graphic
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Out On The Road » Open Letter to TonyHicks re: lead vocal performances
Do you want to hear Tony sing the lead vocal in concert on at least one song?
Yes, I want to hear Tony on lead vocals. He's a great guitarist, but let's hear the singing, too!
82%
 82%  [ 32 ]
No, please stick to guitar and background harmonies. It's what you do best!
17%
 17%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 39
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
SpartyScott Post subject: Open Letter to TonyHicks re: lead vocal performances
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Hey, Tony, I know that you'll be the first to admit that you're not a headlining vocalist, and that you're a guitarist first. But even so, you have to know that you're the most visible link to the Hollies' past (sorry, Bobby, but a lead guitarist who also sings is more noticable than a band's drummer, however important to a band the drumming is). And you also have to know that fans want you front and center now and again.

So Tony, why not step up to the microphone and have at least one song included in each concert (to say nothing of each album!!!) where you take the lead vocal?

And no, I'm not talking about the one-line bits on Too Much Monkey Business, Look Through Any Window, or Carrie Anne, either.

Long Dark Road is the obvious choice for in-concert singing, since many of us have heard recordings of that song back when you used to sing it during the period that Rickfors was in the group. You sang that song as if it was your very own -- no surprise there, since you co-wrote it! In fact, I know of a couple of Hollies fans who consider that song to be one of the best two or three Hollies singles ever. That's pretty high praise, Tony. But beyond that, there's also the the handful of songs that you sang lead on that are already in the band's catalog. I'd pass on Pegasus, but Hillsborough or Look At Life are each good enough songs to do in concert.

How about it, Tony? What the heck, I'll try to make this a poll, even though I don't know how to create polls!
PostPosted:Fri Apr 07, 2006 18:16 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
holliesfan Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

I cast my vote to have Tony take a lead vocal on occasion. Even though I live on this side of the pond I'm sure those that regularly attend Hollies concerts, would love to see Tony stepping up to the mic. Of course whether or not he does would have to be his own personal decision or the decision of the rest of the band. What do you say Tony? .... at least think about it Very Happy
PostPosted:Fri Apr 07, 2006 19:05 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Shelley Post subject: Do we want to see Tony Hicks sing one song in concert?
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Before I make a choice and vote on this, as I have never heard him sing a full song in concert before, can I just ask:

1. Does Tony normally sing a song in concert?

2. Is there a CD I can buy that has him singing a song on, if so which one?

3.How long is this poll open for, because I want to be able to vote on it, but I want to hear him sing first before I make my decision.

Thank you,

Shelley
PostPosted:Fri Apr 07, 2006 21:04 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Absolutely agree here. Tony needs to do some leads on stage for the fans. "Long Dark Road" is at the top of the list. Why this great song has not been performed since 1972 is beyond my comprehension. It is one of The Hollies' most spectacular tracks, showing off the band's most celebrated strength: the harmonies.
PostPosted:Fri Apr 07, 2006 21:05 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject: Re: Do we want to see Tony Hicks sing one song in concert?
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Shelley wrote:
Before I make a choice and vote on this, as I have never heard him sing a full song in concert before, can I just ask:

3.How long is this poll open for, because I want to be able to vote on it, but I want to hear him sing first before I make my decision.

Thank you,

Shelley

Tony sang lead on "Pegasus" (Butterfly CD), "Look at Life" (Hollies Sing Hollies, or "He Ain't Heavy" US LP), "Born A Man" (Out on the Road) ; he also sang the middle parts of "Won't We Feel Good" (Romany), "Carrie-Anne", and "Look Through Any Window".
PostPosted:Fri Apr 07, 2006 21:09 pm

Last edited by Dennis on Sat Apr 08, 2006 6:24 am; edited 1 time in total
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
SpartyScott Post subject: Re: Do we want to see Tony Hicks sing one song in concert?
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Shelley wrote:

Thank you,

Shelley

Shelly, the poll was not created such that it'll close.

Tony Hicks sang lead on Look At Life, which is, I think, on the Confessions of the Mind album (OK, maybe it was Hollies Sing Hollies -- I learned the record on the US LP's, and sometimes forget what song is on what album on UK releases).

He also sang lead on Hillsborough, which was released as a single in the late 1980's. Unfortunately, I don't recall any album that it's on, although I'm sure that someone more familiar with the compilation discs can direct you to it.

And, in 1967's Butterfly album, Tony sings lead on Pegasus.

Unfortunately, Tony's lead performances on Long Dark Road in concert are unavailable and have never been released.

Oh yes, Tony sings lead on Born A Man, which was on the Out On The Road LP and was also a b-side.

Tony also sings the middle vocal on Too Much Monkey Business. He does the middle verse on Carrie Anne, and does his lead vocal bit on Look Through Any Window. Finally, Tony also sings a verse on the b-side mini-masterpiece Open Up Your Eyes.

But what the heck, Shelley, if you're curious about hearing Tony sing, vote "Yes."
PostPosted:Fri Apr 07, 2006 21:16 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Ray Post subject:
Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar

Ahhh ..... have I missed something? I always thought that it was Allan Clake who sang "Look At Life" it certainly has always sounded like his voice on this track. The song was written by Sylvester and Clarke. If it is not Allan singing this song, could some one please clear this up for me. Also this track was from the album "Hollies Sing The Hollies".
Cheers Ray
PostPosted:Fri Apr 07, 2006 21:49 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Anthony Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Hi all,
Great topic, I voted Yes for Tony to sing. Some place here or on Yahoo I said it would be nice if Tony did a solo spot, did a few numbers and tell a few stories about the history of the band. As most of you know he did sing Too Young To Be Married a couple of years ago. I also have a copy of Tony singing Long Dark Road back in the early 70's and it's brilliant, Pegasus would be a great song to sing live also.
bye,
anthony

PostPosted:Fri Apr 07, 2006 22:00 pm
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
James Towill Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Ray wrote:
Ahhh ..... have I missed something? I always thought that it was Allan Clake who sang "Look At Life" it certainly has always sounded like his voice on this track. The song was written by Sylvester and Clarke. If it is not Allan singing this song, could some one please clear this up for me. Also this track was from the album "Hollies Sing The Hollies".
Cheers Ray

It's definitely Tony Hicks, Ray. His best vocal performances on record IMHO are Born A Man and Hillsborough. Cool ...Pegasus Shocked Shocked Crying or Very sad Nooooo! Laughing

PostPosted:Fri Apr 07, 2006 22:09 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Ray Post subject:
Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar

Thanks for that James. I do agree that his vocal on "Born A Man" is excellent, I think probably his best ever, although "Hillsborough" is very good as well. Sorry in addition to this, To me his vocal on BAM is so good I have sometimes wondered why Tony never consisdered doing a solo album.
PostPosted:Fri Apr 07, 2006 22:37 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

James Towill wrote:
Ray wrote:
Cheers Ray

It's definitely Tony Hicks, Ray. His best vocal performances on record IMHO are Born A Man and Hillsborough. Cool ...Pegasus Shocked Shocked Crying or Very sad Nooooo! Laughing

I love "Pegasus". It is a fanciful, charming track.
PostPosted:Sat Apr 08, 2006 6:07 am

Last edited by Dennis on Sat Apr 08, 2006 6:26 am; edited 1 time in total
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Anthony wrote:
Hi all,
Great topic, I voted Yes for Tony to sing. Some place here or on Yahoo I said it would be nice if Tony did a solo spot, did a few numbers and tell a few stories about the history of the band. As most of you know he did sing Too Young To Be Married a couple of years ago. I also have a copy of Tony singing Long Dark Road back in the early 70's and it's brilliant, Pegasus would be a great song to sing live also.
bye,
anthony

Beyond being brilliant, as you say, Anthony, I will go further. The 1972 live version of "Long Dark Road", with Tony on lead vocal and Mikael finishing on lead at the end, is The Hollies' most electrifying live track ever. The studio version is wonderful, but the live version is a rocking tour-de-force, with a great improvised guitar-driven ending, and Mikael Rickfors blazing away on harmonica from the start. Sensational.
PostPosted:Sat Apr 08, 2006 6:15 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
DistantLight Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

I absolutely agree with SpartyScott and have of course voted "yes"! It would be great if Tony would sing one or more lead vocals in concert. "Too Young To Be Married" would, since he sung it in the past, be the most obvious choice but my vote would also be for "Long Dark Road". The original studio version was great and the live version with Tony starting and Mikael Rickfors taking over in the end is fantastic!

Strange that he sings lead on "Look At Life" since it was written by Clarke/Sylvester.

And that's really him on "Born A Man" and the middle section of "Won't We Feel Good That Morning"? Sounds great, I always though it was Mikael Rickfors singing but only higher than he normally does. So these would also be two great songs for him to sing in concert. I'm not sure about "Look At Life", it's a nice song but it's not a concert number I think.

Hillsborough is also a good song and would have deserved more than beeing the B-side to "Baby Come Back". And it is written by Tony but they didn't really believe in their selfwritten material after "A Crazy Steal" anyway.

As I said the best choices would be in my opinion "Long Dark Road", "Born A Man" or "Won't We Feel Good That Morning" with "Long Dark Road" beeing maybe the most logical choice.
PostPosted:Sat Apr 08, 2006 10:14 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
James Towill Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

DistantLight wrote:
And that's really him on "Born A Man" and the middle section of "Won't We Feel Good That Morning"?

Is it not Terry Sylvester who does the middle bit on 'Morning' Question

PostPosted:Sat Apr 08, 2006 12:56 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

James Towill wrote:
DistantLight wrote:
And that's really him on "Born A Man" and the middle section of "Won't We Feel Good That Morning"?

Is it not Terry Sylvester who does the middle bit on 'Morning' Question

It is Tony Hicks.
PostPosted:Sat Apr 08, 2006 16:12 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Out On The Road
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to: