graphic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Words and Music » "Staying Power": Is it Rock & Roll?
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

23 Years is a LONG time between albums, so it's not like there's any mad rush by the public to buy new Hollies product. The music industry is run by numbers, and first week sales are usually the best for a new CD. But in the case of "Staying Power" I think it will generate sales over a period of time. I don't know how sales are measured in the UK, but if a new US release fails to make the Billboard Top 200 in its first week, it is considered something of a flop. It's failed to reach the public it was intended for.
PostPosted:Fri May 12, 2006 21:44 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
holliesfan Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Dennis wrote:
If a new US release fails to make the Billboard Top 200 in its first week, it is considered something of a flop. It's failed to reach the public it was intended for.

What does it take to get Staying Power released in the US?
PostPosted:Fri May 12, 2006 23:42 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

holliesfan wrote:
Dennis wrote:
If a new US release fails to make the Billboard Top 200 in its first week, it is considered something of a flop. It's failed to reach the public it was intended for.

Good question. EMI here in the US did release that 2 CD Greatest Hits package with the Carl Wayne track, so it seems logical that SP should get issued here. But when? If it doesn't come out within the next few months, I imagine it never will.
PostPosted:Sat May 13, 2006 7:00 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
holliesfan Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Dennis wrote:
holliesfan wrote:
Dennis wrote:

Good question. EMI here in the US did release that 2 CD Greatest Hits package with the Carl Wayne track, so it seems logical that SP should get issued here. But when? If it doesn't come out within the next few months, I imagine it never will.

Dennis - I appreciate your insight, however I guess the greater question would be can anyone from the Hollies management [or the band itself] now prompt EMI US to negotiate a stateside release? Or does the decision solely rest upon the shoulders of the key stakeholders at EMI to make that determination? Somehow I feel there was a total lack of effort or interest on the part of EMI. This of course derailed any chance the album had to make it into the mainstream marketplace in the first place.
PostPosted:Sat May 13, 2006 13:19 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

holliesfan wrote:
Dennis wrote:
holliesfan wrote:
Dennis wrote:

Dennis - I appreciate your insight, however I guess the greater question would be can anyone from the Hollies management [or the band itself] now prompt EMI US to negotiate a stateside release? Or does the decision solely rest upon the shoulders of the key stakeholders at EMI to make that determination? Somehow I feel there was a total lack of effort or interest on the part of EMI. This of course derailed any chance the album had to make it into the mainstream marketplace in the first place.

I only mentioned the Greatest Hits package because it's on the EMI label. So apparently they're signed to EMI in the US as well, which means that SP could still get issued here. The decision might rest on whether or not the band would be willing to come to the US to promote it. Seems pretty senseless to release it unless some live appearances would go along with it. It would have little impact without that boost.
PostPosted:Sat May 13, 2006 16:14 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
holliesfan Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Dennis wrote:
I only mentioned the Greatest Hits package because it's on the EMI label. So apparently they're signed to EMI in the US as well, which means that SP could still get issued here. The decision might rest on whether or not the band would be willing to come to the US to promote it. Seems pretty senseless to release it unless some live appearances would go along with it. It would have little impact without that boost.

Historically, hasn't that always been the Hollies achilles heel....touring the US to promote their current album release? Follow-up is such a key factor in remaining in the eye of the record(CD) buying crowd. If they are who they purport to be(not a band looking backwards but one looking towards the future)than they MUST seize this opportunity to advance Staying Power in the US. It's obvious that their attempts in the UK have failed to hit the mark.
PostPosted:Sun May 14, 2006 12:30 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

holliesfan wrote:
Dennis wrote:

Historically, hasn't that always been the Hollies achilles heel....touring the US to promote their current album release? Follow-up is such a key factor in remaining in the eye of the record(CD) buying crowd. If they are who they purport to be(not a band looking backwards but one looking towards the future)than they MUST seize this opportunity to advance Staying Power in the US. It's obvious that their attempts in the UK have failed to hit the mark.

I agree totally. If they were smart they would abandon further attempts to promote it in the UK and Europe, arrange for a US release, and simultaneously tour the US. A strategic plan is necessary, but they have tended in the past to be reactive instead of proactive when it comes to promoting themselves in America, coming over when they had a hit record.
PostPosted:Mon May 15, 2006 6:20 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
holliesfan Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Dennis wrote:
holliesfan wrote:
Dennis wrote:

I agree totally. If they were smart they would abandon further attempts to promote it in the UK and Europe, arrange for a US release, and simultaneously tour the US. A strategic plan is necessary, but they have tended in the past to be reactive instead of proactive when it comes to promoting themselves in America, coming over when they had a hit record.

I have the strongest of feelings that a US release of "So Damn Beautiful"/Staying Power could open up a whole new vista for the Hollies. There are several songs on the album that could spark a resurgence for the band here in the states. However, I get the sinking feeling that you and I and a host of others on this website are only "preaching to the choir" about the band and that no one else is listening. If anything is to happen in the US, the Hollies management would need to step up to the plate and go to bat for the band. Otherwise Staying Power will just slip away into oblivion. This will certainly not be a good tablesetter for the next album, should the band decide to record again.
PostPosted:Mon May 15, 2006 10:48 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

holliesfan wrote:
Dennis wrote:
holliesfan wrote:
Dennis wrote:

I have the strongest of feelings that a US release of "So Damn Beautiful"/Staying Power could open up a whole new vista for the Hollies. There are several songs on the album that could spark a resurgence for the band here in the states. However, I get the sinking feeling that you and I and a host of others on this website are only "preaching to the choir" about the band and that no one else is listening. If anything is to happen in the US, the Hollies management would need to step up to the plate and go to bat for the band. Otherwise Staying Power will just slip away into oblivion. This will certainly not be a good tablesetter for the next album, should the band decide to record again.

