graphic
Goto page 1, 2  Next
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Boys In The Band » Hi!
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Vrinda Post subject: Hi!
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Hi everyone,

I'm Vrinda and I joined a few days ago. I'm 25 and have been a Hollies fan since I was about 9 or 10, when I saw a clip of them performing "Just One Look" on a documentary on the British Invasion. I didn't know much about them then, but later I heard the songs "Bus Stop," "Carrie Anne," "The Air That I Breathe," and "Stop! Stop! Stop!" on the radio. Then their albums were re-released in the U.S. on CD, and I saw some clips of the Hollies on YouTube. Since then, I've become a bigger fan than before. I listen to a lot of British Invasion bands - the Beatles being my #1 band always, but the Hollies come a close second!

I think Allan Clarke has one of the most distinctive voices in rock'n'roll, and Tony Hicks is an excellent lead guitarist. I prefer the Hollies' older material to the later stuff, but it'll take me a while to sample all of it. Thanks for letting me aboard and I look forward to getting to know you all!

Vrinda Very Happy
PostPosted:Mon Nov 27, 2006 16:01 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
hollies Post subject:

Site Admin

Hi Vrinda...welcome aboard.

You are right about both Allan and Tony. Both top of the class in the fields.

Hollies Forum
PostPosted:Mon Nov 27, 2006 16:05 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Vrinda Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Hi Rob, thank you!
Very Happy
PostPosted:Mon Nov 27, 2006 16:11 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
SheLenka Post subject:
Banjo

Banjo

Hi,
you both are right but don't forget one of the best drummers - Bobby Elliott! I am not writing this because the Hollies are my No 1, there are very few drummers who amazed me with their style - I am not an expert, so if something strikes me, it must be really, really good Smile
PostPosted:Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:49 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
James Towill Post subject: Re: Hi!
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Vrinda wrote:
I think Allan Clarke has one of the most distinctive voices in rock'n'roll

Yes, no disrespect to the others who have/are lead vocalists in The Hollies, but Allan was something special, shame he's no longer recording (as far as I know).

PostPosted:Tue Nov 28, 2006 17:08 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
holliesfan Post subject: Fellow Garden-stater
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Hi Vrinda,

Where are you located in the Garden State? I live in Cranbury near Princeton. Nice to see someone your age into the Hollies. There's certainly a lot of great Hollies music out there. Long live the Hollies! Look forward to your website participation.

Alan
PostPosted:Tue Nov 28, 2006 20:48 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Vrinda Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Quote:
Hi,
you both are right but don't forget one of the best drummers - Bobby Elliott! I am not writing this because the Hollies are my No 1, there are very few drummers who amazed me with their style - I am not an expert, so if something strikes me, it must be really, really good

Shelenka, I wasn't omitting Bobby, I just didn't have enough time to write a longer post! Yes, Bobby is one of the most talented drummers of the British Invasion, and in rock'n'roll in general.

Thank you, Alan!

I live in Westfield, in Union County. There are quite a few Hollies fans out there my age, some even younger. I'm a member of another message board where we had a thread on the Hollies on one of the forums, and one 18-year-old member said she also loved the Hollies. Plus, there is a 16-year-old girl posting their videos on YouTube. I think these guys are here to stay!
PostPosted:Tue Nov 28, 2006 21:02 pm

Last edited by Vrinda on Wed Jan 31, 2007 16:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
SheLenka Post subject:
Banjo

Banjo

I'm really glad to hear the Hollies are popular among young people in the States Smile
I live in a small country but there are quite a few fans. Some are quite young, too. My 60's music friends and I are a group of people between 25 and 30-something Wink

So "Long Live The Hollies" becomes reality Cool
PostPosted:Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:24 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
benny-b-goode Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Hi Vrinda,

it's great that you are part of this forum. It's a pity that the USA are so far away. It would be great to know someone being a Hollies fan of my age because I am 27 years old and I don't know anyone in person who even knows The Hollies, not even older people. It is annoying being so alone with a hobby.
Sometimes I think that I am the only person in the whole wide world knowing The Hollies. The only exception is this forum. So, it is good to know that there are people of my age out there knowing and admiring The Hollies the way I do.
Maybe someday a miracle might happen and I will meet another Hollies fan here in Germany.
PostPosted:Mon Dec 04, 2006 17:07 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
James Towill Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

I'm 28 and have been a fan for about 13 years now. It's a shame that some other stuff doesn't get dusted off and released as it would appear that a great many of the previously unreleased stuff that was known about is getting out there... WE NEED MORE! Wink Laughing

PostPosted:Mon Dec 04, 2006 19:48 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Vrinda Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Quote:
Hi Vrinda,

it's great that you are part of this forum. It's a pity that the USA are so far away. It would be great to know someone being a Hollies fan of my age because I am 27 years old and I don't know anyone in person who even knows The Hollies, not even older people. It is annoying being so alone with a hobby.
Sometimes I think that I am the only person in the whole wide world knowing The Hollies. The only exception is this forum. So, it is good to know that there are people of my age out there knowing and admiring The Hollies the way I do.
Maybe someday a miracle might happen and I will meet another Hollies fan here in Germany.

Hi Benny,

Thanks! There probably are a lot of Hollies fans in Germany. They toured there in 1965 and 1966, so they must have had a following there. I know how annoying it can be being the only person who likes a particular rock band or singer. I felt that way in third grade, when I was the only girl in my class who liked the Beatles, and other girls liked some awful group called The New Kids on the Block. By the time we were in eighth grade, these same girls who made fn of me for liking the Beatles had their pictures taped to the insides of their lockers, and they had even gone on a trip to England one summer, went to Abbey Road, had their pictures taken by the street sign, and even signed their names on the wall. (The hypocrites!)

I'm also glad that there are people my age out there who like the Hollies, too. At least we know they won't be forgotten!

Vrinda Very Happy
PostPosted:Mon Dec 04, 2006 20:03 pm

Last edited by Vrinda on Sat Dec 09, 2006 4:10 am; edited 1 time in total
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject: Re: Hi!
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

James Towill wrote:
Vrinda wrote:
I think Allan Clarke has one of the most distinctive voices in rock'n'roll

Yes, no disrespect to the others who have/are lead vocalists in The Hollies, but Allan was something special, shame he's no longer recording (as far as I know).

My problem with Allan Clarke was that he could never make up his mind whether he wanted to be in the band or not, defecting in both 1971 and 1977, whenever he started to smell solo success for himself, which never materalized. I think the band was unwise to let him come back in both instances. 1972 was the best year for the band in my opinion. Mikael Rickfors' talent as a performer, vocalist, songwriter, and a multi-instrumentalist, outshadowed Clarke's.
PostPosted:Thu Dec 07, 2006 3:57 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
James Towill Post subject: Re: Hi!
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

[quote="Dennis"][quote="James Towill"]
Vrinda wrote:
Mikael Rickfors' talent as a performer, vocalist, songwriter, and a multi-instrumentalist, outshadowed Clarke's.

I can't agree with this, but that's just what was mentioned in a previous topic - we all like different things.

I think Rickfors was superb, but Clarke is at least on equal level with him. I'd like to have seen Allan play more guitar with the band, but he was perhaps pigeon-holed into the frontman position right from the start, so he couldn't melt in to the band as Rickfors did when he arrived.

I think the issue was Clarke needed the Hollies and the Hollies needed Clarke to avoid alienating fans/try and grasp at some kind of commercial success - history is history.

PostPosted:Thu Dec 07, 2006 7:25 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject: Re: Hi!
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

[quote="James Towill"][quote="Dennis"]
James Towill wrote:
Vrinda wrote:
Mikael Rickfors' talent as a performer, vocalist, songwriter, and a multi-instrumentalist, outshadowed Clarke's.

I can't agree with this, but that's just what was mentioned in a previous topic - we all like different things.

I think Rickfors was superb, but Clarke is at least on equal level with him. I'd like to have seen Allan play more guitar with the band, but he was perhaps pigeon-holed into the frontman position right from the start, so he couldn't melt in to the band as Rickfors did when he arrived.

I think the issue was Clarke needed the Hollies and the Hollies needed Clarke to avoid alienating fans/try and grasp at some kind of commercial success - history is history.

Witnessing The Hollies In Concert with Rickfors in 1972 was an amazing experience. Clarke just never impressed me as much. Other groups survived and prospered with major personnel changes during the '70s (such as The Doobie Brothers and Fleetwood Mac), so there was no reason that The Hollies couldn't have done the same had they given it more time. As for recordings, I still think "Romany" is the band's best and most satisfying LP overall. It's speculation, of course, but had they kept Rickfors in the band, maybe they wouldn't have ended up an "oldies" act as they always were with Clarke. The country-rock direction they were going in with Rickfors could have been pursued further. But it was back to the same old grind of "playing the hits" when Clarke came back. Nothing changed. To their credit, they got re-energized with "Russian Roulette", with the live workouts of "Draggin' My Heels" and "Daddy Don't Mind" being spot-on, but the spirit wasn't carried further. "A Crazy Steal" and "5317704" were unexciting followups.
PostPosted:Sat Dec 09, 2006 0:00 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Vrinda Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Quote:
My problem with Allan Clarke was that he could never make up his mind whether he wanted to be in the band or not, defecting in both 1971 and 1977, whenever he started to smell solo success for himself, which never materalized. I think the band was unwise to let him come back in both instances. 1972 was the best year for the band in my opinion. Mikael Rickfors' talent as a performer, vocalist, songwriter, and a multi-instrumentalist, outshadowed Clarke's.

Never having heard Mikael Rickfor's voice, I can't comment on his singing style being better than Allan Clarke's. I think Allan did not make a wise decision by leaving twice like he did, though. If he was good enough to make it as a solo singer, he could have done so while still recording with the Hollies, like Frankie Valli of the Four Seasons did when he released "Can't Take My Eyes Off of You."
PostPosted:Sat Dec 09, 2006 4:09 am

Last edited by Vrinda on Wed Jan 31, 2007 16:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
graphic
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Boys In The Band
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Page 1 of 2