as well as an ill-fated attempt to include past hits in the set. Don't know if there's much life left in the old dog... Confused
PostPosted:Sun Aug 29, 2004 18:30 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Anthony Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Hi Gordon,
Any tour would be welcome. I love the faster Hollies songs so I would like to see the first half of a concert acoustic and the second more faster rock'n'roll numbers.

PostPosted:Sun Aug 29, 2004 22:10 pm
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Susie Hewett Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Thankyou James, I new that someone would come up with a solution to what Bobby and Ian can do during an accoustic concert. I forgot about Ian's accordion playing and Bobby doing other percussion as well as the drums. Smile

All The best

Susie

Very Happy Razz
PostPosted:Mon Aug 30, 2004 11:02 am
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Hi Susie!

Bobby just can play his normal drums. Of course there are electronic drums but I don't think that he still uses them. That was only in the '80s. Drums are unplugged so that is no problem!
PostPosted:Mon Aug 30, 2004 11:56 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
brandy Post subject:
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

I prefer Anthony's approach, an acoustic set followed by an electric one. I read once CSN&Y did their shows this way, at least in the early years - maybe they still do from time to time.

I'm not sure what Tony meant by "99% Hollies songs are Allan Clarke". Composing, even when the band was recording (or at least releasing) their own material exclusively? It varied by song, but only 33.333% Clarkie. Performing and recording? That means a lot of a cappella material or voice and harmonica duets I somehow missed over the years.

Without great songs and great performances from the entire band, it wouldn't have mattered if Pavarotti had been their singer as the world took notice in the mid-60s. Okay, bad example!

Yes, the Voice of the Hollies, a major reason for the band's success and all that, but Tony was clearly the band's musical director long before Allan's departure. I wish I could have seen them at least once with Clarke, but that was not to be. But I haven't felt at all deprived seeing them with Carl's vocal talents at work.

As Anthony eloquently puts it "every member of the Hollies has played his part, 40 great years and still going" (I think that needs updating, my friend!)

Sure, I'm disappointed in the band's failure to progress in recent years, but Evolution was more than just an album title. It described a flexibility in which the whole was greater than the sum of the parts.

Feel free to remember as they were Tony, that's your right. And I'll be quite happy to take the seat in the audience you're vacating.

PostPosted:Mon Aug 30, 2004 19:17 pm
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Idea Just listening to the superb Romany album just now --- how great would acoustic versions of Words Don't Come Easy (hell, it is acoustic anyway!) and Magic Woman Touch be? Plus, Carl's voice is a little like Rickfors...

YOU KNOW IT MAKES SENSE! Wink Laughing
PostPosted:Mon Aug 30, 2004 19:41 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Idea Idea Bloody hell --- then there's Jesus Was A Crossmaker, to be sung by Alan Coates and featuring Mr Parker on baby grand. The ideas just keep flowing. Do the Hollies need a spin doctor?! Wink
PostPosted:Mon Aug 30, 2004 19:50 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Yes James!

They should do more from Romany, wether electric or acoustic. I think Carl would sound good on them too. What's with Won't We Feel Good That Morning or Slow Down or for the acoustic thing Touch and Blue In The Morning and Deleware Tagget And The Outlaw Boys (these three are with little elctric guitar anyway). Hmm...

P.S.: A great thing would be a Reunion with every band member that has been part of the Hollies involved (as somebody else said somewhere)
PostPosted:Mon Aug 30, 2004 20:37 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Write On
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic

Goto page 1, 2  Next