In my judgement, there is nothing left for them to do at this point BUT secure a US release and give the US a shot at embracing the new music and lineup. If they want to continue, this is what they need to do. American acts tend to go over very well in the UK, and vice versa. For them to disregard the US is a big mistake. It has always been a sore spot for them, not concentrating enough on North America. With a concerted effort involving all parties, a renaissance for the band could happen. I can imagine it, but then I can also imagine world peace. Just call me optimistic.
PostPosted:Tue May 16, 2006 2:38 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
holliesfan Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Dennis wrote:
holliesfan wrote:
Dennis wrote:
holliesfan wrote:
Dennis wrote:

In my judgement, there is nothing left for them to do at this point BUT secure a US release and give the US a shot at embracing the new music and lineup. If they want to continue, this is what they need to do. American acts tend to go over very well in the UK, and vice versa. For them to disregard the US is a big mistake. It has always been a sore spot for them, not concentrating enough on North America. With a concerted effort involving all parties, a renaissance for the band could happen. I can imagine it, but then I can also imagine world peace. Just call me optimistic.

So what is the next step? Is there a chance Rob can speak with Jimmy Smith to ask if he can expedite a US release of the album? Who exactly is responsible for jumpstarting these efforts? Someone has to take charge of steering this ship.
PostPosted:Tue May 16, 2006 11:03 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

holliesfan wrote:
Dennis wrote:
holliesfan wrote:
Dennis wrote:
holliesfan wrote:
Dennis wrote:

So what is the next step? Is there a chance Rob can speak with Jimmy Smith to ask if he can expedite a US release of the album? Who exactly is responsible for jumpstarting these efforts? Someone has to take charge of steering this ship.

It begs the question, do the parties involved actually CARE if SP gets a US release? The band always does extensive touring in the UK & Europe; it's a safe journey. But if their new music is really worthwhile, they can't possibly leave the US out of the picture. Or can they? Without a US release, SP can only be viewed as an insignificant work. The US gave the band one of their last really big hits ("Long Cool Woman"), as well as several other only-in-America hits ("Pay You Back with Interest", "Long Dark Road", and "Stop in the Name of Love".) Or have they forgotten, the way they've forgotten about ex-members of the band?
PostPosted:Tue May 16, 2006 21:12 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
holliesfan Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Dennis wrote:
holliesfan wrote:
Dennis wrote:
holliesfan wrote:
Dennis wrote:
holliesfan wrote:
Dennis wrote:

It begs the question, do the parties involved actually CARE if SP gets a US release? The band always does extensive touring in the UK & Europe; it's a safe journey. But if their new music is really worthwhile, they can't possibly leave the US out of the picture. Or can they? Without a US release, SP can only be viewed as an insignificant work. The US gave the band one of their last really big hits ("Long Cool Woman"), as well as several other only-in-America hits ("Pay You Back with Interest", "Long Dark Road", and "Stop in the Name of Love".) Or have they forgotten, the way they've forgotten about ex-members of the band?

The "parties involved"....those are the operative words. Just who are the parties involved? Does the ultimate decision lie with the Jimmy Smith Agency or EMI? Again I dare say, who must take the lead in expediting the release of the new album? Is there someone we can call or write to to get things started?
PostPosted:Wed May 17, 2006 11:27 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

I would SO love to see SP in the "new releases" section of my favorite record store (Amoeba in Hollywood), liberating The Hollies from the "oldies" section. It irritates me how some long-defunct bands are in the regular section (The Move, Manfred Mann, Mott the Hoople), yet The Hollies (who never broke up in 40+ years) always get regulated to the oldies bin. Their place in rock history is secure, but it needs an upgrade. By the way, Amoeba (THE place to go for music in Los Angeles) has not stocked the import SP; neither has Virgin Records. I saw one copy at Tower Records on the Sunset Strip. And this is the music capitol of the WORLD.
PostPosted:Wed May 17, 2006 22:35 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Anthony Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Hi all,
Sadly Staying Power is no place to be found in the record shops here in Melbourne Australia in the oldies section or the new releases. In the end I think it's really up to EMI, maybe it's just the way the contract is for this album.
I would imagine it's only for UK and Europe release, places the Hollies were at their biggest and would have a larger chance to sell.
Sadly it's a young persons market out there, hey it's always been that way.

PostPosted:Wed May 17, 2006 23:54 pm
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
holliesfan Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Anthony wrote:
Hi all,
Sadly Staying Power is no place to be found in the record shops here in Melbourne Australia in the oldies section or the new releases. In the end I think it's really up to EMI, maybe it's just the way the contract is for this album.
I would imagine it's only for UK and Europe release, places the Hollies were at their biggest and would have a larger chance to sell.
Sadly it's a young persons market out there, hey it's always been that way.

Anthony,

You raise a very valid point. I wonder what the language of the Hollies/EMI UK contract states as regards promotion of the new album. Is it possible it has some wording about a US album release effort? Someone needs to be held accountable for why this current body of work has essentially fallen flat. Would be nice to know if any forum members have an "in" with EMI so we can clear up this oversight.
PostPosted:Thu May 18, 2006 15:39 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Words and Music
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3