graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Boys In The Band » Ex-Hollies On Hollies
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
James Towill Post subject: Ex-Hollies On Hollies
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Further to holliesfan's post, here's one to ponder: what have ex-Hollies said about their replacements/new lineup's after their tenure with the band has ended?

I know from a Terry Sylvester interview that Graham Nash was very complementary about his replacement and material on the Hollies Sing Hollies album.

I always thought Allan might have let slip some opinions about Carl Wayne.

Anybody have any ideas on this topic?

PostPosted:Tue May 02, 2006 20:58 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

My question is; where is the autobiography that Allan Clarke was supposedly writing? I think it would be rather interesting to read. I don't know about Clarke's take on Carl Wayne, but he's been complementary regarding Mikael Rickfors, saying he felt that Rickfors was "picking up where Scott Walker left off". I've always favored comparing Rickfors' singing with that of Scott Walker's, rather than some of the other singers he's been compared to. As for Sylvester and Calvert, they haven't had anything good to say about their exits from the band. A shame.
PostPosted:Tue May 02, 2006 22:33 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Anthony Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

I have never liked the way the Hollies treat ex members, it's one of the few things the band does badly.
One thing I have to say is when I saw Carl with the band in 2001 he had some nice things to say about Allan Clarke.

PostPosted:Wed May 03, 2006 4:55 am
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Shelley Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Anthony wrote:
I have never liked the way the Hollies treat ex members, it's one of the few things the band does badly.

Is this something they do then? They aren't the type who also forget their roots and the fact their fans put them where they are, are they?
PostPosted:Wed May 03, 2006 7:09 am
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
carol7cat Post subject:
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

Please be assured Shelley that the guys are not in the slightest bit like that!
Joanne and I have stayed in the same hotels with them over the years. We have had drinks with them, been given lifts home and always been looked out for extremely well.
May I add not in return for anything!!!
They are in every true sense gentlemen, and I don't care how old fashioned that sounds!
That is one of the many reasons that make them the band they are today. Laughing
PostPosted:Wed May 03, 2006 8:06 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Shelley Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

carol7cat wrote:
Please be assured Shelley that the guys are not in the slightest bit like that!

Thanks for the reply Carol, I was getting a bit worried there.

Why are comments like that said though, that's what I'd like to know, do The Hollies not talk about ex members, but it's seen as ex members are treated badly by The Hollies or have comments been said in a bad way about ex members, supossedly coming from The Hollies?

Don't forget guys I am a new Hollies fan, so anything that has happened in the past isn't known to me, until people make the odd comment here and there.
PostPosted:Wed May 03, 2006 9:45 am
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Anthony Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Hi Shelley,
The trouble is they never say anything about ex members, I'm sure they are all nice guys but if anybody has some old tour programmes from the 90's have a look at how they have cut Eric's photo out of the photos, I know I'm not the only person that's noticed.
I said in a message some place here before that when Allan Coates left, nobody was told, he was just there one day and gone the next. I can't remember any statement saying he was leaving or had left.
I'm not being negative as it must sound but it's something I feel.
I try and always be honest and say what I feel, hey it's how I see things.
thanks,
Anthony

PostPosted:Wed May 03, 2006 12:18 pm
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Shelley Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Anthony wrote:
Hi Shelley,
The trouble is they never say anything about ex members, I'm sure they are all nice guys but if anybody has some old tour programmes from the 90's have a look at how they have cut Eric's photo out of the photos, I know I'm not the only person that's noticed.
I said in a message some place here before that when Allan Coates left, nobody was told, he was just there one day and gone the next. I can't remember any statement saying he was leaving or had left.
I'm not being negative as it must sound but it's something I feel.
I try and always be honest and say what I feel, hey it's how I see things.
thanks,
Anthony

Hi Anthony,

If they don't say anything about ex members, then that's a bit bad, I hope it's not a case of, now that member is no longer with them then that person don't exist anymore, after all before the next person came along, the previous one helped keep the band together.

How do you mean they cut Eric's photo out of the photo's, could you send me a picture so I can see what you mean as I'm interested.

If no statement was issued as to Allan Coates departure, then that's bad management or were they hoping that their FANS would not notice?

Shel Wink
PostPosted:Wed May 03, 2006 14:11 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
James Towill Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

There's plenty of gossip abounding about Eric Haydock and Alan Coates - whether it is rooted in fact is where the problem begins.

I'd have to agree with Anthony - it is very much in one door out another, no appreciation for the time the member has spent with the band.

PostPosted:Wed May 03, 2006 15:30 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
SpartyScott Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Eric Haydock, I understand, was using the word "Hollies" a bit too prominently in advertisements promoting his current group. So, I can understand the band not liking that, as they wouldn't want Hollies fans to show up at a Haydock event expecting to see the real Hollies. That said, I'll guess that his act probabaly sounds more like an old Hollies concert that the real band does!

In general, though, I do think that it would be gracious for the group to publically act a little more appreciative of the contributions of musicians like Terry Sylvester and Bernie Calvert.
PostPosted:Wed May 03, 2006 15:37 pm

Last edited by SpartyScott on Fri May 05, 2006 13:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
holliesfan Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

SpartyScott wrote:
Eric Haydock, I understand, was using the word "Hollies" a bit too prominently in advertisements promoting his current group. So, I can understand the band not likely that, as they wouldn't want Hollies fans to show up at a Haydock event expecting to see the real Hollies. That said, I'll guess that his act probabaly sounds more like an old Hollies concert that the real band does!

In general, though, I do think that it would be gracious for the group to publically act a little more appreciative of the contributions of musicians like Terry Sylvester and Bernie Calvert.

I agree that Terry and Bernie deserve alot more kudos for their work with the band. Should the Hollies ever be voted(don't hold your breath) into the R&R Hall of Fame I think Terry, Bernie and perhaps even Eric should be on stage to revel in the induction.
PostPosted:Wed May 03, 2006 17:07 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
James Towill Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

SpartyScott wrote:

Well said.

PostPosted:Wed May 03, 2006 18:22 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Johngill Post subject:
Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar

SpartyScott wrote:
Eric Haydock . . . That said, I'll guess that his act probabaly sounds more like an old Hollies concert that the real band does!.

why?
PostPosted:Thu May 04, 2006 8:46 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
SpartyScott Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Johngill wrote:
SpartyScott wrote:
Eric Haydock . . . That said, I'll guess that his act probabaly sounds more like an old Hollies concert that the real band does!.

why?

Because I suspect that any band with him, pretending to be The Hollies, will try to sound like a 60's band. That's something that the Hollies make no pretense of being.
PostPosted:Thu May 04, 2006 11:25 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
loenen16 Post subject:
Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar

as a fan being to see them in eastbourne at the meet and greet by invitation from carousel
heard two major things
one: the hollies looking forward to the future and repecting the past on their old members
two : Allan is often in america and sometimes he see s them and speaks with them ,that is what i ve heard .
there is something that maybe is a crazy wish from me
that all off the present and past hollies making a christmas song
new written by the band produced by them and publish it
as something very rare .its never done before
that fact makes it very unique
and would give some people very much to talk about
greeting bernard

Very Happy Idea
PostPosted:Mon Jun 05, 2006 9:23 am
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Boys In The Band
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Page 1 of 2