graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Boys In The Band » Allan and Jenny
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Vrinda Post subject: Allan and Jenny
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Does anyone here know when Allan Clarke and Jenny met, when they got married, and if they have any children? Did they go to school together?
PostPosted:Wed Nov 29, 2006 21:05 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
James Towill Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

I think they've been married since the mid-60's and have at least three kids - there's pics of their wedding day inside the Long Road Home boxset of 2003.

PostPosted:Wed Nov 29, 2006 21:29 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Vrinda Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Thanks, James!

I have this issue of New Musical Express from 1965 that has photos of the Hollies at home, including pictures of Graham and his first wife, Rosemary, Allan and Jenny, and Eric Haydock and his wife. Later, when I have more time, I'll post them.
PostPosted:Mon Dec 04, 2006 20:06 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Jane Post subject:

Hello Vrinda Exclamation

Allan and Jenny have 2 sons Tim and Tobe and a daughter Piper.

Jane
PostPosted:Wed Dec 13, 2006 3:06 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Vrinda Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Thank you, Jane! Very Happy

Now, here's the an interesting question: Are Allan's sons as cute as their dad? Very Happy We'll have to find a picture before we can say anything about that!

Vrinda
PostPosted:Wed Dec 13, 2006 22:00 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Gee Post subject: Allan Clarke's sons....
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Allan wrote his song "Lullaby to Tim" (1967) to his son Tim....while his songwriting Publishing company was named "Timtobe" after both his sons...
PostPosted:Mon Feb 26, 2007 19:20 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Vrinda Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

That's so adorable. Thanks, Geoff!

I've heard "Lullaby to Tim," in a sound byte on Amazon.com, and while I like the lyrics and melody, giving Graham's voice that gravelly, underwater sound spoiled it.

Did Allan name his daughter after actress Piper Laurie? It's an uncommon name, and Piper Laurie's the only famous person I've heard of with that name.
PostPosted:Mon Feb 26, 2007 23:47 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
snowflake Post subject:
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

Vrinda, I agree about "Lullaby to Tim", a great melody and lyric, but that sound effect ruins it for me too. At the time that song was recorded, they were experimenting with a lot of different effects to sound more psychedelic. Or maybe the effect they were aiming for was dream-like . . . it is supposed to be a song for a child, after all!!! I wonder why Graham sang it instead of Allan?

I've wondered that too about Piper Clarke's name . . . Piper Laurie immediately comes to mind.

PostPosted:Tue Feb 27, 2007 0:24 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Gee Post subject: Lullaby to Tim...
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

During that era The Hollies...like everyone else were "experimenting", and many of these were great successes...but obviously a few were less so...Allan wrote this for his (then) young son Tim....and they were doing all sorts of odd things like singing with a hollowed out bass drum over their heads...etc !
Graham had a "great idea"....thus the warbling effect (stories abound of him singing into a tank of water.)

One curious point....after all these years, IF we did hear a "normal" vocal version sung by Graham....would we find we "MISS" the "Warble"......???
PostPosted:Wed Feb 28, 2007 12:48 pm

Last edited by Gee on Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:39 am; edited 1 time in total
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
marko661 Post subject: Re: Lullaby to Tim...
Banjo

Banjo

Quote:
One curious point....after all these years, IF we did hear a "normal" vocal version sung by Graham....would we find we "MISS" the "Warble"......???

NO
PostPosted:Wed Feb 28, 2007 14:10 pm
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Gee Post subject: No....?
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Pehaps....but I always thought on Roy Orbison's "Only the Lonely" that the backup vocal "Dan,dan,dan,dab,eydowah...." was quite silly and uneccessary...until I heard the "demo" of just Roy singing lead without the backup vocal....and BOY did you "miss it"....!!!
PostPosted:Wed Feb 28, 2007 14:32 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
brandy Post subject:
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

Quote:

What annoys me more than the warble is the level of Bernie's bass on some mixes of Lullaby to Tim. I usually have to dive toward the CD player to turn down the bass when that track comes on, while the bass level seems about right on the rest of the Evolution tracks.

Graham singing underwater: Laughing Nice trick if you can do it without drowning and/or being electrocuted.

Otherwise, I treat the warble pretty much the same as the sound effects on Try It...souvenirs of 1967!

PostPosted:Wed Feb 28, 2007 21:47 pm
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
snowflake Post subject:
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

Had a good laugh with that mental image of them singing with the hollowed-out bass drum over their heads Laughing But I love the song and would love to hear either Graham or Allan sing it with "no frills".

And I do agree, Geoff, Graham had a lot of very fresh and progressive ideas for the band and most of them did work. Cool

PostPosted:Wed Feb 28, 2007 23:22 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Vrinda Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Quote:
Had a good laugh with that mental image of them singing with the hollowed-out bass drum over their heads Laughing But I love the song and would love to hear either Graham or Allan sing it with "no frills".

Yes, Snowflake, that's a hilarious image, but back before they had any technology to mimic those sound effects, they did have to improvise a lot, and if this method got them the sound they wanted, then they went fot it. It beats playing an electric guitar and singing underwater! On the one hand, you'll get electrocuted, or you'll drown. Not good prospects!

I think Graham was well-intentioned in trying this device for Lullaby to Tim. Maybe because it's a child's song, the underwater effect was added for amusement.
PostPosted:Wed Feb 28, 2007 23:52 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
SheLenka Post subject:
Banjo

Banjo

I must say the effect IS interesting, but it makes me feel so uneasy that I have to skip the track most of the times. I would love to hear both versions with Tony and Allan's VOICES Smile

I'm not really a fan of unnatural effects. My favourite songs are interesting for the work with instruments and vocals. I love the Hollies (and other groups) especially for the harmonies and the detailed work on "natural" sounding instruments and the energy. Human voice and 12-string guitar are my top. No effect can do that.
PostPosted:Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:00 am
graphic
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Boys In The Band
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic

Goto page 1, 2  Next