The Hollies Forum Index » Elevated Observation » Herman's Hermits
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Susie Hewett Post subject: Herman's Hermits
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Hi Rob and Everyone Exclamation

Last night I went to The Rooty Hill RSL Club (in Sydney not far from Penrith where I live) and saw Herman's Hermits and they were absolutely sensational and brilliant. They came on stage about 8.55pm and the concert ended at 10.35pm and I loved every second and didn't want it to end. I was at a table in the front next to the stage so I had a fantastic view of them. There is only one original band member - Drummer Barry Whitwam, the other 3 guys names are Geoff, (Lead Guitar) Eddie (Bass Guitar) and Jerry (Keyboards) and the 3 of them take it in turns to do lead vocals. The band sang many of their own hits from the 60's as well as songs from other artists of the late 1950's/very early 1960's.

About 5 minutes into the concert Barry Whitwam got up from the drums and walked to the front of the stage and took us down memory lane and told us that he was just 17 years old when Herman's Hermits started out in 1964 and about going into to studio to record their first hit I'm Into Something Good (which made No.1). About 3 quarters of the way through the show Barry did the best drum solo I have ever seen which lasted about 5 minutes.

All 4 guys wore identical cloths that look very nice on them. They wore black trousers with matching sleeveless vests, grey and black checked shirts and white ties.

Some of the non Herman's Hermits songs they performed include - Poetry In Motion, Runaround Sue, Diana, Dream Lover, Oh Carol, Lets Do The Twist and other songs that I've heard before but don't know the title. Below is a list of their own songs that they performed.

Silhouettes (the song they opened the show with)
Mrs Brown You've Got A Lovely Daughter
No Milk Today
A Must To Avoid
Sleepy Joe
Listen People
Can't You Hear My Heartbeat
Wonderful World
Sunshine Girl
Dandy
Leaning On The Lamp Post
My Sentimental Friend
I'm Into Something Good (my favourite)
There's A Kind Of Hush All Over The World
I'm Henry The VIII I Am

Like many other bands I've seen, Herman's Hermits also do some Banter which is very funny. At the beginning of the show after they sang Silhouettes, Eddie said jokingly "Hands Up Those Who Thought We Were Dead?" and some people actually put their hands up and Eddied said "Well We're Not" and everyone laughed. Then Geoff said that they were going to do the Full Monty complete with G-Strings and a Hammock for Barry at the end of the show that they were going to throw into the audience and told us people in the front to watch for the Hammock because 3 people were still recovering in Hospital after being hit by it the night before , he was only joking of course.

Herman's Hermits are true entertainers and they put on a truly magnificent show and I'll definately see them again next time they visit Australia.

My rating for the concert - 10 out of 10 with 10 gold stars too.

Susie

PostPosted:Sun Nov 12, 2006 0:56 am
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Anthony Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Thanks Susie for the review, sounds like it was a fab night. I know many HH fans are not keen on Barry's band and think Peter Noone is the only one who can call himself HH.
I wish Tony would do a spot and take us down memory lane and talk about the early days of the Hollies, past members etc, I'm sure he would have some fantastic stories to tell. Somehow I think that would bring all the line ups together, a bit like this is a work in progress.
Thanks again,
Anthony

PostPosted:Sun Nov 12, 2006 13:28 pm
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
holliesfan Post subject: Re: Herman's Hermits
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Susie Hewett wrote:
Hi Rob and Everyone Exclamation

Last night I went to The Rooty Hill RSL Club (in Sydney not far from Penrith where I live) and saw Herman's Hermits and they were absolutely sensational and brilliant. They came on stage about 8.55pm and the concert ended at 10.35pm and I loved every second and didn't want it to end. I was at a table in the front next to the stage so I had a fantastic view of them. There is only one original band member - Drummer Barry Whitwam, the other 3 guys names are Geoff, (Lead Guitar) Eddie (Bass Guitar) and Jerry (Keyboards) and the 3 of them take it in turns to do lead vocals. The band sang many of their own hits from the 60's as well as songs from other artists of the late 1950's/very early 1960's.

About 5 minutes into the concert Barry Whitwam got up from the drums and walked to the front of the stage and took us down memory lane and told us that he was just 17 years old when Herman's Hermits started out in 1964 and about going into to studio to record their first hit I'm Into Something Good (which made No.1). About 3 quarters of the way through the show Barry did the best drum solo I have ever seen which lasted about 5 minutes.

All 4 guys wore identical cloths that look very nice on them. They wore black trousers with matching sleeveless vests, grey and black checked shirts and white ties.

Some of the non Herman's Hermits songs they performed include - Poetry In Motion, Runaround Sue, Diana, Dream Lover, Oh Carol, Lets Do The Twist and other songs that I've heard before but don't know the title. Below is a list of their own songs that they performed.

Silhouettes (the song they opened the show with)
Mrs Brown You've Got A Lovely Daughter
No Milk Today
A Must To Avoid
Sleepy Joe
Listen People
Can't You Hear My Heartbeat
Wonderful World
Sunshine Girl
Dandy
Leaning On The Lamp Post
My Sentimental Friend
I'm Into Something Good (my favourite)
There's A Kind Of Hush All Over The World
I'm Henry The VIII I Am

Like many other bands I've seen, Herman's Hermits also do some Banter which is very funny. At the beginning of the show after they sang Silhouettes, Eddie said jokingly "Hands Up Those Who Thought We Were Dead?" and some people actually put their hands up and Eddied said "Well We're Not" and everyone laughed. Then Geoff said that they were going to do the Full Monty complete with G-Strings and a Hammock for Barry at the end of the show that they were going to throw into the audience and told us people in the front to watch for the Hammock because 3 people were still recovering in Hospital after being hit by it the night before , he was only joking of course.

Herman's Hermits are true entertainers and they put on a truly magnificent show and I'll definately see them again next time they visit Australia.

My rating for the concert - 10 out of 10 with 10 gold stars too.

Susie

Now if only Barry and Peter could hook up...now that would be extra special!
PostPosted:Fri Nov 17, 2006 0:36 am
graphic
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Elevated Observation
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic

Page 1 of 1