The Hollies Forum Index » Out On The Road » Dalhalla, Sweden
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Knut Post subject: Dalhalla, Sweden
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Hi folks!
The countdown to Hollies back in Sweden has begun. To my knowledge this will be their first show in Sweden since the early 80's. This is quite remarkable, as they were in fact bigger than the Beatles in Sweden during 1966-68, scoring 6 number 1 hits. The first of those 6 was "Very last day", and it will be a most appropriate choice for the band to play this song in Dalhalla. This venue is supposed to have fabulous acoustics, being used as an outdoor opera scene. Since they played "Very last day" at the two recent shows, it seems we have a very good chance to get the song after all these years. The last time I heard this played by the Hollies, was in Oslo in 1966. Now 40 years has passed, and that song has certainly stood the test of time!

Anyone having saved a few days of their holidays, should seriously consider going to Sweden. Just check Ryanair from London (Luton or Stansted), Frankfurt, Hamburg or Glasgow. Or you might drive, which also is a nice journey. Dalhalla is NW of Stockholm near the beautiful Siljan lake. Don't forget that there is some distance between Stockholm and Rattvik. There is a camping in Rattvik, where some of us will stay. A bus service to the concert arena is provided from there.

See you in Sweden?

Would you believe the Hollies had power to stay by evolution of their style from Buddy Holly ? That's for certain because they follow what goes around, write on and go out on the road. They did it then, they do it now - please do it always.
PostPosted:Tue Jul 11, 2006 7:37 am
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
John Truman Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Helen and I will be there. We're having 3 days in Stockholm then 2 days in Rattvik.

Hope to see you there.

PostPosted:Tue Jul 11, 2006 8:18 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
hollies Post subject:

Site Admin

See you there John.

Hollies Forum
PostPosted:Tue Jul 11, 2006 15:07 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Knut Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Nice to meet you, John!
I certainly would have liked to talk to you during the break, but I was unfortunately hung up with some refreshments to buy for my friends, and suddenly the time had gone. But I hope to see you next year in England.

Would you believe the Hollies had power to stay by evolution of their style from Buddy Holly ? That's for certain because they follow what goes around, write on and go out on the road. They did it then, they do it now - please do it always.
PostPosted:Tue Aug 08, 2006 22:00 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
James Towill Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

These Scandinavian countries are beautiful locations to attend gigs, just back from a weekend seeing two outdoor gigs by Manfred Mann's Earth Band in Langesund and Moss, Norway. £6 a drink is a bit steep though! Shocked

Enjoy the gig. Smile

PostPosted:Tue Aug 08, 2006 22:10 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
John Truman Post subject: Dalhalla
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Good to meet you too, Knut. Like you said, hope to see you again next year.

PostPosted:Wed Aug 09, 2006 15:15 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Sune Post subject:
Banjo

Banjo

Hi folks!

It was really nice to have a short chat with you John and also Rob. I wish it could have been much longer, i think we should have a lot to talk about. Maybe some other time.

Knut, i was on my way to say hello to you, but you were gone when i came to your seat. Maybe some other time.
PostPosted:Thu Aug 10, 2006 7:33 am
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
John Truman Post subject: Dalhalla, Sweden
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Hi Sune

Yes, certainly enjoyed the chat with you. Sorry we didn't have time for a longer chat afterwards but our bus was waiting.

What a great venue! Have you been to Dalhalla before?

PostPosted:Thu Aug 10, 2006 8:24 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Sune Post subject:
Banjo

Banjo

No John we have not, but we have talked about it many times. So when the news came that The Hollies was going to play there it was almost like winning on the lotto.

Another thing about the concert is that in my opinion the sound could have been a little bit louder and also the stage was to far away from the audience.

I saw them in Aarhus 2003 and sat on the third row and it was much more intimate and more like a rockshow than in Dalhalla.
What do you think, are they better in smaller concerthalls than in bigger outdoor arenas.
PostPosted:Fri Aug 11, 2006 21:02 pm
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
SheLenka Post subject:
Banjo

Banjo

Thanks to Knut and John for the Dalhalla reviews. It was my dream to go to that concert too, at that time I even was in Scandinavia - for the first time in my life... But on the day of the concert I was still hiking with my friends at Hardangervidda, enjoying unbelievably beautiful nature and very pleasant weather. My heart was aching that I couldn't go to Sweden for just that one day, there were nine of us and unfortunately I was the only Hollies fan Crying or Very sad
But I was with all of you in my thougts, and at least I tried to sing Very Last Day, which is one of my most favourite songs Smile And I am happy you enjoyed the concert so much.
I love Sweden for the good taste in music - not only the Hollies' chart successes but also for The Tages and The Mascots, very good Swedish 60's bands.
And I love Norway - not only for the nature. When we were leaving Oslo on our last day there, we turned on the radio - and there was Listen To Me on the air. Such a symbolic good-bye. I hope to get back soon. For many reasons.
PostPosted:Sun Aug 13, 2006 1:12 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
John Truman Post subject: Dalhalla, Sweden
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Hi Sune,

Yes, I prefer the concert halls too, as there is much more of an atmosphere but the outdoor concerts make a pleasant change, especially this one in Dalhalla.

Try and come over to a venue or two during the next UK tour (hopefully next year!) and you can judge for yourself.

PostPosted:Tue Aug 15, 2006 13:33 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Knut Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Helllo, Sune.
I tend to agree with John. Nothing can beat a Hollies show on homeground with a perfect sound and more warm athmosphere like in Buxton or Canterbury. A couple of the middle sized venues in Manchester or Liverpool can also be very good. The Bridgewater hall or the Lowry are of course more prestigious, but a bit cold.

PostPosted:Mon Aug 21, 2006 16:19 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Out On The Road
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic

Page 1 of 1