graphic
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Out On The Road » Hollies/Cliff Richard Concert?
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
holliesfan Post subject: Hollies/Cliff Richard Concert?
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

I touched on this briefly in one of my replies but would now like to open it up for discussion. What would it take to create a bill featuring The Hollies and Cliff Richard? Is it doable? How would one go about to make it a reality? What parties need to get involved? Any thoughts or comments?
PostPosted:Mon Mar 27, 2006 14:27 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Shelley Post subject: Hollies/Cliff Richard Concert?
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

holliesfan wrote:
I touched on this briefly in one of my replies but would now like to open it up for discussion. What would it take to create a bill featuring The Hollies and Cliff Richard? Is it doable? How would one go about to make it a reality? What parties need to get involved? Any thoughts or comments?

Well a few years back when Cliff Richard was doing his Summer Nights concerts and we heard he was getting a support act, we all hoped it would have been MHM (Mullins Howarth Murrell), it wasn't, he had Katherine Jenkins some nights and Ameici Forever on other nights.

If Cliff & The Hollies were to appear on the same bill, Cliff would have to find another backing singer for the night, lots of fans out there wouldn't like that, we all like the backing singers he has got.

As far as I and others know, Peter is still very much a backing singer of Cliff's, as I said in another thread, it would be a bit of a challenge for Peter.

I wonder how Cliff would feel to be on the same bill as The Hollies in particular Peter, I do know when The Hollies played the Royal Albert Hall last year, Cliff seemed to really enjoy the show.
PostPosted:Mon Mar 27, 2006 14:37 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
holliesfan Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Perhaps one might ask what the purpose would be for putting together a Hollies/Cliff concert. After all, both acts seem to be doing quite well on their own. I would imagine the Jimmy Smith Agency along with Cliff's representation would need to sit down and work out the logistics/details. Of course on a higher level, Cliff and the Hollies would need to reach some sort of agreement to even put on such a show.
PostPosted:Mon Mar 27, 2006 15:04 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

The Hollies have been a headlining act, at least in the UK, since the mid-1960s. I think the last time they were second on a bill was when they toured with Herman's Hermits in the US in 1966, something that Allan Clarke alluded to, in a disparaging way, years back. (There was a US TV special at the time with both bands interviewed, and Nash, naturally, did all the talking for the band, prattling on about how pop music is so meaningful.) I can't see The Hollies as an opening act for anyone. I don't think it's a good idea at all. Besides, I seriously doubt they would agree to it.
PostPosted:Mon Mar 27, 2006 16:10 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
James Towill Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Some valid points there Dennis.

PostPosted:Mon Mar 27, 2006 16:17 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Shelley Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

I suppose it would be nice to see them together but perhaps at a charity event or something, but who would go first, who would be top of the bill?
PostPosted:Mon Mar 27, 2006 17:25 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
holliesfan Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Shelley wrote:
I suppose it would be nice to see them together but perhaps at a charity event or something, but who would go first, who would be top of the bill?

Again, I suppose that would depend on discussions between the Jimmy Smith Agency, Cliff's representation, the Hollies, and Cliff himself.
PostPosted:Mon Mar 27, 2006 18:23 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
SpartyScott Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Shelley wrote:

About a decade ago, Crosby, Stills & Nash toured with Chicago. I saw them at the outdoor ampitheatre on Mud Island in Memphis, Tennessee.

While chatting with the audience, a Chicago memeber said that the bands were alternating who would perform first each night.

I suspect that on that evening, each band would have preferred to have been the opening act, so that they would finish early enough to get over to Beale Street for some BBQ pork and blues music! Laughing
PostPosted:Mon Mar 27, 2006 18:23 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Chicago and CSN - that's a bit of an odd combination Exclamation

PostPosted:Mon Mar 27, 2006 18:59 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
carol7cat Post subject:
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

They could share top billing as part of a charity 60's event.!
PostPosted:Mon Mar 27, 2006 19:52 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

carol7cat wrote:
charity 60's event.!

What - age or decade? Wink

Why should they start doing package tours now after all this time?

PostPosted:Mon Mar 27, 2006 19:59 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
carol7cat Post subject:
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

eh! we were having a theoretical discussion!!!!!!!
The Event was a massive collaboration of 60's music from a vast number of well established bands, none of them a package tour!!!!
Genuinely wanting to come together to celebrate the music of the 1960's!
PostPosted:Mon Mar 27, 2006 20:30 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

The Hollies, in particular Allan Clarke, have adamantly refused to classify themselves as a "60s group", and rightfully so. They recorded their most substantial music in the 1970s. They would never go for anything resembling a tribute to the '60s, especially now that they have a major label new release.
PostPosted:Mon Mar 27, 2006 20:40 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

SpartyScott wrote:
Shelley wrote:

About a decade ago, Crosby, Stills & Nash toured with Chicago. I saw them at the outdoor ampitheatre on Mud Island in Memphis, Tennessee.

While chatting with the audience, a Chicago memeber said that the bands were alternating who would perform first each night.

I suspect that on that evening, each band would have preferred to have been the opening act, so that they would finish early enough to get over to Beale Street for some BBQ pork and blues music! Laughing

Makes sense, since Cranky, Spills, and Cash had that "weiner" album ("Live It Up") back in the early '80s. They must love BBQ. The cover art on that album was worse than any Hollies cover. Weenies, indeed.
PostPosted:Mon Mar 27, 2006 20:48 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
carol7cat Post subject:
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

As I said in my previous post I thought this was just a theoretical discussion anway!!
I think the main reason it came up was through Peter's link to Cliff Richard!!
I don't think The Hollies of today would shy away from any charity event if the pervailing circumstances were there, as in the concert for Francis House!!
Cliff Richard and The Hollies have both made outstanding contributions to the world of music, and I respect them for that!!
PostPosted:Mon Mar 27, 2006 20:57 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Out On The Road
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next