graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Elevated Observation » Marvin, Welch and Farrar
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
James Towill Post subject: Marvin, Welch and Farrar
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Meant to post about this a couple of months back. Dennis has mentioned this act in a previous post, and I've seen references to them in 'Carousel'. Their two albums, plus some bonus cuts were released on a 2CD pack by BGO Records a month or two back. The sleevenotes have references to MW&F having harmonies like the Hollies/CSN and recording the same type of material, and indeed, some tunes are very like the Rickfors period and one of the tracks even features the electric sitar. Well worth checking out this collection, there's some pap in there, but mostly some superb songs.

Here's the details:

Marvin, Welch & Farrar:
You're Burning Bridges - A Thousand Conversations - Brownie Kentucky - My Home Town - Silvery Rain - Throw Down A Line - Baby I'm Calling You - Faithful - Mistress Fate & Father Time - Take Her Away - Wish You Were Here - Mr. Sun

Second Opinion:
Black Eyes - Tiny Robin - Simplify Your Head - Ronnie - Far Away Falling - Let's Say Goodbye - Lonesome Mole - Thank Heavens I've Got You - Lady Of The Morning - The Time To Care - Come Back To Nature - All Day, All Night Blues Bonus tracks: Marmaduke - Strike A Light - Music Makes My Day - Skin Deep - Galadriel (Spirit Of Starlight) - Small And Lonely Light

2 ON 1 CD With the disbanding of The Shadows at the end of the 60's, Hank Marvin and Bruce Welch joined forces with New Zealand songwriter John Farrar to form vocal group Marvin, Welch & Farrar Influenced by Crosby, Stills & Nash, this package includes all material recorded by MW&F including A and B sides Digitally remastered, slip-cased and with new sleevenotes Ads in Record Collector

PostPosted:Mon Jul 31, 2006 22:46 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
DistantLight Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Thanks for the info, James! That sounds very interesting, I think I will get me this CD. Of the songs I only know "Throw Down A Line" but only the Cliff Richard version which I really like.
PostPosted:Wed Aug 02, 2006 8:30 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Their debut LP is the real gem, but the second LP has its moments as well. Every Hollies fan should hear this short-lived group, whose thrilling harmony vocals are on a par with The Hollies.
PostPosted:Wed Aug 02, 2006 17:42 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
benny-b-goode Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Thank you, James, for this interesting information. I read your post about Melvin, Welch & Farrar and bought the 2 CD Pack immediately afterwards on Ebay.
I have all the Hollies recordings and all the recordings CSN released as a trio. The harmony singing of this trio is equally great. It's a shame that MW&F only survived for this short time. To be famous in another group sometimes is a real curse. The songs and harmonies are great.
I especially like "Faithful". The echo on the harmony vocals sounds overwhelmingly beautiful. I can't take the CDs out of my CD player. Without you I would never have heard of this trio.
So, THANK YOU again for this information. Very Happy
PostPosted:Mon Aug 14, 2006 20:55 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
James Towill Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

benny-b-goode wrote:
Thank you, James, for this interesting information.

You're very welcome! It is great music, isn't it? I've lent my copy to a friend to have a listen to it, I'll find out what he thinks on Friday.

PostPosted:Mon Aug 14, 2006 22:21 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Thought I would move this post up again, as it was Geoff, in writing for 'Carousel' who brought this group to my attention. Having a listen to MW&F just now. Amazing stuff.

PostPosted:Wed Feb 21, 2007 16:01 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Gee Post subject: Marvin Welch & Farrar....
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

M,W & F (not quite as easy as CSN !) literally "stepped from The Shadows" when the famous Instrumental (and also occasionally vocal ! ) group first split up at the tail end of the Sixties...
PostPosted:Wed Feb 21, 2007 19:54 pm

Last edited by Gee on Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:43 am; edited 1 time in total
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Geoff does it again! Great review of that period. The live Shads album you talk about, is that the one which is available as a DVD/CD set with a red cover? Think it's just been reissued by Eagle Records?

PostPosted:Wed Feb 21, 2007 20:14 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Anthony Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

I have the live Shadows DVD, they were really good singers, John Farrar is an Australian and was in a group called the Strangers. He is now married to Pat Carroll who sung with ONJ in the 60's. John has done a lot of work with Cliff Richard also.

PostPosted:Wed Feb 21, 2007 20:22 pm
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Gee Post subject: Shadows Final Tour...and Earlier...CD's..
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Yes that is the abum ( & DVD), they pay a nice tribute to all the various "eras" of their long career, doing the two M W & F songs...a group of hits they wrote for Cliff plus their own hits and favorites as The Shadows from 1960 to 1990.(CD Eagle EDGCD 283 - 2CD Set, there is also a CD/DVD Set too))
PostPosted:Wed Feb 21, 2007 20:46 pm

Last edited by Gee on Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:39 am; edited 1 time in total
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Knut Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Interesting thread. I enjoy the Final tour DVD by Shadows immensely. Now I'll jump over to amazon uk's web site and order the two M W & F albums. Thanks for the tip!

Would you believe the Hollies had power to stay by evolution of their style from Buddy Holly ? That's for certain because they follow what goes around, write on and go out on the road. They did it then, they do it now - please do it always.
PostPosted:Fri Feb 23, 2007 8:20 am
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Knut wrote:
Interesting thread. I enjoy the Final tour DVD by Shadows immensely. Now I'll jump over to amazon uk's web site and order the two M W & F albums. Thanks for the tip!

Bought the DVD/2CD set of the Final Tour. Absolutely superb. Great players and superbly recorded.

PostPosted:Mon Feb 26, 2007 20:03 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Gee Post subject: The Final Cliff / Shadows studio album...
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

EMI have just issued an expanded "remastered" version of the 1968 Final
Studio Album by Cliff Richard / The Shadows: "Established 1958" ( EMI 0948 3 81968 2 2 ).
PostPosted:Sat Mar 24, 2007 17:00 pm

Last edited by Gee on Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:13 am; edited 1 time in total
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

BGO Records have just released the follow up, '73's Marvin & Farrar - check it out:
http://www.bgo-records.com/new_releases.htm#11

PostPosted:Tue Jun 26, 2007 15:11 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
benny-b-goode Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Hi James,

I have to thank you again. Without you I would never have taken notice of M,W &F and their two great albums. "Faithful" still is one of those songs that touches me the most of all the songs I know. How great the chorus sounds and their harmony vocals.

Now you have informed us about a third album with Marvin & Farrar. I didn't know about the existence of that third album before you have told us here about the BGO release. After I have read your post I have ordered a copy of that CD immediately. I have listened to it five times and I love that album as I do the other two ones. Great songs and great harmony vocals again. It sounds, as if Bruce Welch wasn't missing on that particular album.

My favourite songs are "Music Makes My Day" (nice melody), "If I Rewrote Yesterdays" (again a nice melody played in a folk style), "Galadriel" (interesting arrangement), "Love Oh Love" (nice mixture of a ballad and rock elements), "Small And Lonely Light" (nice song and great harmonies) and "You Never Can Tell" (my favourite song; great piano playing on it; very atmospheric song). I really love that album. So, thanks to you again, James.

BUT I found a mistake on the first double CD release on BGO. There are four Bonus tracks taken from that third album and the last track's name is "Small And Lonely Light" although it actually is "Help Me Onto Your Wagon". But who cares ? Thanks to BGO Records for the reissue of those great albums. Everytime I listen to those albums I get sad that there aren't more vocal releases of MArvin, Welch & Farrar. Those albums are a MUST for every Hollies fan, I think.
PostPosted:Tue Jul 10, 2007 12:19 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Elevated Observation
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic

Goto page 1, 2  Next