graphic
Goto page 1, 2  Next
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Reflections Of A Time Long Past » FAvorite Allan Clarke Solo Tracks
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Otis Robb Post subject: FAvorite Allan Clarke Solo Tracks
Banjo

Banjo

Okay, get the missiles ready one more time (ha-ha), I thought most of his solo stuff missed the mark entirely (though I havent heard the lastest one yet) However, redemption is in order...

1) Let Us Prey - it has a slight 'gospel' tinge and with its tongue in cheek title and lyrical content makes it a superb track. Allan does some nice uptempo acoustic strumming here. Solid.

2. Ruby- In general Allan didnt do too many rockers, but this one had the energy that in my estimation was a good successor to Long Cool Woman.
Superb brass arrangement weaved througout the comp

(Just wish the rest of the record held up to those two toons)

Oh yeah, speaking of worst album covers. Maybe this was suppose to a joke or something, but the metamophasis of Allan undressing was too lame to be hystrical. Ooops! Till the next...

PostPosted:Wed Oct 13, 2004 15:05 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Anthony Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Hi Otis,

Mary Skeffington / Just love soft voice here
Blinded by the light / Allan could R'n"R with the best
Castles in the wind / Love the words
I wasn't born yesterday / Fantastic beat
Who's goin' out the back door? / Like a soap,

PostPosted:Wed Oct 13, 2004 21:48 pm
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Otis Robb Post subject: His version of 'Born to Run"
Banjo

Banjo

Just for the sheer guts for doing it to the chagrin of the Springsteen fans who feel nothing could be recorded by THE BOSS. I wish Allan did more than those 3 Springsteen numbers, since there have been not too many English artists who have (w/o the exception of Manfred Mann's Earth Band)
Anthony, 'Blinded' was a kicker too, as you mentioned...Allan rocking with the best of them.

PostPosted:Thu Oct 14, 2004 22:02 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Susie Hewett Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Hi Guys Exclamation

I have always loved Allan Clarke and he is one of the greatest singers of all time. My favourite solo tracks by Allan area as follows

I Wasn't Born Yesterday

I'm Betting My Life On You

Light Of My Smiles

Slipstream

Walls

Sanctuary

I don't have a reason for liking these songs, I just like them.

All The Best

Susie
PostPosted:Fri Oct 15, 2004 3:30 am
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Anthony Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Hi Otis,
Allan was a huge Springsteen fan. Great list of songs too Susie, I also love Slipstream.
Bye all,
Anthony

PostPosted:Fri Oct 15, 2004 11:30 am
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Susanne Post subject:

Hi all
I can't choose just loves them all. Allan wasn't only a huge Springsteen fan, he even discovered him as a young songwriter way back in the seventies. Very Happy
PostPosted:Wed Dec 01, 2004 11:33 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
loenen16 Post subject:
Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar

heey susanne nice to join this here group
to be honest one off the finest albums from allan
my real name is arold and i am nederlander and witin a month time i live in almelo i have the record but not for sale . sorry bout that
groeten bernard
PostPosted:Wed Dec 01, 2004 18:01 pm
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
butterflybye Post subject:
Banjo

Banjo

He had some newer albums which I thought were great (can't think of the titles though!).
PostPosted:Sun Mar 05, 2006 19:35 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
James Towill Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

I Wasn't Born Yesterday is a class solo album. Bruce Springsteen Live Hammersmith Odeon 1975 2CD is out just now - really well worth a listen, as is the 2DVD/CD 30th Anniversary Edition of 'Born To Run'. Amazing stuff.

PostPosted:Sun Mar 05, 2006 20:13 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject: Re: FAvorite Allan Clarke Solo Tracks
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Otis Robb wrote:
Okay, get the missiles ready one more time (ha-ha), I thought most of his solo stuff missed the mark entirely (though I havent heard the lastest one yet) However, redemption is in order...

