graphic
Goto page 1, 2  Next
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Out On The Road » Terry Sylvester appearing live in Ohio in June
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
SpartyScott Post subject: Terry Sylvester appearing live in Ohio in June
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Sounds too good to be true, but that's what his website says.

There's a nice ampitheatre at the Columbus Zoo, and that's where he's supposed to appear.

I hope that my schedule allows me to see this -- having only seen the band live after his departure, I'd really like to see Terry play and sing.
PostPosted:Mon Mar 27, 2006 22:22 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
SpartyScott Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

This is pretty cool. It's comfirmed that the wife and I are going to see Terry Sylvester perform on June 17. He's always been among my favorite Hollies (not that this means much, since I pretty much like everyone that was in the band up through 1980).

I'm going to ask the folks there if I can set up my camcorder. I hope that it's allowed.

I saw an ad for the event when I took my family to the zoo last weekend. Hollies management will be pleased to learn that the word "Hollies" is in very small print on the advertisements. The ad looks something like this:

Terry Sylvester (formerly of the Hollies)
The Shangri-Las
Andy Kim

I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for great weather.
PostPosted:Fri Jun 02, 2006 1:10 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

I just got back from Terry's performance at the big annual fundraiser for the Columbus Zoo.

OK, so Terry doesn't hit the notes the way he used to -- he's a lot like Allan was at the end of his career, as far as his voice is concerned.

But, Terry is a solid entertainer and a really likeable guy. He gave me an autograph after he finished his set -- signing my copy of the "Out On The Road" LP, and seemed pleased to chat with an obvious die-hard fan for a few minutes.

Later, when I'm no longer sleepy and feeling the effects of the beer I tossed down, I'll post a song listing of his show and give a few comments.
PostPosted:Sun Jun 18, 2006 2:59 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

The Hollies were never quite the same after Terry (and Bernie) departed. He always had that great hair and look of a rock star.
PostPosted:Sun Jun 18, 2006 15:10 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
holliesfan Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Dennis wrote:
The Hollies were never quite the same after Terry (and Bernie) departed. He always had that great hair and look of a rock star.

I always felt The Hollies sounded best with Terry in the lineup. The harmonies were superb and the blending of Allan's, Tony's and Terry's voices was awesome. Now I'm not suggesting that the Graham era lacked vocal prowess, but to my ears the harmonies improved ten-fold when Terry joined the band. They were sweet, pure and always seemed hit the mark. When listening to the Terry era harmonies I tend to become emotional at times. They are that powerful and moving.
PostPosted:Sun Jun 18, 2006 16:41 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

PostPosted:Sun Jun 18, 2006 17:58 pm

Last edited by SpartyScott on Tue Jun 20, 2006 23:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
James Towill Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Nice photo, Sparty - looking forward to your full report.

Dismal taste in shirts, Terry, and backing musicians haircuts! Laughing

PostPosted:Sun Jun 18, 2006 20:51 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

holliesfan wrote:
Dennis wrote:

I always felt The Hollies sounded best with Terry in the lineup. The harmonies were superb and the blending of Allan's, Tony's and Terry's voices was awesome. Now I'm not suggesting that the Graham era lacked vocal prowess, but to my ears the harmonies improved ten-fold when Terry joined the band. They were sweet, pure and always seemed hit the mark. When listening to the Terry era harmonies I tend to become emotional at times. They are that powerful and moving.

Yes, especially on "Gasoline Alley Bred" (one of their all-time best and most underrated singles) and the live version of "Too Young to be Married". Terry added an emotional depth to the group's sound that wasn't there with Nash. With the 1972-3 Rickfors lineup, Terry sang more leads and was even more vital to the band's sound.
And what about Terry's fine lead vocal on "Jesus Was A Crossmaker"? 33 years later, it ends up as the opening song in a major motion picture.
PostPosted:Sun Jun 18, 2006 21:59 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Here's the other photo that we took at Terry's show (reduced in size so that message board format doesn't get messed up)

PostPosted:Tue Jun 20, 2006 2:55 am

Last edited by SpartyScott on Tue Jun 20, 2006 23:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

James Towill wrote:
Nice photo, Sparty - looking forward to your full report.

Dismal taste in shirts, Terry, and backing musicians haircuts! Laughing

Gotta agree with the shirt comment. It's a far cry from his days with The Hollies, expecially the cool shirts he wore in the '70s plus that great tiger print jacket. I'd like one of those myself! And Terry's hairstyle isn't what it used to be, either.
PostPosted:Tue Jun 20, 2006 7:10 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Shelley Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Hey leave the shirts alone, that's similar to what Cliff's backing singers wore at the On The Beach concert Laughing.

