graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Reflections Of A Time Long Past » A Crazy Steal
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
DistantLight Post subject: A Crazy Steal
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Weeeelll... very ugly artwork this time but I've said it all before!
This one is even more ballad heavy than "Another Night" but just like that one it's got some very strong songs on it. The album opens with the beautiful ballad "Writing On The Wall" which has got perfect harmonies as always and a very tasteful arrangement. The only non-ballads are the jazzy/funky discoish "Caracas" and "Let It Pour", the pretty stupid "Clown Service", which doesn't belong to the highlights of the album and the great poppy Rock'n'Roll number "Burn Out" which is one of my favorite Hollies tunes. I would rate the first side a bit stronger than the second one due to fantastic songs like "What Am I Gonna Do", which features falsetto vocals by Allan and a cool e-guitar in the chorus, "Hello To Romance", one of their best ballads ever, perfect string arrangement, and the before mentioned "Burn Out". The only songs not written by Clarke/Sylvester/Hicks are the two ballads "Amnesty" and "Boulder To Birmingham". The first one has a nice acappella intro and the second one's got a guitar intro similar in style to "The Air That I Breathe".
This is also the last album with original songs on it... OK 5317704 had one (but maybe they change that with their new album...?).
The instrument that dominates "A Crazy Steal" is the piano although there are a few outstanding guitar parts and as usual strong drumming.

Best songs: Burn Out, Hello To Romance, Writing On The Wall, What Am I Gonna Do

Worst song: Clown Service

Rating: 8 out of 10
PostPosted:Mon May 30, 2005 12:41 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
James Towill Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

I agree on your choice of best and worst song, but what about Feet On The Ground? I think it is outrageously brilliant Laughing

PostPosted:Mon May 30, 2005 16:10 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
SpartyScott Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

The description of this Forum index is "Review your favourite album here."

Is "A Crazy Steal" really anyone's favorite Hollies LP?
PostPosted:Mon May 30, 2005 17:27 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
DistantLight Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

James, I've never cared much about "Feet On the Ground", when it's on I enjoy it and it's a good song but as soon as it's over I have forgotten it, just like "Off The Record" from Allan's "I Wasn't Born Yesterday"-album.

And Sparty, I review not only my favorite album/s because if everybody in this forum would do so, we would only get completely positive reviews which would be boring, too. And yes, if we would only review our favorite albums I think very few people would review "A Crazy Steal" but what's more questionable is: would anyone review "Buddy Holly"? I should give that one a listen again, only listened to it I think two or three times but I couldn't find many good things to say about that one.
PostPosted:Mon May 30, 2005 20:38 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Susie Hewett Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Hi Distantlight Exclamation

I like A Crazy Steal and think it is an excellent album and one of The Hollies' best, although they could have but a better photo on the front cover and did something better with the back cover as well.

Best Songs -- Boulder To Birmingham, Amnesty, Hello To Romance and Burn Out
Worst Song -- Clown Service

Rating - 9 out of 10

Best Wishes

Susie

PostPosted:Tue May 31, 2005 2:49 am
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

I quite like Buddy Holly, I often play this album along with What Goes Around as they are both very modern sounding, compared with the classic 70's material.

PostPosted:Tue May 31, 2005 16:17 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
brandy Post subject:
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

I may be making a fool of myself again, but I've always rather liked "Clown Service". Bluesier than most of the band's material, and "out from under the formula" for a change, which may explain why most fans don't care for it.

Maybe this song is what Hicks was threatening on 'Reunion' when he said "we're just going to play the blues from now on". Or "Perfect Lady Housewife"...

"Burn Out" is yet another fine R'n'R "thank you" from Clarke to the man from Asbury Park.

PostPosted:Tue May 31, 2005 17:37 pm
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Anthony Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

I have to say I was not that keen on this Hollies album, I did like Burn Out, just thought it all too boring. I have always liked the faster numbers.
Thanks,
Anthony

PostPosted:Thu Jun 16, 2005 12:52 pm
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Listened to this album last night - I think it really is an overlooked gem.

PostPosted:Fri Jan 13, 2006 20:46 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
MichealC Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

I agree, James. I don't care for Burn Out, Carracas or Clown Service but the rest is first rate. I've never heard another Hollies album with such mood, ambiance and atmosphere. The writing is excellent on the bulk of the numbers. It just sounds great.

Michael
PostPosted:Fri Jan 13, 2006 21:10 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Yes, Michael, I agree, the writing is top drawer. I don't really mind Burn Out or Carracas but Clown Service is a little bit annoying and is the only track which could be dispensed with.

PostPosted:Sat Jan 14, 2006 8:21 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
speedwaybloke Post subject: Crazy Steal Favourite
Banjo

Banjo

I agree with most of Distant Light's posting. However I would say Burnout is the worst and Clown Service is a good bluesy tune quite different from other offerings. My two favourite tracks are Hello To Romance and Feet on the Ground. Both brilliant ballads that have all of the Hollies best features.
PostPosted:Mon Jan 16, 2006 1:06 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Lou Post subject:
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

SpartyScott wrote:
The description of this Forum index is "Review your favourite album here."

Is "A Crazy Steal" really anyone's favorite Hollies LP?

yes. Cool

But it's in a tie with a gaggle of others. Wink
I dig it from start to finish .
To my ears there is no best and worst on it.

From the way groovy lead on caracas to the clever way
the lyrics of Clown Service all hook up together near
the end of the tune.

A Crazy Steal has a sophisticated almost jazzy feel at times
and at other times rocks, makes you want to dance &
can tug at your heart strings too. Plus , it sounds like
more than a couple of good singles were on it .
(Amnesty, Boulder,Feet,Hello.)
What more could you ask for ?

I'm not saying, I'm just saying. Mr. Green

PostPosted:Wed May 02, 2007 5:54 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
benny-b-goode Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Yes, I like that album, as well, and I still wonder where the Magic Records release is. It is the only Hollies album not released by Magic Records yet. I thought it would be released before "Buddy Holly" but this wasn't the case.
I hope that it won't take too long until there will be a Magic Records release of "A Crazy Steal" with "Crossfire" (B-side of "Amnesty") as a Bonus track.
PostPosted:Wed May 02, 2007 9:41 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

I just listened to Magic Records' CD of "A Crazy Steal", and yes, "Crossfire" is tagged on the end. This is a pretty solid album really. I also don't care much for the cover art; the band looks not only thirsty but hungry (for a hit perhaps?). Anyway, it's a good listen pretty much all the way through, as is "5317704". I agree with the opinion that "Feet On The Ground" is excellent, definitely the most memorable track, and a fine one to end the album with. It reminds me a bit of how The Rolling Stones ended "Sticky Fingers" with "Moonlight Mile", also a majestic-sounding number. I like "Clown Service" a lot; it has a good vibe, good lyrics, and a sense of humor, always a good thing for The Hollies. The tracks that I don't care for very much are "What Am I Gonna Do" (falsetto singing usually bugs me) and "Burn Out", another Stringbeen-ish track. "Writing On The Wall" (the band's final US Epic single, released in a slightly edited version), "Amnesty", "Hello To Romance", and "Boulder To Birmingham" are good ballads which failed as singles, but are pleasant enough. Overall, a tad too middle-of-the-road, but not without its appeal. Rating: 7 out of 10.
PostPosted:Sat Oct 13, 2007 16:05 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Reflections Of A Time Long Past
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic

Goto page 1, 2  Next