graphic
Goto page 1, 2  Next
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Words and Music » Musical instrument called a recorder - what is it
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
SpartyScott Post subject: Musical instrument called a recorder - what is it
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

I'm not a musician, if you don't count the five chords I know how to play on an acoustic guitar. But that doesn't mean I don't have a keen interest in music, and in how it's made by the pros.

Today in another thread I was reminded of the instrument called a "recorder," as used on the song "Nearer To You."

This is a pretty cool sounding instrument, as that song and Badfinger's masterpiece "Timeless" use it to great effect.

So here's my question, directed at you musician-types: What the heck IS a recorder, what does it look like, how is it played, and all that stuff?

TIA

Scott
PostPosted:Tue Apr 18, 2006 20:45 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
SpartyScott Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

And by the way, I hate it when my subject lines get truncated!

Sad
PostPosted:Tue Apr 18, 2006 20:46 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
DistantLight Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

A recorder is a flute. It's the instruments most young kids start playing (at least in Germany they do). It was the first instrument I've ever learned to play.

It does sound nice on "Nearer To You", I don't kniow the Badfinger song though. One of the greatest uses of this instrument is on "Your Move" by Yes (if that is a recorder and not another kind of flute).
PostPosted:Tue Apr 18, 2006 21:11 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Shelley Post subject: What is a Recorder?
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

If a recorder is what I think it is, then it is a wind instrument, similar looking to an Irish Tin Whistle (I think they are called that!). It's something that most little girls like to play.

It has holes down the front (about eight), which depending on which notes you are playing you cover some or all of them up with your fingers, and one hole at the back which when played sometimes your thumb covers it up depending on which note you are playing.

They can come in plastic or wood.

Here is a link to some recorders to give you an idea:

http://www.musicroom.com/Browse/Arrangement.aspx?category_id=store5_category32_arrangement66&kbid=1143
PostPosted:Tue Apr 18, 2006 21:13 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

The song Timeless ends Badfinger's album "Ass," which was the last LP that the band made for Apple before their ill-fated switch to Warner Brothers.

It's an astonishing piece of music, which I can hardly describe except to note that it has an incredible hard rocking guitar jam to close it out not unlike, I guess, the Beatles' "I Want You (She's So Heavy)". It's a zillion times better song than that Beatles number, though. I think that Ass is currently unavailable, but I'm sure that old copies of the LP are out there in used record stores. If you like the Badfinger sound (and 99% of Hollies fans probably do), then that is a must-have album.

And thanks for the info about the recorder. When I was a kid, we called our first instrument in school a "song flute," which was made of one-piece plastic, was held more like a clarinet than a real flute, and cost about ten dollars or less to purchase.

Laughing I'm guessing that the instrument used by the Hollies and by Badfigner was a bit more substantial.
PostPosted:Tue Apr 18, 2006 21:18 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
hollies Post subject:

Site Admin

Scott

Then shorten your titles Wink

Hollies Forum
PostPosted:Tue Apr 18, 2006 21:33 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

hollies wrote:
Scott

Then shorten your titles Wink

Evil or Very Mad
PostPosted:Wed Apr 19, 2006 0:18 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Susie Hewett Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Hi Shelley Exclamation

You described what a recorded is perfectly. When my brother was about 9 he had a flute-like instrument made of wood with about 8 holes down the front and it was called a recorder. My brother played it in the school band, I was was also in the band as one of 3 singers (2 girls and a boy).

Susie

Smile Very Happy Cool Razz

PostPosted:Fri Apr 21, 2006 11:02 am
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Shelley Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Susie Hewett wrote:
Hi Shelley Exclamation

You described what a recorded is perfectly. When my brother was about 9 he had a flute-like instrument made of wood with about 8 holes down the front and it was called a recorder. My brother played it in the school band, I was was also in the band as one of 3 singers (2 girls and a boy).

Susie

Smile Very Happy Cool Razz

Thanks and Hi Susie,

I used to play one when I was a little girl as well, my only regret was not keeping it up, but I could play 3 blind mice on it and another song, I think it was Jingle Bells.

Shelley Very Happy
PostPosted:Fri Apr 21, 2006 11:20 am
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
joannelaing Post subject:

I can play London's Burning!!
PostPosted:Fri Apr 21, 2006 16:28 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Shelley Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

joannelaing wrote:
I can play London's Burning!!

It might have been that one and not Jingle Bells that I could play.

Shelley Very Happy
PostPosted:Fri Apr 21, 2006 16:30 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
KingRickfors Post subject:

SpartyScott mentioned Timeless by Badfinger ........ he's quite right, a fantastic song by a fantastic band ........ perhaps the Hollies should be looking through the Badfinger songbook for some undiscovered gems for their next album .......rather than Julio Iglesias Rolling Eyes
PostPosted:Mon Apr 24, 2006 8:27 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
CeireB Post subject: Re: What is a Recorder?
Banjo

Banjo

Shelley wrote:
If a recorder is what I think it is, then it is a wind instrument, similar looking to an Irish Tin Whistle (I think they are called that!). It's something that most little girls like to play.

Yep, tin whistles here alright, used to be known as penny whistles, and are played particularly well by traditional musicians here.

Recorders are slightly different though, in that they produce lower notes than the tin whistle. Also I think recorder's are normally one piece, and tin whistles have two bits.

The nuns used to make us learn the recorder in school! The plastic ones.
PostPosted:Tue May 23, 2006 20:39 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
DistantLight Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Quote:
Also I think recorder's are normally one piece, and tin whistles have two bits

Good recorders made of wood have always two pieces, too. Might be different with the plastic ones Very Happy
PostPosted:Wed May 24, 2006 9:15 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Shelley Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

DistantLight wrote:
Quote:
Also I think recorder's are normally one piece, and tin whistles have two bits

Good recorders made of wood have always two pieces, too. Might be different with the plastic ones Very Happy

The plastic one I had was a two piece. Wonder if they now do them as a one piece.
PostPosted:Wed May 24, 2006 10:10 am
graphic
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Words and Music
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Page 1 of 2