They are good pictures Scott, you must have had a good seat.
PostPosted:Tue Jun 20, 2006 7:21 am
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Shelley wrote:
Hey leave the shirts alone, that's similar to what Cliff's backing singers wore at the On The Beach concert Laughing.

They are good pictures Scott, you must have had a good seat.

Those Hawaiian shirts are a dime a dozen. Very unhip, like the Tom Selleck wardrobe from Magnum P.I.
PostPosted:Tue Jun 20, 2006 15:44 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Shelley Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Dennis wrote:
Those Hawaiian shirts are a dime a dozen. Very unhip, like the Tom Selleck wardrobe from Magnum P.I.

But good for the sunshine though, not that I would wear them though, but Cliff seems to thinks his backing singers must like wearing then, I've watched two concert dvd's where there are wearing them, and that's in recent years Very Happy .
PostPosted:Tue Jun 20, 2006 17:01 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

OK, here's a rundown of the show. As I said earlier, Terry can no longer really hit the notes as you would expect a pro to do. I won't comment further on that.

In reading the event's promotional materials, I had thought that Terry would be playing later in the evening. I only happened to be walking by the performance space when I heard Carrie Anne playing. If that wasn't the first song of Terry's show, it had to have been the second or third. For the purpose of this post, I'll assume that was the opener.

The musicians were the same guys who would later back up the Shangri-La's and Andy Kim. So, we had a five piece rock and roll setup, unlike Terry's acoustic one-man show that we're all seeing. In addition to a lead guitarist, drummer, and bass player, there was also a piano/keyboard player (along with Terry on acoustic guitar). While Terry did mention the Hollies a couple of time during the evening, that point was not emphasized. So, Hollies, LTD attorneys can relax. Terry didn't pull an Eric Haydock and try to pass himself off as the Hollies.

In all cases Terry sang lead.

1. Carrie Anne

2. I'll Be Your Baby Tonight - told the crowd that it was a Dylan song.

3. Just One Look - just as the Hollies used to do in concert, Terry misidentified Doris Troy as the songwriter. Doris had the original hit version, but she was not the composer. Don't the Hollies ever read the songwriting credits on their own LP's?

4. I Wanna Make It With You - Terry told us that it was a Bread song, and that his friend and former Bread member James Griffin was unfortunately no longer living.

5. Bus Stop - Terry played his half of the acoustic solo properly. Could Graham do that? Laughing

6. Don't Let The Sun Catch You Crying - Said that it was a hit for "his good friend Gerry of Gerry & The Pacemakers." Terry also said that Gerry had undergone bypass heart surgery, and was doing well. However, he had to change the name of the band to "Gerry Needs A Pacemaker." (yes, that got a laugh, particularly from the band)

7. Hippy Hippy Shake - Terry talked about his time with the Swinging Blue Jeans, and how the original version of this song was only about a minute and a half. Terry also said that he once gave tickets to his doctor up in Toronto to see him perform. When the doc saw him later, he was told "A man your age should not be performing a song called 'The Hippy Hippy Shake.' " Laughing Actually, this song requires a lot of screaming by the vocalist, and Terry did it well. It was probably his best performance of the evening.

8. The Air That I Breathe - Terry said that the band was fortunate to keep finding great songs, and praised the quality of this song.

9. Till There Was You - Terry pointed out that Paul McCartney was to turn 64 the next day. He also said that this was performed by the Beatles on the Ed Sullivan Show, and that half the women in America fell in love with Paul that night.

10. Long Cool Woman In A Black Dress - Terry played the intro of the song along with the lead guitarist, and it sounded pretty good.

11. He Ain't Heavy, He's My Brother - Terry told us how wonderful the lyrics were, and how the world would be such a better place if we all lived by the words of this song. He also told us that it was a 1969 UK hit, but mostly hit the rest of the world in 1970. The keyboardist played the harmonica part, and did it quite well.

Yes, while people like me would have loved to have heard Terry sing things like Cable Car, Indian Girl, and No More Riders, it's obvious that for a general public audience who didn't come to see him, doing the hits is the right way to go. So, I can't fault the material.

Is Terry like he was in 1969? Nope. But, who is? The man's still out there working hard and keeping the Hollies music alive in North America. For that, I'm grateful. I'm glad I finally saw Terry in person.
PostPosted:Tue Jun 20, 2006 20:24 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
MichealC Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Doris Troy did write Just One Look, or at least co-wrote it under her pseudenom Payne.

Micheal
PostPosted:Tue Jun 20, 2006 22:06 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Out On The Road
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic