graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Out On The Road » Hollies stage act -- what's new?
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
SpartyScott Post subject: Hollies stage act -- what's new?
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Aside from now performing the songs off of the new album, of course, what are the Hollies with Peter doing onstage that is much different from the Carl years?

FWIW, I have seen that online concert, but I never saw or heard the band with Carl Wayne, except that one song "How Do I Survive."

And of the songs that are performed in concert now and were also performed by the band with Carl Wayne, has there been any new reworking of the old hits with Peter, or are they pretty much the same arrangements except for a different lead vocalist?

And aside from his two or three lines from both Carrie Anne and Look Through Any Window, is Tony Hicks doing any lead vocals in concert? (hey Tony, why don't you break out "Look At Life" or "Hillsborough" on stage?) I also think that Hicks and the band should perform "Long Dark Road" in every show. That's a great, great song. Tony used to sing the lead vocal on that number during the Rickfors years, and as far as I'm concerned it should be a staple at each show)
PostPosted:Mon Apr 03, 2006 13:40 pm

Last edited by SpartyScott on Mon Apr 03, 2006 13:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
James Towill Post subject: Re: Hollies stage act -- what's new?
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

SpartyScott wrote:
I alos think that Hicks should also perform "Long Dark Road" in every show. That's a great, great song. Tony used to sing the lead vocal on that number during the Rickfrors years, and as far as I'm concerned it should be a staple at each show)

You got my vote, Sparty! Very Happy

PostPosted:Mon Apr 03, 2006 13:42 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
hollies Post subject:

Site Admin

The information you are looking for is in the "reviews" section of the website - checkout the tour pages.

Hollies Forum
PostPosted:Mon Apr 03, 2006 13:50 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Anthony Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

I agree, I can not understand why Tony does not do a few numbers on stage, he did a great version of Long Dard Road, I think it would link up the Hollies through all the years if he took over on stage more. I'm sorry I never got to see him do Too Young To Be Married as lead singer. Now to the fans that are lucky to see the shows, does anybody talk about the last 40 years of the band, it's great to go forward but we love a link to the past too.
I am interested to know what is said, more of what the banter is like, hey we all know the songs.
Their banter in Australia with Carl was brilliant, some very funny stuff.

PostPosted:Mon Apr 03, 2006 13:57 pm
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
SpartyScott Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

hollies wrote:
The information you are looking for is in the "reviews" section of the website - checkout the tour pages.

Thanks for the reply, Rob, but I'm still not sure of the answer. I just now read four of the reviews from that area of the website, but no one there really contrasted the band now as compared to Carl Wayne's tenure.

Scott
PostPosted:Mon Apr 03, 2006 14:00 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
carol7cat Post subject:
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

Why does anybody feel the need to compare them to "Carl Waynes Tenure"?
Why not take them as they are? This is 2006 not 1962, bands change with the times due to a number of extenuating circumstances, eg change of singer,musicians,new material.commercial viability.
Virtually no band can sound the sound as they did when they started out!!
I for one look foward to the start of the next tour, not just to see what new songs, sets or ideas they have come up with but to exchange greetings with a band I have come to feel close to.
I still get the same buzz going to see them as a did 18 years ago, and there are not many bands you can say that about!!!
PostPosted:Mon Apr 03, 2006 15:14 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
SpartyScott Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

carol7cat wrote:

Uh, because I would simply like to know what's new?

carol7cat wrote:
This is 2006 not 1962, bands change with the times due to a number of extenuating circumstances, eg change of singer,musicians,new material.commercial viability.

And I wasn't asking about how they're different from 1962, for goodness' sake -- I just want to know what's new in regards to the arrangements and material over the last few years!
PostPosted:Mon Apr 03, 2006 16:10 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
carol7cat Post subject:
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

It depends when you last saw them if at all!
From a purely personal prospective the sound gets better and better.
The arrangement of Here I Go Again sung by Peter Howarth with just a single guitar is pure genius and clearly showcases his vocal talents.
s
SpartyScott wrote:
carol7cat wrote:

Uh, because I would simply like to know what's new?

I hope that if you do get to see them at some point you wil see that the sound now is very unique. Very different to Carl Waynes mastery. A new wizard is at the healm in the shape of Peter Howarth. Hopefully they will produce a live recording so you can see what I mean!!!
carol7cat wrote:
This is 2006 not 1962, bands change with the times due to a number of extenuating circumstances, eg change of singer,musicians,new material.commercial viability.

And I wasn't asking about how they're different from 1962, for goodness' sake -- I just want to know what's new in regards to the arrangements and material over the last few years!
PostPosted:Mon Apr 03, 2006 16:25 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject: Re: Hollies stage act -- what's new?
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

James Towill wrote:
SpartyScott wrote:
I alos think that Hicks should also perform "Long Dark Road" in every show. That's a great, great song. Tony used to sing the lead vocal on that number during the Rickfrors years, and as far as I'm concerned it should be a staple at each show)

You got my vote, Sparty! Very Happy

The live version of "Long Dark Road" from 1972 is a tremendously exciting rocker, one of the best live versions of any song they've ever done. It showed how inventive the band could be when giving a different slant to a familiar studio recording. It also made sense that Tony sang lead; he co-wrote the song with Kenny Lynch. That live version showed how, on stage, with the right song, The Hollies could rock out with the best of 'em.
PostPosted:Wed Apr 05, 2006 7:08 am
graphic
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Out On The Road
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic

Page 1 of 1