The Hollies Forum Index » Words and Music » New Single
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
holliesfan Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Quote:
Lets "Hope" that The Hollies will not keep us in "Suspended Animation" before too long before announcing the next release!!

What is the official process for announcing the next release? Please, someone help!
PostPosted:Tue Apr 04, 2006 0:51 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Sune Post subject:
Banjo

Banjo

Yes Bonus, i totaly agree with you that they shall play Very Last Day and Stewball in Sweden. I think every Holliesfan in Sweden would like them to do that.
PostPosted:Mon Apr 17, 2006 15:45 pm
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject: Re: Some special hits
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Bonus wrote:
Thanks Carol7cat! We will enjoy the gig in Sweden. Itīs an openair show on the bottom of an old mine, which now functions as a concerthall, especially for classical music. And the Hollies are classical.....

As you might know the Hollies had some special hits in Sweden, that werenīt even singles in UK or USA. I think the audience is expecting Very last day (a giant no 1), Stewball and Fifi the flea. But are the boys prepared to perform these songs??

All it would take is some rehearsing. They could perform those songs if they wanted to. And they should, considering they were hits in that country (Sweden).
As for "The Baby", yes, it is one of The Hollies' top singles of all time; very sophisticated sound on that one. Great use of sitar (or is it a guitar sounding like a sitar? I'm not too sure. Similar sound was on "A Better Place").
PostPosted:Tue Apr 18, 2006 5:59 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
DistantLight Post subject: Re: Some special hits
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Dennis wrote:
Great use of sitar (or is it a guitar sounding like a sitar? I'm not too sure. Similar sound was on "A Better Place").

It is an electric sitar. It has the shape of a guitar; I'm not quite sure if it is played like one or how many strings it has. He also uses it on "Magic Woman Touch" and on "I Shall Be Released ". The only time he played a real sitar is as far as I know on "Maker" from the Butterfly album.
You can see the Electric Sitar on the "Capital Gold" concert where he plays it during "The Baby".

By the way, the liner notes on "Staying Power" say that Tony Hicks also plays Banjo, Mandolin and Electric Sitar. Does he play them on the album, too or do they just want to say that he can and has played them through the years because I haven't noticed any of these instruments on the album. Did anybody recognize one of these on the album?
PostPosted:Tue Apr 18, 2006 10:16 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
MichealC Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Six strings! I've stopped myself from buying one on a number of occasions.

Michael
PostPosted:Tue Apr 18, 2006 15:18 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
James Towill Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

I don't hear any mandolin or banjo on Staying Power. Was it not Alan Coates who played mandolin on stage during When I'm Dead And Gone in the late 1990's? Don't think I've seen Hicks play mandolin.

PostPosted:Tue Apr 18, 2006 15:40 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
carol7cat Post subject:
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

I am not sure but I think it was Hicks, I do not remember Coatsey playing it, but he may well have done!!!
What a great song though, I miss that one in the live shows, it certainly got the audience going!, as did "Blowing in the Wind"!
PostPosted:Tue Apr 18, 2006 22:48 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Words and Music
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic

Goto page Previous  1, 2