graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Write On » Out on the Road
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

The fact that "Out On The Road" inexplicably failed to secure a release in the UK or the US probably contributed to the ouster of Mikael Rickfors from the band. It would be interesting to know the full story, but, as with so much that has gone on with the band, we are left to play a guessing game. It seems odd, in retrospect, that it didn't at least get a US and/or Australian release, where that lineup toured. It could have had "If It Wasn't for the Reason" added (and released as a single).
PostPosted:Tue Jul 25, 2006 15:57 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Chirpy Post subject: Out on the road
Banjo

Banjo

Well, I've received my copy of OOTR from Magic records - took 6 days from order to front door delivery.
Sound quality is OK. Out On The Road and Trans-Atlantic West Bound Jet are both with Rickfors on lead vocals, Oh Granny is the Clarke version.
Still, a relatively cheap but definitely worthwhile addition to my collection!!!!

TTFN,
Chirpy
PostPosted:Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:40 am
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
James Towill Post subject: Re: Out on the road
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Chirpy wrote:
Well, I've received my copy of OOTR from Magic records - took 6 days from order to front door delivery.
Sound quality is OK. Out On The Road and Trans-Atlantic West Bound Jet are both with Rickfors on lead vocals, Oh Granny is the Clarke version.
Still, a relatively cheap but definitely worthwhile addition to my collection!!!!

TTFN,
Chirpy

Thanks for the info, Chirpy. I too have ordered a copy from Magic but I'm still awaiting delivery. I notice you say that the sound quality is 'OK' - is it better than on 'The Rickfors Years' release a few years back? Magic did a really good job of 'Another Night', but ideally, I'm looking for sound quality akin to 'I Had A Dream' on the box set. Shame about 'Oh! Granny' Rolling Eyes

PostPosted:Mon Jul 31, 2006 16:31 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
SpartyScott Post subject: Re: Out on the road
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

James Towill wrote:
Thanks for the info, Chirpy. I too have ordered a copy from Magic but I'm still awaiting delivery. I notice you say that the sound quality is 'OK' - is it better than on 'The Rickfors Years' release a few years back? Magic did a really good job of 'Another Night', but ideally, I'm looking for sound quality akin to 'I Had A Dream' on the box set. Shame about 'Oh! Granny' Rolling Eyes

Yes, it's a shame that Magic (and for that matter, EMI) don't ask our opinion here on this site when choosing bonus track or, uh, which songs to include on box sets.

OBVIOUSLY, Allan's voice should not be on this CD (but Witchy Woman should be).
PostPosted:Mon Jul 31, 2006 19:47 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
James Towill Post subject: Re: Out on the road
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

SpartyScott wrote:
James Towill wrote:

Yes, it's curious why they've included Mexico Gold as well - presumably 'cos it was the first track recorded when Clarke returned for the second round. It's including bonus tracks for the sheer hell of it!

PostPosted:Mon Jul 31, 2006 20:03 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject: Re: Out on the road
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

SpartyScott wrote:
James Towill wrote:

Yes, it's a shame that Magic (and for that matter, EMI) don't ask our opinion here on this site when choosing bonus track or, uh, which songs to include on box sets.

"Witchy Woman" has not received an official release anywhere, so it's not surprising that it is not on this CD. It's only been passed around collectors via tapes and bootleg CDs.
PostPosted:Mon Jul 31, 2006 21:53 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
James Towill Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Received my copy of OOTR today and listening to it just now. Mostly, the sound is much improved upon the 'Rickfors Years' release issued a few years back but it's not altogether perfect or as good as Romany for example. Good addition to my collection, though.

PostPosted:Tue Aug 01, 2006 20:35 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
SpartyScott Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Well, I don't have the Magic release yet.

But, I just played my original LP in honor of the release, and I thougth that it sounded great.

There's nothing like playing "Slow Down, Go Down" at exceptionally high volume to get the wife mad. Laughing Oh, how COULD the lads have written a lyric like that?????
PostPosted:Wed Aug 02, 2006 0:19 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

SpartyScott wrote:
Well, I don't have the Magic release yet.

But, I just played my original LP in honor of the release, and I thougth that it sounded great.

There's nothing like playing "Slow Down, Go Down" at exceptionally high volume to get the wife mad. Laughing Oh, how COULD the lads have written a lyric like that?????

Yes, it does sound rather sexist, doesn't it? But "Out On The Road" was a deliberately hard-edged album, designed as a contrast to the "polite" sound of "Romany", this according to Bernie Calvert.
PostPosted:Wed Aug 02, 2006 3:07 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
James Towill Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

SpartyScott wrote:
Oh, how COULD the lads have written a lyric like that?????

I know, surely the rhyming dictionary had more entries than just 'beat' to rhyme with 'feet' Laughing

Or maybe they were talking about beating the woman at Monopoly? Nothing like taking out your frustration by beating your partner into submission over a hot board game. Shocked Wink Laughing Laughing

PostPosted:Wed Aug 02, 2006 6:49 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
DistantLight Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

I also always wondered about that line... they shouldn't have used lyrics like that I think!

Quote:
But "Out On The Road" was a deliberately hard-edged album, designed as a contrast to the "polite" sound of "Romany", this according to Bernie Calvert.

This has been also said in another thread but I think that's rubbish. As I've written in my review I think OOTR is poppier and lacks the roughness of Romany. Even the rockers on OOTR aren't as "hard" as the ones on Romany. I absolutely don't understand and agree with this statement.
PostPosted:Wed Aug 02, 2006 8:26 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
SpartyScott Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

DistantLight wrote:
I also always wondered about that line... they shouldn't have used lyrics like that I think!

Quote:
But "Out On The Road" was a deliberately hard-edged album, designed as a contrast to the "polite" sound of "Romany", this according to Bernie Calvert.

This has been also said in another thread but I think that's rubbish. As I've written in my review I think OOTR is poppier and lacks the roughness of Romany. Even the rockers on OOTR aren't as "hard" as the ones on Romany. I absolutely don't understand and agree with this statement.

What Calvert is saying, I think, is that the Out On The Road album, for the most part, has less studio trickery and (if I remember that interview correctly) was intended to sound almost like it was recorded "live" in the studio. Y'know, something like the Beatles' Get Back album was originally going to be.

And since Bernie was there, I'm sure that he knows how each LP was recorded.
PostPosted:Wed Aug 02, 2006 13:04 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

DistantLight wrote:

Quote:

That's what the man (Bernie Calvert) said, take it as you will.
PostPosted:Wed Aug 02, 2006 17:49 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

SpartyScott wrote:
DistantLight wrote:

Quote:

What Calvert is saying, I think, is that the Out On The Road album, for the most part, has less studio trickery and (if I remember that interview correctly) was intended to sound almost like it was recorded "live" in the studio. Y'know, something like the Beatles' Get Back album was originally going to be.

And since Bernie was there, I'm sure that he knows how each LP was recorded.

I think you got it right; it does have a "live in the studio" sound, with little if any overdubbing. It shows what great musicianship and songcraft can achieve.
PostPosted:Wed Aug 02, 2006 17:52 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Re: "Slow Down, Go Down": What about the line, "Just be a damned good lover, I don't want to sleep at nights". I always thought that, too, was provocative coming from The Hollies.
PostPosted:Thu Aug 03, 2006 6:25 am
graphic
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Write On
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next