1) Let Us Prey - it has a slight 'gospel' tinge and with its tongue in cheek title and lyrical content makes it a superb track. Allan does some nice uptempo acoustic strumming here. Solid.

2. Ruby- In general Allan didnt do too many rockers, but this one had the energy that in my estimation was a good successor to Long Cool Woman.
Superb brass arrangement weaved througout the comp

(Just wish the rest of the record held up to those two toons)

Oh yeah, speaking of worst album covers. Maybe this was suppose to a joke or something, but the metamophasis of Allan undressing was too lame to be hystrical. Ooops! Till the next...

Allan was quoted as saying that he thought the best thing about "My Real Name is 'arold" was the cover! I agree; it is great. It was done by Hypnosis, the same company that did the covers for "Distant Light", "Romany", and "Hollies" ('74). It is in keeping with the Hypnosis style; in other words, it's a sophisticated cover design. It is lame of you to fail to appreciate it. I also think it is his best solo album. It's too bad it's not available on CD. In the US, a large sticker was on the front, with the words "Solo debut by Allan Clarke, former lead singer of The Hollies".
PostPosted:Mon Mar 06, 2006 20:30 pm

Last edited by Dennis on Tue Mar 07, 2006 5:10 am; edited 1 time in total
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

It is available on CD, on BGO records as a 2CD with two of his other solo albums.

PostPosted:Mon Mar 06, 2006 21:49 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

James Towill wrote:
It is available on CD, on BGO records as a 2CD with two of his other solo albums.

Wrong. That compilation contains his second, third, and fourth solo albums. The first, "My Real Name is 'arold", originally on RCA in the UK and Epic in the US, has yet to receive a CD release.
My favorite from Clarke's debut solo LP: "Nature's Way of Saying Goodbye". It should have been the first single, instead of "Ruby" (US and Canada) and "You're Losing Me" (UK).
PostPosted:Tue Mar 07, 2006 5:15 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Right enough, I was thinking of Headroom Embarassed

I do remember someone from Germany contacting me when I was on The Hollies Yahoogroup saying that MRNI'A was to be released on CD in Germany, but alas nothing.

PostPosted:Tue Mar 07, 2006 7:12 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
håkan strandberg Post subject:
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

I agree with Susie Allan Clarke have a fantastick voice.My favorite solo tracks by Allan is.

1.Slipstream
2.Walls
3.Brandenburg Plaza
4.Who`s going out the back door
5The Survivor
6.Shadow in the street
7.Legendary Heros
8.If you walked away
9.I wasn`t born yesterday
10.Imaginations child

Have a nice day. Håkan.
PostPosted:Mon Aug 04, 2008 19:32 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
benny-b-goode Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

My favourite Allan Clarke solo tracks are:
1. Light Of My Smiles - absolutely loved that one from the first listening on youtube; heard it and loved the melody and the good feeling you get while listening to this song; Allan's voice underlines the change from softness to louder passages in the song perfectly
2. The Survivor - a masterpiece and wonderful lyrics; music, instrumentation, lyrics and mood fit together perfectly; great to listen to the softness of the song, and when you think it's over it starts rocking; GREAT!; should have been on the "Highlander" soundtrack; if Queen would have recorded it it would have been a major hit
3. I'm Betting My Life On You - my favourite love song of his
4. Legendary Heroes - great song I can identify with because I also was and still am a lover of superheroes anyhow; again I love the mood and instrumentation which fit with the lyrics perfectly
5. People Of That Kind - great song and my favourite one from "Headroom" and of the whole BGO double-CD; nice lyrics

Those are my five favourite Allan Clarke solo songs until now. I have never listened to his first album and his last one "Reasons To Believe" from 1989. I still am waiting for the CD releases. Maybe then I will have new favourites although it's hard to match the quality of those five songs I have selected.

Thanks, Allan, for those great solo songs. Very Happy
PostPosted:Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:26 am
graphic
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Reflections Of A Time Long Past
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic